Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

I got a question that may have been answered already but I dont want to read 69 pages to find the answer

I had sexy shrimp im my RSM last time I had it setup and they did great until my sixline wrasse decided they were a tasty treat

However I am setting up the RSM again and doing it WAY diferent, I want to add 5-6 sexy shrimp to the tak because mt wife LOVES watching them shake there booty when they walk and dance

My plan for inverts in the tank is going to be some cerith snails and 2 fighting conchs for a cleanup crew, HOWEVER I would like to add a pair of either blood shrimp OR skunk cleaners in there since everytime they breed the eggs are fanastic coral food for the night feeding corals

Does anyone see a problem with either of the cleaner shrimp attacking or killing my sexy shrimp??

I have my 3mac sexiies with a fire shrimp and they seem ok. I added the fire shrimp and first and he was big when I got him and I then added the sexiest a month later. I thought once I saw him go after a sexy but I can't be sure I was told by the lfs the fireshrimp can't catch a sexy. But no problems for me yet.

Except for my question above about them eating/hangingout on my tree

soooo i've read these sexy little things do better in groups?

is it possible to keep just one? would it be too stressed out?

also would a coral banded shrimp bully it?

im re-doing a pico and would love to add some sexy!!!

CBS bully EVERYTHING they get in front of them, I will NEVER add another one to my tank again...The only ones I like to put in my tank is mated pairs of the gold cbs's since they stay small and are VERY passive with regards to other inverts in the tank

Just received 6 sexy shrimp from Live Aquaria. Wow, these are smaller than I thought they would be. After 1 day, I can find five of them. Here's a quick picture of 2 of them

sexyshrimp.jpg

Going to buy some shrimp pellets to try and spot feed them.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got 5 sexies for my 2.5 pico!

post-69385-1318728631_thumb.jpg

=)

I put 5 sexies in a 2.5g with a frogspawn and they tried to trample it to death. They even managed to trample a watermelon mushroom to death. Just not a lot for 5 sexies to do in such a small space I guess. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Incidentally, you appear to have 1 male and 3 females. I can't say for the other, but I'm leaning female. With luck, they'll make babies. :)

• 2 weeks later...

how do you sex them? does it matter what they are in a tank? I have 3 and have no idea what they are I'm just wondering they always seem happy but 2 of them are better friends and the 3rd is somewhat a loner

how do you sex them? does it matter what they are in a tank? I have 3 and have no idea what they are I'm just wondering they always seem happy but 2 of them are better friends and the 3rd is somewhat a loner

Originally I had 2 males, the smaller one was always a loner because the larger male would chase him away from the females.

You can sex them by looking at the tail. Female tails are fatter and typically have a double white spot near the middle, while males only have a single in that location. You can probably find some pics if you look around. It's really pretty easy to tell the difference once you know what you're looking for.

Deleted User 6

WHY WON'T MY SEXIES MAKE THE SEX?!

I have 2 males and 2 females. One of the males has formed a harem of sorts with the two females, BUT THEY AREN'T MAKIN THE BABBIES!

WHY WON'T MY SEXIES MAKE THE SEX?!

I have 2 males and 2 females. One of the males has formed a harem of sorts with the two females, BUT THEY AREN'T MAKIN THE BABBIES!

Welcome to my world. Had 2 males and 3 females, no luck. Lost 1 male and still waiting to see.

What size tank are you using? I have mine in a 7g system. I'm wondering if salinity fluctuations are to blame.

I have been keeping a couple sexy's in my Biocube29 and I just added an RBTA yesterday for my clowns. The sexy's have been spending a lot of time in the nem and are picking it at the tentacles. I know they host in nems, but it looks like they're picking at the tips.

Should I be concerned?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

figure ill add one can see all nine of my sexies the 9th is hiding dead center in the dark

they nip at my maxies occasionally but they do not seem to mind.

its my 5 gallon with fuge/skimmer i do water changes i prommace they are all going on about 4 months min atm some are about 6 months old the tanks has been up for about 9 months.

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

That porcelian's not to shabby. keep wishing my lfs would get a white one in...

here's my pair of sexys hanging out on their kenya tree. I have 3 in total but 2 seem a lot closer than the third... they are hosted by the tree and a purple gargonia... they seem to love hanging out on both. very cool

20111207213331113.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a total newb in the nano world, and I am, in fact still setting up my first 29 BC. (Bought a mini arctica chiller that ended up not working, so I'm just waiting on fittings for a 1/10 I have)

I've spent countless hours on NR, and this sexy shrimp thread is one of my favorites. So a pico is clearly the next progression.

So the real point of my post... I've seen a few mentions of Sexy suicide. Would you recommend not going topless? Or would going without a lid be okay if my LR wasn't so tall.

Would 2 Sexy Shrimp (1 Male and 1 Female) be happy in a 2 Gallon Pico? I want to breed them.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

Yup, plenty of room!

I'm a total newb in the nano world, and I am, in fact still setting up my first 29 BC. (Bought a mini arctica chiller that ended up not working, so I'm just waiting on fittings for a 1/10 I have)

I've spent countless hours on NR, and this sexy shrimp thread is one of my favorites. So a pico is clearly the next progression.

So the real point of my post... I've seen a few mentions of Sexy suicide. Would you recommend not going topless? Or would going without a lid be okay if my LR wasn't so tall.

:welcome:

I did have one sexy jump out of the tank so I would keep some kind of cover on the tank just to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a picture of my Sexy Shrimp after they spawned. (the shrimplets are the blurry, greyish streaks)

DSC05768.jpg

The female released the eggs shortly after I turned the lights off in my aquarium.

It has been about 2-3 weeks since I first got them.

I believe the female conceived in the bucket I was using to acclimate them (Lol :P ).

I plan to raise at least one batch of larvae as soon I set up my newest aquarium (part of that aquarium will be a 20 gallon Long DIY kriesel).

For more pictures go to my tank thread (Wizzy's 2 Gallon Fluval Spec).

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

Would 2 Sexy Shrimp (1 Male and 1 Female) be happy in a 2 Gallon Pico? I want to breed them.

Enough space, but it's hard to say what the odds are they'll mate. Better to have at least two of each. But more then that in that amount of space and they might start to pick on the soft corals. I had 6 in a 2g that would have eventually killed my frogspawn, but over feeding might have prevented it, I'm not certain.

I've seen a few mentions of Sexy suicide. Would you recommend not going topless? Or would going without a lid be okay if my LR wasn't so tall.

They're sexier with a tank top. :) They'll follow film algae right up to the surface sometimes, then if they bolt, they can accidently bolt right out of the water. They tend to look higher up when hungry, I've noticed.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to a male/female ratio? I wanted to put 4-6 in my 8g

I can't give you a ratio, but I do recommend at least two mature males and two mature females. I also recommend the two males be similar in size. It's a hunch, but when I had one clear alpha male and one clear subordinate male, the females didn't seem as interested in mating. But I could be wrong about that.

I plan to raise at least one batch of larvae as soon I set up my newest aquarium (part of that aquarium will be a 20 gallon Long DIY kriesel).

I'm rather fond of the 10g for larvae this small. I can point you to a good jug to use if you're interested.

Edited by Whys