Pod Your Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

md you could go 5-7 maybe a few more. however, you will have to constantly feed them to avoid picking at corals. i feed mine twice a day now. feeding this much requires more frequent water changes or maybe skimming. i have always wanted a sexy army, a bakers dozen would be cool.

Does anyone else's sexies eat all of their Xenia? I can't keep the stuff alive for more then a week because of the constant picking. I feed the tank at least once a day and sometimes twice.

i wish mine ate my xenia....

md you could go 5-7 maybe a few more. however, you will have to constantly feed them to avoid picking at corals. i feed mine twice a day now. feeding this much requires more frequent water changes or maybe skimming. i have always wanted a sexy army, a bakers dozen would be cool.

ok cool, I think I'll do 5....they cost a lot...$18/each

what? i would not pay that much. i know you are in ak, but there has to be a cheaper source for them. try online ,any more than 10-12 bucks sounds steep.

what? i would not pay that much. i know you are in ak, but there has to be a cheaper source for them. try online ,any more than 10-12 bucks sounds steep.

im in AR and my LFS sells the for $18 I know its crap

You can see the whole sexy family at 1:50+ in this video. There are eight in my 90 gallon now.

th_20110423198.jpg

Got 6 new ones yesterday from Live Aquaria. They were waaaaay tinier than any I've seen before. Hopefully they don't end up as lunch.

20110423174.jpg

20110423172.jpg

20110423168.jpg

20110423167.jpg

Lalani, what kind of shots do you need to sex them for me?

So far since having them they have been well behaved. Having the maxi-mini's reduces wandering and makes it really easy to feed them. I simply squirt food onto the anemone which the sexy's than eat right off it!

The sixline likes to eye them up too, no issues so far.

Sexy murder!

Damn clown!

He's killed few..

Eek! :scarry:

Lalani, what kind of shots do you need to sex them for me?

Profile shots work the best, and I agree with cheeto. First one is hard to tell but might be a male also.

I can't keep my 5 from eating coral. My latest attempt was to split my light cycle so I can feed at 7am and 7pm. The shrimp still pick at the Xenia and zoas. The only corals they don't pick at are my rics!

• 2 weeks later...

wow i just witnessed something truly amazing tonight! my sexy shrimp bred and released hundreds of mini sexy shrimp babies! its a real shame they probably wont make it with all the flow in my tank :\

Hi all! :)

I recently bought these beautiful shrimp to my nano.

When I made ​​a movie that comes pretty close to the shrimp. Then I saw that they have on their rostrum / antennule two dense rows of hairs with which they seem to filter water for food in addition to the usual picking after food. They seem to scratch of the hair and through the legs quickly placed in the mouth. Really interesting.

Is there anyone who knows more about this?

Watch the video and turn on full screen and HD quality. After twenty second it would be more clearly.

/ Daniel

Edited by Broddan
  • 3 weeks later...
Playapixie

I got three sexies today! They are hanging out together out in the open under the moon lights and seem to be doing fine in my Solana 34 so far. However, after reading up on them today, I believe I have 3 females. Is there some compelling reason to add a male or two, or will three ladies be just as happy together? I'm not planning to try to rear any young, just wondering if I'll miss out on some sexy awesomeness if I don't add boys...

• 3 weeks later...
nathanq.inc

I was really thinking about getting some of these, but I know I can't. My pep and skunk would tear them to pieces... plus target feeding would be impossible with my skunk who believes that he deserves to get to eat everything I put in my tank (including a small pep I tried to add last month, it was barbaric).

Just thought I'd vent my frustration! However I'm sorely tempted to get a small pico just for some of these interesting little fellows! (and a green clown goby)

I currently have 5 sexy shrimp (2M3F) in a 7.5g breeder (2.5g display, 5g sump). The sump has some liverock and the display has a couple small chucks of liverock rubble. The only other thing in the display is a half inch sandbed. I tried putting a frogspawn frag in there, but they nearly trampled it to death. So about the only natural food source is the small initial diatom algae bloom on the sandbed.

Currently, I'm feeding small slivers of Formula 1 every other day, but I'm concerned it may not be an entirely balanced diet. The shrimp cleared the rubble of any film algae within the first 2 days and tho Formula 1 does contain a small amount of vegetable matter, the majority of it is meat and the veggies tend to float away when the meat is picked at with small claws. I'm going to try giving them a small leaf of Nori and see how they take to that.

Anyone have any suggestions for a more balanced diet?

Edited by Whys
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
obsessedwithfish

soooo i've read these sexy little things do better in groups?

is it possible to keep just one? would it be too stressed out?

also would a coral banded shrimp bully it?

im re-doing a pico and would love to add some sexy!!!

I bought one sexy the other day, his name is Bubba.

He seems to like hanging out on this one LR I have which has a sponge and a brain coral. He doesn't move much, (and yes he's alive, swings his tush). I did feed the tank some frozen shrimp and marine snow even though I don't have any fish, just Bubba and 3 hermits. (Corals LOVED the marine snow! My anemone (called happy) became enormous!)

The LFS did not advise me about anything to do with these guys, or maybe it's this one guy at this one store. But anyway, it is really annoying that he can be so blase about everything. "ehh just put em in, oh he'll be fine, yeah no problem". ugh.

• 5 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

Question: one of my 4 sexies has been picking at a ricordea for a couple weeks now, and the ric is pissed and shriveled. I can't tell if the sexy is eating the ric, or just bothering it. Any way to remedy the problem? They get fed every other day with Hikari Marine S pellets.

Deleted User 6

Everything else is good. It's just one sexy and he only pics at one ric. Incidentally, he's the one that gets left out of the other 3 sexies' pow-wows.

• 2 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

Stupid shrimp. I think he's killed the thing. Hopefully he's slated his thirst for ric guts and will leave the others alone. If he moves on to another one, he's coming out.

In other news, why won't my sexies sex it up? There's 4 of them. I should have babbies by now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys i need some sexy help. i recently got 3 from a lfs and they're awesome, except they still seem scared of me and hide in the back of the tank. Anyway I've recently started noticing them standing on my kenya tree... are they eating it? they're pissing him off that's for sure. I try to spot feed them but i dont have pellets (yet) so its somewhat difficult but i put food right down in front of them and i see them grab it so i dont know if they're still super hungry or are just hanging out on the tree...

any help would be great the tree is still pretty small and is my first coral so i would hate for them to kill it.