Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Harlequins are peaceful, I believe. They really aren't suitable for picos, and you do realize the amount of care these guys need, right? They only eat starfish! $$$

Edited by Lalani

Oh wow

I did not do enough research.

I have called many different places within 15 miles of where I live and nobody has sexy shrimp. One guy thought that I was making a joke and started geting an attitude with me. He told me that there is no such as a sexy shrimp. What a moron.

So what is a good small shrimp for a 3 gal pico?

None of my LFSs carry sexy shrimp, so I had to get one to order mine. They didn't know anything about sexies either. In a 3gal., you are really limited to either sexy anemone shrimp or bumble bee shrimp, which I have no personal experience. Maybe someone else has other suggestions. :)

Edited by Lalani

I have never seen any bumble bee shrimp at my LFS either. I have found one place near me that says that they will have sexies by the middle of the week. I guess that I will have to wait.

Thanks for all of the help :happy: .

No prob, Mr. Glass, hope you get your sexy on! :lol:

hecsrt-4, great pics! Looks like one lucky little male (left) and his two lovely women (right). :D

yankeereefer

great thread so far-

Added a few more zoa and mushroom frags today during w/c on the pico - So far the trio just likes the back of the tank, only periodically showing themselves out in the front. Will try and adjust the flow again tomorrow to see if that's the problem.

Luckily I was home today - The hagen elite mini I was using to keep the prime in my utube decided to fry - I happened to be walking by and heard something funny coming from the pico - I looked and all of a sudden heard sizzling and saw smoke :o coming from the "sump" - I immediately pulled the mini out and pulled the plug. Looks like the power cord seal was breached. So far it doesn't look like there are any problems with the shrimp.

Utube overflow may be the wrong choice here - I am considering disconnecting the "back to back" sump and just going with an ac20 hob filter

I haven't posted pics yet cuz the shrimp haven't been visible

Edited by yankeereefer

Wow, what a crazy thing to happen, and you were walking by at just the right time!

Its amazing how many things can go wrong with these tanks. I'm just waiting for something to blow, crack, break, stick, or fry on my tanks.

I have an AC mini on the back of the Sexy Tank on full flow and the shrimp seem happy with it.

No prob, Mr. Glass, hope you get your sexy on! :lol:

hecsrt-4, great pics! Looks like one lucky little male (left) and his two lovely women (right). :D

Thanks he is a lucky little guy. He just finished eating Rods Food too, that he took from the frogspawn that they are hosting.

Thanks he is a lucky little guy. He just finished eating Rods Food too, that he took from the frogspawn that they are hosting.

I am just starting a 75G and was considering 3-5 sexies, how do they do in a large tank? For fish I am considering:

1 lawnmower blenny

2 ocerelas clowns

1 Coral Beauty Angelfish

maybe a mandarin much later

Would sexies be OK with these fish?

The blenny, mandarin, and occelaris clowns shouldn't bother them at all, but I'm not sure about the coral beauty. Maybe someone else will know. But the main issue would be: If you put even 10 sexy shrimp in a 75gal. tank, you will most likely never see them. They are tiny and in a tank that size with larger fish (larger than gobies), they will probably stay hidden in the rocks.Then there is an issue of them possibly having a problem getting enough food and they could begin nipping at your corals. Its completely up to you, because I know I love these little guys, but you probably won't ever see them in a tank that size.

Edited by Lalani

I finally got a couple okay pictures of my sexies! Here they are. These were just taken this morning.

The last picture is my tank this morning. My brother just gave so great frags yesterday so now my tank is finally starting to get some color!

This is my first time posting pics and I don't think I did it right. I hope they show up. If not I will try again tonight.

What do ya know! I did it right! :)

post-34856-1206295337_thumb.jpg

post-34856-1206295390_thumb.jpg

post-34856-1206295408_thumb.jpg

Edited by jennifro
el fabuloso
IMG_0403.jpg

Ha ha! I love this pic! They look like they're mooning the camera. :lol:

jennifro, great pics! Do they stay in that corner all the time?

As for keeping sexies with other shrimps, I think it varies from shrimp to shrimp. Constantocean kept a peppermint shrimp in his sexy tank and they got along just fine. Not sure about other shrimps though so if anyone else with any experience can chime in it would be great!

does anyone know if any other shrimp can be kept with sexies ?

such as : Pep, Skunk or Fire ?

Like fab said, it all depends!

I finally got a couple okay pictures of my sexies! Here they are. These were just taken this morning.

Cuties!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Looks like two females!

Reef Chicks

Hey guys! I went out of town to the boonies for Easter and just got back. Great work on the thread Lalani! I left early Friday morning and just got back. I acclimated my 5 sexies into my 2.5 gallon on Thursday and was so scared coming into the house thinking all sorts of things could have gone wrong with them. But thankfully they were ok. I did a head count and found each of them standing at the very top of the corals at the tippy top of the tank. It was hilarious. Each of them on a different coral, waving their tails in the current. I was so glad to see that they all made it! I meant to ask you Lalani & The Fabulous Shrimp Pimp before I left on Friday: what do you guys feed your sexies? I got them flake food that is pirulina enriched and some pellets with cyclopeeze. I fed some of each before I left but didn't have time to check if they ate it or not.

BTW: There was a previous question about keeping Harlequins with sexies in a pico. I have a Harlequin and from what I can tell, he is not aggressive at all. I have him in my 3.5 gallon and feed him one sand sifting starfish a month. It takes him a while to eat it all.

Reef Chicks

Oh, and for those of you interested in sexies and can't find them at your LFS, I got mine here: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEXY-shrimp-invertebra...1QQcmdZViewItem

They came out to $12 shipped (I am in the same state as the seller though) but even if they were more $, I would definately recommend Christina at piece-of-the-reef. She has excellent prices on livestock and shipping rates, and awesome customer service.

jennifro, great pics! Do they stay in that corner all the time?

Thanks! When I got the first one last Tuesday she was all over the tank all the time. Then I brought the other one home on Thursday and since then they were staying pretty close to that rock. Yesterday my brother game me a mushroom, pipe organ, green star polyp, and the thing that looks like a xenia (it looks just like one to me but my bro said the guy he got it from said it wasn't) and a couple left handed hermits. Oh and that green algae stuff to that is back in the left corner. From the time I got up today they have been pretty much all over the tank. So I don't know if they are feeling more at home or if they are just really into the new stuff! But the still stay pretty close to each other. They still aren't really eating. But I will try again tonight and see how they do.

Cuties!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Looks like two females!

Thanks, I think so too! I was thinking the one on the right might be a male. He is a bit thinner and smaller then the one on the left. But I am not really sure. Any one else think they might both be female?

TheUnfocusedOne
Oh, and for those of you interested in sexies and can't find them at your LFS, I got mine here: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEXY-shrimp-invertebra...1QQcmdZViewItem

They came out to $12 shipped (I am in the same state as the seller though) but even if they were more $, I would definately recommend Christina at piece-of-the-reef. She has excellent prices on livestock and shipping rates, and awesome customer service.

woooooooooooooow

i wouldnt mind having a 15,000g POOL as my tank

thats really really cool

Edited by TheUnfocusedOne

phishyaly: So glad to hear your little guys are doing well, they are such characters! :lol:

I feed mine flake food and I think Fab drops pellets in for them.

woooooooooooooow

i wouldnt mind having a 15,000g POOL as my tank

thats really really cool

It is pretty cool but not very pretty. I wonder how they get stuff out of it. They must have to scuba dive in or something? Now that would be cool!

It is pretty cool but not very pretty. I wonder how they get stuff out of it. They must have to scuba dive in or something? Now that would be cool!

In that case, I wanna work there!!!

I am just starting a 75G and was considering 3-5 sexies, how do they do in a large tank? For fish I am considering:

1 lawnmower blenny

2 ocerelas clowns

1 Coral Beauty Angelfish

maybe a mandarin much later

Would sexies be OK with these fish?

I have my shrimp in a 12g, but the previous owner had them in a 40B. They used to hang out under the frogspawn, so they were visible. I dont know about 5 in a 75g, I would go with atleast 7 if you want to do them in a bigger tank.

Fabuloso they are mooning the camera :D

bluegrizzlies1

Im having a problem with my sexy he likes to go over the overflow does this happen to anyone else.

He is in a 12 gallon aquapod good thing he gets stuck in my filter floss or he would be in the chambers for good.

Hmm, I don't have any overflows, so maybe someone else can chime in. I know that mine sometime like to stand on the filter intake and never get stuck, even with the AC mini on full flow. Its strange for a sexy to go so high up and get stuck in an overflow. I'm just guessing that he is the only sexy shrimp in your tank? If so, he may be searching for other sexies. OR he is a thrill seeker! :D