Pod Your Reef

121a's 150gRR PICS

121a

thanks!

i got rid of it about 6 months ago it was tripping the GFCI when it was not even pumping water. it just died, so i ordered an external pump, a Genx mak 4 i thinks. it is a great, quiet pump. never going to get a mag pump again.

• 1 month later...

ok i posted this so many times, i know. also the pump is moved away from it.

its getting about the time for new light bulbs, $200...

i was thinking XM10ks or 12K reeflux bulbs. I had the reeflux bulbs before and did not like them, but i didn't really have a good reflector, now i do, so maybe they'll look better. Nothing new in the tank, though i did just do a water change.

sorry to change the subject but what does RR mean

man i really wish i had the money to set up my 150 i got it free and its pre plummed for a sump /fuge

now im thinking about selling it

sorry to change the subject but what does RR mean

man i really wish i had the money to set up my 150 i got it free and its pre plummed for a sump /fuge

now im thinking about selling it

RR= Reef Ready. Your 150 is Reef Ready.

• 2 weeks later...

so everything is hanging in there. Right now i have XM15Ks and they are way to artificial in color. Bulbs are going to need changing soon so anyone gots any ideas on what bulb would be crisp white with blue hue?

• 9 months later...

so it has been a while and the tank is still up and running. i think i finally found our problem with keeping some types of coral. Temperature stability. Only when the tank was setup did we have a thermometer on it, after the battery died i did not replace it. unfortunately one of our 250w heaters stopped working (no heat) and the tank was going through sever swings in temps, 73 at night to 82 during the day. That problem has been fixed.

also we lost our 2+ year old purple tang as she got stuck to one of our power heads.

lastly we got rid of our lunar wrasse in hopes of keeping a CUC and inverts.

• 4 years later...

Can't believe I could find this thread, it was like a time capsual seeing all these pictures and posts!!!

Anyway, since this is my only tank that is currently running, I figured I'd update this thread a bit.

Pretty much everything has changed aside from the lighting, tank, and sump. Only a few corals from five years ago remain (either sold or died due to equipment malfunctions or power outages) till today. Same with the fish.

Current Inhabitants

-Blue Tang

-Yellow Tang

-2x Damnsels

- Lawn mower Blenny

- False Perc Clown

- Very large starfish

- Various hermits and snails

All fish and snails are over 3 years old and very healthy

Corals are mainly softies and LPS. I leanred I don't have the time or the resources to keep SPS happy and I'm focusing on creating a full tank with softies and LPS. We have two very large show quality pieces of Toadstool Leather Coral and Finger Leather Coral plus a bunch of RBTA that keep splitting. Also have some red mushrooms and fuzzy green ones along with other common softies.

With this choice in stocking, I realized that having a skimmer is pointless. These corals thrive in water that isn't prestine (not saying I have dirty water) and I can skip water changes for months at a time and things still grow and survive. Though I am planning to keep up more on maintenance with smaller water changes more frequently. Also, since there isn't much of a bioload in the tank, running carbon and other such media isn't necessary.

I plan on doing a small water change tonight and working the rocks a little to change things up and I may post up some newer pictures and more specific changes/setup details.

Archived