SaltCritters.com

Apitasia or Feather duster?

bamaboy333

I started a 2.5g AGA Pico with my brother, and we cant tell which it is. We are both new to saltwater, and the tank is only 2 days into the cycle. I tried getting a picture, but the little thing is to small. It is a translucent brownish, sucks in his hole when you scare it, .5 cm wide, same height, and radiates out like a flower, so more circular i would say. I know this is a TERRIBLE description, but the digital just cant get a clear shot of it. If any input is even possible, I would be really appreciative. The rock it is on is likely coming out friday anyway. We kinda over estimated the tank size, so one of the rock must come out, and will be placed in the JBJ 28g Nano Cube HQI which arrives on friday.

lakshwadeep

I'm thinking aiptasia if it's "crown/arms/tentacles" don't look like "feathers"

aiptasia (looks like a polyp, because it is a polyp)

aptasia.jpg

Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

feather duster (has a calcareous tube):

Feather-duster-22.jpg

A feather duster will have a small tube that it resides in and small feathery tentacles. They can be brown, pink, red etc. If its an aptasia then it will normally be in a hole in the rock and have brown tentacles that are thicker.

Greg

lakshwadeep

to post image: click "add reply" and there is an area for attachments. If the image is on photobucket or some online site, then you can just use the "fast reply" and click on the picture frame button (left of the smilies button).

It actually has the characteristics of both, hence the confusion. I have a perfect picture, if i could only figure out how to post it.

Center of the shot.

Was a lot better and bigger on my computer. I need to learn this, considering i will have 100s of questions for sure.

2nd attempt :) bare with me guys.

post-34398-1205079933_thumb.png

lakshwadeep

aiptasia will not have "barbs" coming from each main "vane" (I'm using bird feather terms). Instead, the aiptasia tentacles will be long and individualized.

to mods: This thread might get more replies if it was moved to the identification forum.

lakshwadeep
how do i move it?

I'm not sure (the moderators are the ones who move it) but it's okay to leave it here since this is a common question.

You may want to use photobucket, or another online hosting site. It is pretty simple. So simple even this old man (35+years) can do it. :)

Go to photobucket.com. Sign up for an account (free), select your photos, upload them. Once uploaded, it shows your pics in your album with three URL codes near each pic. Click on the (I think) bottom one which is "for webforums" or something like that. It copies the URL. THen reply or edit your post here and paste the URL in so that it makes a link. When you "add reply" it will convert it to a picture.

I think this gives better resulting pictures.

If unsure, get rid of it. I would use KALK paste. I bought a can of pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) for like $3or4, and make a "paste" out of it and smear it all over the sucker. I have to do this every time I bring some zoas home from the LFS because there is always one or two small apstasia mixed in with the zoas. I loose a few zoas along with the aptasia, but they will grow back and fill in the hole of devastation left from the kalk paste. I just did the kalk treatment yesterday with some neat blue/orange with yellow skirt zoas that I bought yesterday.

dsoz

Archived