Top Shelf Aquatics

** StevieT's How to Glue Coral Thread **

StevieT

Your the man!!!! I have been using a 3 pack of gel super glue from the dollar store. Today I got fed up with it and went to Lowe's to get the loctite stuff. It works great and has an awesome container. The glue dosen't always keep coming out! Have you tried that epoxy stuff they make? Is that safe/good? Can you get the "white and Grenn" epoxy there?

Is it a clear epoxy? I use their superglue gel for all my coral gluing, it works very well and don't have a reason to switch thing up. I don't exactly know if Lowes sells the aqaumend putty (white and "green") but they should. It is in by all the other glues. If they don't they will sell a similar product. It's all the same in performance, just under different brand names/ colors.

I found a HUGE tube at Grainger and it has lasted me forever, that is what is in the first pic. of the glue.

allenspidey
Is it a clear epoxy? I use their superglue gel for all my coral gluing, it works very well and don't have a reason to switch thing up. I don't exactly know if Lowes sells the aqaumend putty (white and "green") but they should. It is in by all the other glues. If they don't they will sell a similar product. It's all the same in performance, just under different brand names/ colors.

I found a HUGE tube at Grainger and it has lasted me forever, that is what is in the first pic. of the glue.

What about Billy Mays' super putty. You can fix a table leg with that stuff. Will it work?

2075152859_6a7edcf700.jpg?v=0

Edited by allenspidey

hahaha, I love that commircial. Yes, that would work, it is exactly the same. When I first saw that I was like no way... this stuff has been around for years. But my man Billy can sell anything.

Mighty putty is too good for my tank.

allenspidey
hahaha, I love that commircial. Yes, that would work, it is exactly the same. When I first saw that I was like no way... this stuff has been around for years. But my man Billy can sell anything.

Mighty putty is too good for my tank.

Bah. I tried to re-roof my house with it. Didn't work.

One thing Id like to add is 2 part epoxy gets really hot when it starts to cure so when gluing actual coral flesh to a rock or plug its better to use super glue gel and not aquamend epoxy. The only time to use the epoxy is if you want to adhere a rock to a rock or a plug to a rock etc. I wouldnt even use the epoxy to adhere a hard coral (sps) to a rock or plug as I had several frags die because the epoxy gets really hot when it cures.

I never knew that. No wonder my frags always recede a little before they start growing when I use putty to mount them.

That sucks too because putty is a much better way to frag stuff in that you can mount it pretty much any way you like :(

frankthetank

everything stuck good except this one little shroom frag I couldn't get to stick. I lost it yesterday for a good hour into the holes in the rock. I tried to blow it out with turkey baster, I gave up and just started moving the rock around. Finally I found it and it just wont stick so I put it in a nice groove in the rock and it's been there since last night. I hope I don't lose it again, lol. I hope it sticks by it's self soon.

Edited by frankthetank
frankthetank
Mushrooms can be tough, they like to migrate sometimes. In the past I've used rubber bands to temporarily hold them down until they attach to the rock.

The other mushrooms just glued on no prob, it was just this one florescent green one, lol. I added some Iodine and calcium, and am trying to feed them phytoplankton and zooplankton, so maybe it will speed up the process. Oh and thanks Steve great post btw! That loctite gel glue is awesome.

I never knew that. No wonder my frags always recede a little before they start growing when I use putty to mount them.

That sucks too because putty is a much better way to frag stuff in that you can mount it pretty much any way you like :(

I am planning on putting a temp probe into a ball of putty to see how hot it actually gets. I will post the results here, it is a concern that it can hurt a coral. Good thought, you could use putty as a frag plug if you were in a bind, but letting it cure first and then using the superglue gel is probably the correct route.

I have seen some puttys that make your skimmer go nuts for a few days, any recomendations?

How much putty is in use? I haven't seen a problem with the putty I have been using and the skimmer. I just put a new skimmer on my tank, I shall see in the future if it effects its skimmate.

Steve, how do you trim your frag plugs?

For most of them I have used a razor blade and popped the coral off of the plug. IF the coral is overgrown on the plug, I use a snipping tool used for cutting nails out of wood boards, called an end nipper. I cut as much of the plug off. You can also use a dremmel type tool and cut around the frag.

5LJ39.JPG

The other mushrooms just glued on no prob, it was just this one florescent green one, lol.

From what I have read, some mushrooms exude a chemical that dissolves the bond of superglue. Unfortunately, that means that another method should be used as well, such as spearing, rubberbanding, veiling, etc, to supplement the superglue. Someone with more experience may contradict me, but that is what I have read (and to an extent, seen).

correct on the mushrooms. They are really hard to glue. Most of my ricordea came attached to a piece of live rock rubble so it was easier to glue. On the others they took hold fairly easy in divots of the live rock. You can also use the shot glass method where you put the mushroom and a piece of live rock rubble or plug in the shot glass, put it in your sand where it is protected, and the shroom should take hold.

k, great tips, Ive been using the small loctight you have pictured, but what about something like a devils hand leather? how would i frag/mount it?

I would think cut off an arm and superglue it to a plug. But that is a question more about fragging and not about glue. I haven't fragged a leather yet, so I can't fully answer it.

Stevie's a dreamboat :wub:

* §¥ = I may or may not be referring to your post, I hold no liability for any advice, comments, direction, or implication I have created. This is for entertainment purposes only. You must be 13 years or older to receive my advice. This statement has not been evaluated by the DNR or any other government sponsored reefing body. This advice is not intended to cure, prevent, or treat any reefing disease. You may not repost without expressed written consent from StevieT LLC ©2008 StevieT Advice Postings

allenspidey
* §¥ = I may or may not be referring to your post, I hold no liability for any advice, comments, direction, or implication I have created. This is for entertainment purposes only. You must be 13 years or older to receive my advice. This statement has not been evaluated by the DNR or any other government sponsored reefing body. This advice is not intended to cure, prevent, or treat any reefing disease. You may not repost without expressed written consent from StevieT LLC ©2008 StevieT Advice Postings

:haha:

Since this is in the info section I thought I should express my true feelings.