Coral Vue Hydros

** StevieT's How to Glue Coral Thread **

StevieT

The only poblme I'm having with that glue is the tip is clogged. When I use it I have to unscrew it and glue without it. I'm I just missing something?

Are you using the very small tubes or the one where you push the blue plasic piece on the sides? The small ones clog easily no matter what you do.

Try keeping the tip clear before you recap it, it may help. I always wipe it clean after use. If it does clog usually just cutting a small part of the tip off get it going again.

For all of those that are concerned about the temperature issue with the putty I did a little experiment. I made up a ball of the putty and placed it on a thermometer probe. This was all taken from a time frame of 13 minutes, where the putty cured rock hard.

My conclusion, yes the putty increases in temperature, but in a water temp of 79* you have dispersion of temperatures where this increase actually won't hurt corals. The putty would have to increase in temps of greater than 120* to cause any problems. This was done in the air, but in water temperatures stabilize much quicker. A frag plug should still be contacted with glue then putty then glue again, but you shouldn't worry about a small amount of putty being in contact with your coral.

10:08am

1008.jpg

10:09am

1009.jpg

10:11am

1011.jpg

10:12am

1012.jpg

10:13am

1013.jpg

10:16am

1016.jpg

10:21am

1021.jpg

Nice experment! I take back some of my good complimentsabout the loctite glue. The glue itself works great but I have trouble with the container it is in. I used it normally for a few times, then the top got clogged. So I started to unscrew the tip and use it that way. That worked for a few times they I couldn't get the top off and get any glue out. I had to throw it away. My main question is, that if there is any different types of safe superglue in a different type of container that won't get clogged.

Super glue is prone to that problem, I have had the most luck with keeping the tip clean and covered as fast as possible, this way the glue doesn't get a chance to dry in the needle. I don't know of any better dispensing systems but there are other brands of superglue gel. You can try sticking a needle or pin in the tip, it works for cauk...

I have had the best luck with the large tube I get from Grainger and this one

LOC0130379_1_2.JPG

Super glue is prone to that problem, I have had the most luck with keeping the tip clean and covered as fast as possible, this way the glue doesn't get a chance to dry in the needle. I don't know of any better dispensing systems but there are other brands of superglue gel. You can try sticking a needle or pin in the tip, it works for cauk...

I have had the best luck with the large tube I get from Grainger and this one

LOC0130379_1_2.JPG

That's the one I used and got clogged very easy. What/who is Grainger and what doess the tube look like? Do they have it at home depot/Lowes?

grainger is business to business sales only, but they sell just about everything!!!!!! it is a simple tube, I have a picture of it on the first page, has a Grainger sticker right on it.

Edited by StevieT

As I remember there was a lot of different glues but the glue in the pic above was the only one that actually said "gel". If it has Cyanoacrylate and dosen't say gell is it still OK to use?

no, the liquid super glues won't work very well. They are super wattery and will run off the frag you are trying to attach. If you want something else, get very small tubes, try and keep the tips clean but if something happens, no biggie since they are cheap and disposable.

Again, I really don't have an issue with reusing these glues. I clean the tip immeditely after using and cover it right away, even before I put the frag in the tank.

Ok. It seemed to hold better and faster. i'm going to get some cheepies from the dollar store. I'll see how I do with them and how long they last. I'll clean them and put the cap on immediatly. If I get them to last longer I'll try the loctite again. THANKS!!!

Here is a question for StevieT and everyone who has been using Aquamend or some similar putty.

Does the putty ever change color due to algae and such? In other words, I have one of my frags glued down now, and you can see the white/gray putty ... will this eventually blend in with the rest of the rock?

I think it might change color. I don't have too much visable in my tank. It might grow coraline, but I'm really not sure. We'll have to see what others think.

Stevie T, I tried your method of super glue, epoxy, super glue, and it worked GREAT!!!!! I couldn't beleive it. I held it to the rock for like 20 secs and it held it self.I would reccomend this to everyone, unless my frogspawn fell down this morning!

Here is a question for StevieT and everyone who has been using Aquamend or some similar putty.

Does the putty ever change color due to algae and such? In other words, I have one of my frags glued down now, and you can see the white/gray putty ... will this eventually blend in with the rest of the rock?

It will change colors, it may get algae growth on it if you have any. Overall I do not see very much of the putty since I try and hide it as best as possible. Overtime corlline algae will grow over it and it will blend in. But best to hide it under the frag.

Stevie T, I tried your method of super glue, epoxy, super glue, and it worked GREAT!!!!! I couldn't beleive it. I held it to the rock for like 20 secs and it held it self.I would reccomend this to everyone, unless my frogspawn fell down this morning!

Great!!!! I actually just jammed my frogspawn into a few rocks, never glued it down. Hope it holds!!!

well.. huh... i never would have thought to use both superglue AND putty, especially not in this manner! Great thread!

Sweet, glad I could broaden your gluing technique. Good luck

yes, we have something similar. But it is really expensive compared to the white putty. I guess if you were conserned about the look this would be the way to go, but IME, you can hide the putty fairly well.

Some say that it makes their skimmer go crazy after using it.

I will have to test that out next time I do some attaching since I have a skimmer that actually works now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought 2 of these:

LOC0130379_1_2.JPG

It works great, but was about $4-5 bucks a bottle. After I emptied them both I cracked the bottle open to see it is just a regular .99 cent tube inside.

So I would buy this, but after your done keep the bottle and re-load it with .99 cent tubes afterward.

really!!! that is cool info thanks! I get an industrial size from Grainger, I like that dispenser but there isn't a lot in there for the price.