Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

Well first let me give every one a breif summary about this fish:

Common Name:Yasha Hashe Goby, Yashia Goby, Yasha Haze Goby

Scientific Name:Strongobiops Yasha (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Minimum Tank Size:5gal. must have a tight lid as they will jump (I've kept my pair for over a year in a 5gal. pico but would only recomend one in a 5gal.)

Diet: Carmivore, but foods with spirulia algae will greatly benifit

Temperment: Peaceful but will hold it's own against most fish

Tankmates: Any fish but Dotybacks, territorial Blennies, other burrowers, or fish that may consume them

Symbiotic Relationships: Will pair with most Pistol Shrimp

Now, left me see yours then I'll show you mine. But if you don't want to wait just look at my tank thread. :D

Edit: Keep in mind this is my personal experience and some may dissagree with me.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics Seed can't wait to see yours Brian and David. I agree with you Brian on your statement, they are really elegant looking with the opague patteren on the dorsal fin and how long and flowing the dorsal fin is.

only their spot right? not the whole tank lol

Yeah only their spot mine cleans about six inchens in all dierections from the burrow and thats it. But I have quite a bit of rocks so there isn't much exposed sand so he get's most of it.

Edit: Just saw the new pic of yours Seed and it shows all of their brilliant colors! :D

If any of you have shells lying around, crush them up and put them buy your gobies hole, I did that yesterday and the shrimp moved them around and made a door, today I got to see him close it for the night. it was really cool.

Then get one my pair only costed me $90 then the shrimp was $21. :D

Hey bro, did you buy them online, or at your LFS? You may have already said this... Oh well! ;)

civicstikated
Come on more people than seed and I have these guys. Trust me I know!

Will be getting mine in a few weeks when a local reefer does a fish run. Will post pics here when I do. Promise. B)

Hey bro, did you buy them online, or at your LFS? You may have already said this... Oh well! ;)

Lfs, I read some where that when the fish are equal size the one with a smaller fin is the female, I had one that was about 2in. long and a few weeks after I got him my lfs got a bunch more of them in they had one about the same size with a smaller fin and lucky me it turned out to be the opposite sex because the haven't killed eachother in the two years I've had them. :D Can't wait to see yours civic!

Forgot to add, anyone who's getting one and a pistol do not put any frags with in a 8" radius of the burrow or the pistol will move them or just plain burry them. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but mine used to do it until I moved everything into the rock work.

As a bit of trivia, these fishes were originally available as an undescribe species with the unofficial name Yashia Haze. Haze being a japanese word, I think for goby? Anyway, this is a bold shrimp goby, which I actually think benefits from not having a symbiotic shrimp. It restricts them, a lot more, to a single area of the tank.

The only more awesome Stonogobiops spp. is S. dracula. I <3 Yashas

As a bit of trivia, these fishes were originally available as an undescribe species with the unofficial name Yashia Haze. Haze being a japanese word, I think for goby? Anyway, this is a bold shrimp goby, which I actually think benefits from not having a symbiotic shrimp. It restricts them, a lot more, to a single area of the tank.

The only more awesome Stonogobiops spp. is S. dracula. I <3 Yashas

Thanks for the info nips and they are bold. One will attack my clowns then the other will take the mysis right out of their mouth! They also seem to have taught my lubbock's fairy wrasse to do the same. I don't know if I can agree with you on the shrimp statement as i love to watch them interact with the shrimp, he even cleans the gobies as a cleaner shrimp would!

no luck finding one today :( they all told me they were rare to find and when they are found people usually take them all :/

Yep they're exactly right, I got mine the day the lfs got them and went back 3 days later to get water for a water change and all five were gone.

They are bold? Does it take a while for them to loosen up after being brought home? I have had mine for about 10 days and I haven't seen more than the tip of his mouth since I dropped him in. He never ventures out the tunnels the pistol made for them.

Archived