Cultivated Reef

Amerijuanican 34g SOLANA

Amerijuanican

Amerijuanican

Hey guys, I've had my 34g Solana up and running for almost a month now... here are the specs:

-34g Current USA Solana

-150W MH HQI "Disco Ball" Pendant

-1/15th HP JBJ Mini Arctica Chiller

-Tunze Osmolator ATO

-added a Koralia 1 for extra flow and I want to add a couple of Koralia Nanos also...

Corals:

-Frogspawn

-Torch

-Anchor

-Tongue

-Open Brain

-Ricordea yuma and Ricordea florida

-various zoos

-Palythoa

-various shrooms

-"Pom Pom" Xenia

-Green Star Polyps

-True Superman Monti Cap

-True Sunset Monti Cap

-True Rainbow Monti Cap

-Orange Montipora

-Green Stylophora

-Pink Lemonade Acropora

-True Blue Aquacultured Acropora

Fish:

-True Perc.

-Coral Beauty Centropyge Angel

-Neon Goby

-BiColor Blenny

-Six Line Wrasse

-Purple Firefish

-Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel

Other Inverts:

-Blood Shrimp

-Rose Bubble-tip Anemone

-Peppermint Shrimp

Parameters:

Nitrates: 10ppm

Salinity: 1.025sg

pH: 8.3

Heres some pics:

FTS #1:

DSCN0508.jpg

FTS #2:

DSCN0509.jpg

Ricordea yuma:

DSCN0295.jpg

Ricordea yuma:

DSCN0064.jpg

4" Neon Pink Ricordea yuma Showpiece:

DSCN0276.jpg

Yellow Ricordea yuma w/a yellow sponge:

DSCN0272.jpg

Multi-colored Frogspawn:

DSCN0261-1.jpg

Blood Shrimp:

DSCN0266.jpg

Open Brain:

DSCN0230.jpg

Tongue Coral:

DSCN0180.jpg

Various Ricordea:

DSCN0186.jpg

Picture of some of my fish before the Jawfish committed suicide:

DSCN0257-1.jpg

An old top-down:

DSCN0045.jpg

Various Ricordea:

DSCN0517.jpg

New Ricordea florida:

DSCN0516.jpg

Palythoa:

DSCN0280.jpg

Thanks for checking out my tank and my pictures... enjoy guys!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW. You have a photographer's eye (or at least everything is so good that you don't even have to look at where you point your camera). Very nice colors! Oh, and :welcome: to NR.com

Amerijuanican

ya... it was an upgrade from my BC14 and my NC6... this is chrisdamage btw... I got banned and my tank thread was deleted. So here it is anew.

Amerijuanican

I wanted to post a few things that I've learned the hard way over a year and a half of keeping nano-reefs:

1. DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT! use anything besides RO/DI water! I was using Publix Distilled water for my top-off and while some batches of it came up negative for phosphates and nitrates... others did not... I traced my months long battle with hair algae back to this. Just either buy RO/DI from you LFS or buy an RO/DI unit and do it yourself... its not worth it to use anything else.

2. No matter how tight you think your lid is... always make sure that you have NO HOLES in it if you are keeping a jawfish. I came back from vacation about 2 weeks ago and found my yellow-headed jawfish dried up on the floor. I felt horrible because even though I thought that I was doing what was best for him by keeping a lid on the tank because the lid I had wasn't good enough. Your lid must have NO HOLES in it!

3. Always cover up your electrical outlets when working in or around your tank! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!! I ruined about $300 worth of equipment about a month ago because of not taking a few extra seconds to cover up the power cables.

I'm sure I'll think of some more...

I bought it from a local reefer for $100 and it was this size when he got it and it hasn't gotten any bigger... I've never honestly noticed any growth in any of my yumas or floridas.

Amerijuanican

here are a couple better pictures of the rockwork as requested... they were taken the day I set the tank up.

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

and also... I forgot to mention that I have a TON of zoos on frag magnets on the back wall... I'll try and post a top-down picture tonight.

Amerijuanican

New Ricordea I bought:

Orange w/Green Mouths... splitting:

DSCN0521.jpg

Orange close-up:

DSCN0523.jpg

Baby Blue w/Pink tips yuma:

DSCN0524.jpg

2 haven't colored up yet:

DSCN0525.jpg

Thanks guys!

Amerijuanican

Most all were acquired locally here in the FLA... my colony of Orange Ricordea florida and my small colony of True Blue Ricordea florida are from phisybusiness.com

The huge Pink yuma was from a guy at a LFS who was tearing his tank down... I bought it for $100

All the others were bought pretty much individually for anywhere from $20 to $100 per polyp depending on the morph... its funny because some of the coolest morphs are the ones I spent the least on.

here are a couple better pictures of the rockwork as requested... they were taken the day I set the tank up.

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

and also... I forgot to mention that I have a TON of zoos on frag magnets on the back wall... I'll try and post a top-down picture tonight.

I like your aquascape. How much LR is that? What kind?

Amerijuanican

Its 2 huge chunks of some sort... its definitely not Marshall Island or Fiji... I'm actually not too sure... I bought it because it was nice and porous and it had a TON of little caves and crevices for my fish to swim through and to place corals... I've never seen another tank this small with a huge rift right up the middle... I'm digging it for sure.

I've never seen another tank this small with a huge rift right up the middle... I'm digging it for sure.

Dam you, I used to hold that title, now you have me beat by three gallons! :P

IMG_9443.JPG

I live sorta in the NE florida vacinity, Daytona Beach area, Port Orange to be exact...Are you up by Jax?

Archived