SaltCritters.com

Junkitu's Monti House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much did this system cost you to buy? How hard would it be to get one to the east coast? I am excited to see the growth, taggin along.

Your First Thread was part of the reason that i started my NanoCube. Took me about three days to read the other one because i was afraid I'd miss some information that i might need later.

Taggin along to see how this one goes. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Good Luck, and Thanks for sharing.

Mercuryne

DSC_1157.jpg

drool.gif

You are going to have a hard time outdoing your last tank. Almost singlehandedly, you inspired me to start a reef tank. I will be watching this with great interest.

Thanks everyone! It's great to see so many familiar folks following along on this thread.

How much did this system cost you to buy? How hard would it be to get one to the east coast? I am excited to see the growth, taggin along.

:bling:. Drop Jesse a line at Elos USA. They have a bunch of different sizes and setups and he can give you a quote for shipping to the East Coast.

:wub:

*drool over the sump*

barebottom?

Nope. I'm not a big fan of the BB tanks. Planning to have 60-80lbs of live sand but we'll see how that works with the VorTech.

Your First Thread was part of the reason that i started my NanoCube. Took me about three days to read the other one because i was afraid I'd miss some information that i might need later.

Taggin along to see how this one goes. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Good Luck, and Thanks for sharing.

Mercuryne

drool.gif

You are going to have a hard time outdoing your last tank. Almost singlehandedly, you inspired me to start a reef tank. I will be watching this with great interest.

:blush: I'm flattered. As many of you know, I found my inspiration in several of the tanks on this forum and I'm honored to have given other members the spark to start tanks of thier own. Thanks for tagging along.

I'm tagging too, you certainly did inspire me as well. Beautiful AP. I am beginning a journey too. I currently have a 12G AP and just purchased a 24g NC. Can't wait to see what awesome creation you come up with for this tank!

You must have picked yours up a couple of days before I got mine. I'll just have to live through your tank for awhile since mine is going to take a bit longer to set up.

Are you going to hang the light or use the arms?

The tank is 30" long so I'll have to suspend the lights. I didn't want to drop the lights from the ceiling so I purchased a stand from zerodege. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attach the fixture directly to the stand as shown in the pictures below. The Outer Orbit is pretty wide and has 4 attachment points so I'll have to hang it from the stand's arm but at least I won't have to mess with my walls or ceiling.

Lamptreeexamples_000.jpg

You must have picked yours up a couple of days before I got mine. I'll just have to live through your tank for awhile since mine is going to take a bit longer to set up.

Jesse mentioned that you were going to be picking up your tank too. What are your plans? You bought just the tank, right?

where can you get those lamp trees? that may be just the ticket for my light mounting issue. lovin the sump setup - very nice

+1

I didnt want to hang via ceiling either so I am going a shelf route.

I designed this, (badly)

thisismadnessssplan8-22.jpg

on tuesday it gets installed with a 36" outer orbit hanging to a Stainless steel shelf/S.Steel brackets.

then on the next tank gets placed where the nano is.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in updates.

So far so good with the Elos system. I purchased 70+ lbs of LR from a local reefer (KuanTi) and 60 lbs of live sand from my LFS (Ultimate Aquarium). The Elos sump comes with a couple small compartments. I dumped a bunch of LR rubble into one of them. With the other I created a mini refugium with some chaeto and a clip on light. Finally, I filled the tank with treated ocean water (C-pure) as well as a few jugs of water from my Aquapod. Using this approach I got the tank up and running without much hint of a cycle.

The tank's been running for about a month now . Params look good so far and the skimmer is creating a good amount of stinky green skimmate.

S.G. = 1.025

Amonia = 0

Nitrites = 0

Nitrates = 0

Ca = 480

pH = 8.3 to 8.5

Originally, I had planned to create a tiered aquascape to maximize room for coral placement. I found some really cool-shaped pieces of rock so I changed my plans and decided to create a horshoe shapped reef with arches instead. I left some headroom on the top for the SPS to grow out. I really like the way it came out and I hope the fish will appreciate the swimming room.

As for coral, I've transferred all of my SPS colonies and a couple choice softie frags from the AP into the new tank. I've also added several types of SPS and LPS to fill out the aquascape. Both tanks should have plenty of room to grow now. Special thanks to my buddy Dan for all of the great advice and freebies :).

Here are the pics:

IN THE BEGINNING:

DSC_1164.jpg

MONTI HOUSE TODAY:

IMG_4404.jpg

I ended up anchoring the zeroedge light stand to the wall for extra saftey and support, but I'm still pretty pleased with how sleek and clean it looks.

Here is the transformation of the aqascape.

BEFORE: Bare aquascape and tank.

IMG_4340.jpg

AFTER: Vinyl black background and livestock.

MontiHouseMarchFTS-1month.jpg

As you see, I have a mixture of SPS, LPS, and softies in this tank. I currently have 7 varieties of monti's (see below for type and placement):

A - Tyree Sunset

B - Pink polyp cap

C - Barney purple digi

D - Orange digi

E - Reverse pokerstar

F - Tyree Baby blue polyp cap

G - Original superman

I have a tricolor forestfire digi growing out in a friend's tank and should be adding that to my collection shortly.

Montiplacement.jpg

That's it for now. Let me know what you think.

Archived