Top Shelf Aquatics

Neanderthalman's 40 Breeder

neanderthalman

neanderthalman

Thanks dude. I'm still having microbubble problems. After the latest modification, the water became kindof cloudy - I think it's superfine microbubbles.....and I have no idea where they are coming from. With christmas, I haven't had much time to figure out what the problem is.

I've turned the closed loop pump off, and we'll see if it clears up in a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good NM. I am still fighting microbubbles months and months later. My skimmer is the loudest thing in my tank although the water entering the sump from the durso is a close second. Good luck and the scape is perfect, don't change it.

kenthenanoguy

Lookin good! Nice scaping as usual.

I take it you fixed the microbubble problem?

I really need to start a thread on my new tank so these folks can see some of your other work (NM helped me build my tank...If you didn't catch what I meant).

Let me know when/if you're going livestock shopping; I'll go with and maybe we can go halves on some frags.

You're the man cool guy B)

• 2 weeks later...
neanderthalman

The stand is custom built, thanks for the comments Spanky!

Oh, I should probably give an update. Bryopsis. I has it. I think. Never had it before, and I cooked the bloody rock for, oh, over three months. Oh well.

RO/DI filter, and a three part Ca, Alk, Mag supplement on it's way from Bulk Reef Supply. The mag oughta clear up the bryopsis, and I'd like to get the chemistry settled out before stocking anyhow. I strongly recommend that any fellow canuckistanians check these guys out - they include brokerage as a part of the checkout, not as a nasty surprise on delivery. Relatively cheap brokerage, I might add - taxes and brokerage are only 15%. Good prices too.

Other than the bryopsis, the cycle appears to be progressing normally.

Oh, and I have revised the AWC design yet again, and now have a working prototype. Been meaning to post a DIY thread about it. I'll cough up a link once I get around to it. Maybe even tonight...

neanderthalman

Alrighty, I got my RO/DI, and all I've gotta say is "WOW!".

It's awesome. Very solid unit. Got down to 0TDS very quickly.

However....I realized that I don't...actually have a magnesium test kit. Gotta pick one up so I can start dosing the 3-part.

Also, I put together a thread for the AWC. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...view=getnewpost

• 3 weeks later...

I love this thread. I hope you do not mind me taken some of your plans for my stand? Let me know Neanderthal. I am wondering hows it going? the last post was last month. Hope to see some new picks and more info. Happy reefing. B)

neanderthalman

Thanks for the comments guys. I've slowed this one down again lately, we had some emergency vet bills that have massacred my wallet. Feel free to duplicate whatever you like about the stand mferrufino.

I definitely have bryopsis, it's nicely matured and has clearly visible fan structure. I have the ca/alk/mag supplements to bring the levels up and kill it off......but no money to buy replacement test kits. Also, the temperature has always been too high, as our apartment is really warm in the winter - about 78 degrees ambient. The closed loop pump is then raising the temp to about 84-85. I'm going to be investing in a small chiller, though once the A/C kicks in around april/may, temperature won't be an issue anymore. I'll definitely need it before next winter. The HVAC in this place is really unbalanced, so we get the bulk of the heating/cooling.

The Automatic Water Changer is working phenomenally well, and has kept me on track for the weekly water changes....which has admittedly been neglected in the past. It's just so easy now that I can't not do it. I also picked up some $1 plastic putty knives, which do a fantastic job of scraping the glass and bottom.

Sorry about the minimal progress, but I didn't work this hard, for this long, to rush things at the last minute. At least it'll be more stable when I start putting critters in it.

• 2 weeks later...
we had some emergency vet bills that have massacred my wallet.

Jeebus... that stuff never seems to end with you.

The Automatic Water Changer is working phenomenally well, and has kept me on track for the weekly water changes....which has admittedly been neglected in the past. It's just so easy now that I can't not do it.

Eff yeah! That's what I need... thats why my tanks always fail.. I dont keep up with topups and water changes (more so the topups)

On another note, the stores here have smaller 3g water jugs with handles. Would make topups on a smaller tank much more convenient! :)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
neanderthalman

Well, I've been thinking of another update. I mean, once a year whether it needs it or not, right?

Tanks doing fine. There were some issues to handle.

The first was a move, and then it was running too hot in the new house. So, I added a fan for evaporative cooling, and to counter the extra evaporation, I have plumbed the RO unit directly into ATO reservoir. No more topups :D

Speaking of which, the electrical panel is completed, and the AWC is integrated into the stand. Works like a charm. I also picked up a 55 gallon barrel, and I have set it up in the basement for mixing and storing SW for water changes. Makes everything nice and simple.

After getting the temperature under control last summer, I began combating a rather thick GHA outbreak. I think it was leftover nutrients from the heater incident. Algae's no big deal - I waited it out. Scrubbed the rocks every few days, and removed the resulting mess with filter floss. Took a few months, but it effectively scrubbed the last of the nutrients that I believe were trapped in the rocks. The algae stopped growing, then suddenly vanished overnight. Gone. That's how it's done. I haven't seen any significant algae growth since then, and it was back in....September/October.

At the same time, the magnesium and the GHA killed off the bryopsis. Can't say which was more effective, but I like it anyhow.

Wife got me a pair of purple firefish for christmas, and sometime before that I picked up a couple of turbo snails and an emerald crab. The crab did a great job of eliminating some macro that was trying to take advantage of the GHA's hasty retreat.

So that's it for the moment. Still no skimmer, looking at an AquaC as a likely candidate. Also should replace the bulbs, and I'd like to do that before I start stocking corals.

I'll post new pics....soon. They don't look much different. :rolleyes:

I like the golden daisey lookin things...Im guessin its the ugly brown zoas LOL! Whatever is in the pic behind the clownfish...I like it if it is the color in the pic.

If that is a bare-bottom tank, it is the 1st one I have seen that I like!!! (Even if it is all brown and yella) The coraline helps balance it out though I think. I like it ^_^ :)

Archived