Coral Vue Hydros

AcroporaLokani's Frag Tank

AcroporaLokani

AcroporaLokani
Excellent! Can't wait to see how they work!

Nether can I. Ill be taking before and after pictures of all my corals under MH and under natural sunlight. All my corals should color up nicely.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope the solar tube works well. I was pretty amazed by that thread. I'd recommend t5 lighting instead of pc for actinic. t5 is going to give you all around better results.

AcroporaLokani
Just wanted to pop in and say how great this looks!

Keep up the awesome work AcroporaLokani!

Thank you :)

I hope the solar tube works well. I was pretty amazed by that thread. I'd recommend t5 lighting instead of pc for actinic. t5 is going to give you all around better results.

Ok well the new tank is up. I decided on a 12 gallon aquapod (one of the ones seen earlier in this thread, I had it fixed so it would not leak). The 29 gal frag tank is already taken down.

The solar tube is working better than I had expected, even at 6:00 AM it is as bright as my halide (and the two days the tank has been up it has been cloudy and rainy). I had to add two protein skimmers to the tank because of the increased elevation of my new home (I am near five thousand feet above sea level). I knew there was not enough air in the water when my blue damsel suffocated...... I ended up turning it in to a display rather than a frag tank.

I will be starting a new thread once I get settled in my new home and I will post a link to the new thread here.

So thanks for all of you who have had interest in my frag tank thread but unfortunately......

The End

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani
aww, sorry to hear about the no frag tank. and the damsel... good luck in the mountains.

Thanks, Hopefully I will be able to set p another frag tank in the future.

Here is a link to my new tank, I'm thinking about switching the new tank from a aquapod to an ADA rimless tank or possible a regular 18 gal tank from petsmart.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173442

The solartube didn't work, it just was not enough light and I ended up taking it back to home depot. I think I'll end up getting a 250 watt MH for it or if I decide to switch the tank I'll get it for that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Those mini frag plugs that take up only one square of egg crate ... did you make those? or buy them?

I'm looking for some, so if you bought em ... where did you get em?!

Thanks!

AcroporaLokani
Hey!

Those mini frag plugs that take up only one square of egg crate ... did you make those? or buy them?

I'm looking for some, so if you bought em ... where did you get em?!

Thanks!

I actually made them myself, I simply got an 80 LB bag of S type cement from lowes (Make sure to get S type cement because it is made with sand not gravel, The gravel does not allow the cement to go in to the egg crate mold because some of the gravel pieces are larger than the egg crate square). Once the cement is mixed just put it on a sheet of egg crate and let it settle in all the little squares, I put a big trash bag under the egg crate so the cement would not get on the floor of my basement and I just spread the cement out in to the egg crate and let it dry, After it was dried I sprayed it will fresh water so it would be able to cure (Cement that dries to quickly is weak and will break when you try to push the plug out of the egg crate so spraying the dried cement with fresh water is very important).

After the frag plugs are out of the egg crate you soak the plugs in distilled white vinegar for two days to cure the cement and make it safe for use in your fish tank. After the two days in the vinegar you rinse the plugs out until you cannot smell the vinegar and then you let the plugs soak in the fresh water for another two days. So it is about a six day project that takes probably four or five hours to complete but you can make thousands of frag plugs for under a dollars worth of cement.

Hope that helped.

Archived