ReefCleaners.org

AcroporaLokani's Frag Tank

AcroporaLokani

AcroporaLokani
I love your setups!! It looks like you're well on your way.

Thanks, I cut a few more frags yesterday so ill have to post pics.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool idea! I was actually thinking of setting up a seperate small frag tank as well. I just got a tyree birdsnest for my 12G with the 70W sunpod and im wondering if I placed if halfway up in the tank if that would be enough light for it. Seems like you would know. Thanks

Ive got my Tubs birdsnest halfway up in my BC14 under same fixture 14k. growing like crazy, will take medium light, medium/low flow.

I just got my first 2 acroporas I guess you could say. There Millepora and a pocillopora actually. I was having a hard time with placement. I have them as high as I can and I also herd that they need a ton of flow. Is that true? I have a ap24 and I have 1 powerhead in it but it just looks so bad. Theres not enough room! I would have to place it high over the rock to hit the acros. I like to place it behinf the rocks so it can just blow through. What do you think? Sorry for the hijack...

Thanks for posting in my thread. Do you have a thread for your 55G that houses the urchin?

The SPS look lovely. Too bad I can't house those just yet.

cheers

what are you lighting your tank with?

High random/indirect flow is best for the acros

It's a 70 watt halide. I'm more using those 2 small frags for a test. I don't know if it will be enough. :huh:

AcroporaLokani
Thats a lot of new frags. Very nice. Can't wait to see the new ones.

Thank you, The new ones i glued to a small piece of rock hoping that they will grow and become a small community rock.

time to make some $$$

Hopefully, I still need to get shipping supplies before i can sell anything....

You'll sell your frags better and make more money if you take better pictures.

Yea i know my camera sucks i took a few more pictures hopefully they came out better that the last ones.

Cool idea! I was actually thinking of setting up a seperate small frag tank as well. I just got a tyree birdsnest for my 12G with the 70W sunpod and im wondering if I placed if halfway up in the tank if that would be enough light for it. Seems like you would know. Thanks

I have never had birdsnest but i would think that it would be enough light, i had these frags lower in the tank (about half way) and they did grow slower but then again i am trying to get all my corals to grow as fast as I can if you are putting the birdsnest in a display tank and not a frag tank i would say it would be fine but in a frag tank you want to maximize growth so closer to the light=faster growth. ANd remember to keep the calcium up.

Ive got my Tubs birdsnest halfway up in my BC14 under same fixture 14k. growing like crazy, will take medium light, medium/low flow.

What type of metal halide is it 70 150?

I just got my first 2 acroporas I guess you could say. There Millepora and a pocillopora actually. I was having a hard time with placement. I have them as high as I can and I also herd that they need a ton of flow. Is that true? I have a ap24 and I have 1 powerhead in it but it just looks so bad. Theres not enough room! I would have to place it high over the rock to hit the acros. I like to place it behinf the rocks so it can just blow through. What do you think? Sorry for the hijack...

What is the gallons per hour rate of your power head and how old is it? I ask the age because the flow will gradually decrease over time, If i remember right the AP24 has a 295 gallon an hour pump in the back chamber I would assume that the power head in the main tank is the average 250 or 300 gallon an hour pump the power head in the main tank plus the one in the back chambers would be about 22 times turnover rate, Most people like at least 20 or 25 times turnover rate at the least for SPS so i would say you will be fine if the power head is just pointed at the glass or it would be good if the flow is going across the tank. I like koralia water pumps if you want to add some more flow, they are a bit more money than most power heads but they have low power costs and they put out good evenly distributed current.

what are you lighting your tank with?

High random/indirect flow is best for the acros

+1 on the flow.

Thanks for posting in my thread. Do you have a thread for your 55G that houses the urchin?

The SPS look lovely. Too bad I can't house those just yet.

cheers

Oh no problem and no i don't have a thread for the 55 gal, there isn't much coral in it any way only a few polyps and LPS, More of a fish only tank than anything else.

It's a 70 watt halide. I'm more using those 2 small frags for a test. I don't know if it will be enough. :huh:

70 watt halides are on these two tank and i am very happy with the growth rates so far.

AcroporaLokani

The rio 50 is only 69 GPH. I'm still using the stock pump too. I was thinking of getting a Koralia. Should I get the nano or 1? The nano has 240 GPH and the 1 has a rate of 400GPH.

AcroporaLokani
The rio 50 is only 69 GPH. I'm still using the stock pump too. I was thinking of getting a Koralia. Should I get the nano or 1? The nano has 240 GPH and the 1 has a rate of 400GPH.

I would get the koralia 1if it were you, I dont think that the nano will have very good flow in a 24 gallon tank.

lilredneckman
I would get the koralia 1if it were you, I dont think that the nano will have very good flow in a 24 gallon tank.

Yes my friend just got the korilia for a 24g and its perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani
any non-SPS?

Yes the tank on the left is for soft corals and LPS corals, I havent been able to get any good pics of that tank for some reason. Ill take a few of the LPS and soft coral tank and post them in the next day or two.

so just regular cement for the plugs? no feet? it doesnt affect your ph or anything?

I cure them in distilled white vinegar for 48 hours then in fresh water for the same amount of time to make sure no vinegar is left on the plugs and that seems too do the trick. I also add a PH supplement that keeps it at 8.3 or 8.4. Im not to sure what the difference would be if I added sand to the mix, either way im still putting cured cement in to the water.

I have hit a small snag with the SPS tank, The heater doesn't seem to be working properly. Instead of the tank being 78F like it should be it is staying at 76F no matter how much i turn up the heater. I may have to buy a new one or see if I can dig up one the the five or ten used heaters I have.....

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani

Hey,

here are the update pics.

Lps and soft coral tank.

img5960kp5.jpg

img5963vw7.jpg

img5964ic6.jpg

img5965wt2.jpg

Heres a cool SPS and Polyp rock I made.

img5958nc1.jpg

img5947em2.jpg

Full tank shot of the SPS.

img5969fj6.jpg

img6001rm0.jpg

The tanks are doing great with lots of new growth.

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani

Update. All the corals frags have encrusted. I have also made a few smaller coral rocks and they look AWESOME. I am also thinking of buying two 20K light bulbs for the halides. Any one know of a good brand?

Archived