Coral Vue Hydros

New Live Rock - HitchHikers

twenty12

So I got my live rock and installed it in the tank. I noticed this item on the rock right out of the box. Is it dead, alive? What is it?

This picture is green (bad camera) but its actually more white with a tint of yellow/green.

2172990297_aaa858cf3b_o.jpg

Wow, some really cool things are coming in on LR lately! mangOez, in my limited experience, that doesn't look a lot like Porites to me. I hope someone else can ID it for you. Meanwhile, congrats!

--Diane

SlukBunWalla

mang0ez, I have something very similar to that as a hitchhiker on my rock in the new nano...I have been researching mine and I *think* it's pseudocorynactus...a "disk anemone"...I'm not 100% on that but looks pretty similar...

twenty12,

If you've seen no polyps or sign of life whatsoever, it could just be an old skeleton...Many a reefer has been fooled by these! But do keep an eye on it.

SlukBunWalla,

What mangOez has is not Pseudocorynactis. For one thing, it does not take that growth form. Congrats on researching your critter...ever feel like posting pics? Pseudocorynactis are also called strawberry anemones, fish-eating anemones, orange-bulb anemones...There have been several ID threads in this forum about them, with lots of pics. (Maybe that's where you did your research!)

--Diane

Archived