Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

January 2008 - Junkitu

Christopher Marks

Do you have any pic of your tank before the corla was added? Like just the rock setup? Also how do you run your lights? Which lunar lights do you run and when and for how long?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have any pic of your tank before the corla was added? Like just the rock setup? Also how do you run your lights? Which lunar lights do you run and when and for how long?

This is the ealiest pic that I have. I got my rock from a friend and it was covered in these green mushrooms:

2monthsthumb.jpg

I swapped out the stock bulb for the Geisemann Megachrome Blue 20K bulb. Here's the info on my photo period from my write-up:

Photo Period

150W 20K MH (8am - 5pm)

White Moonlights (8am - 6pm)

Blue Moonlights (always on)

your tank's awesome man and very inspiring. i've been up and down with my 6 gallon nano for the last year or so and have finally got something going. i noticed the different feeds for your fish/coral and was wondering the cycle (like with your additives)....you mentioned how many days but not in what order...and also....with the additives...any suggestion on using them...i'm using kent marine tech CB A&B and have had problems in the past with it harming my coral...any tips would be great...i'd appreciate it...

your tank's awesome man and very inspiring. i've been up and down with my 6 gallon nano for the last year or so and have finally got something going. i noticed the different feeds for your fish/coral and was wondering the cycle (like with your additives)....you mentioned how many days but not in what order...and also....with the additives...any suggestion on using them...i'm using kent marine tech CB A&B and have had problems in the past with it harming my coral...any tips would be great...i'd appreciate it...

Thanks npkelly.

Spectrum and Formula 1 marine pellets (3 days/week) - MWF

Kent Marine Zoe (3 days/week) - MWF

Cyclopeeze (2 days/week) - MF

DT's Phytoplankton (2 day/week) - MF

As for the additives, I'm using the recommended dosages on the bottle.

Thanks npkelly.

Spectrum and Formula 1 marine pellets (3 days/week) - MWF

Kent Marine Zoe (3 days/week) - MWF

Cyclopeeze (2 days/week) - MF

DT's Phytoplankton (2 day/week) - MF

As for the additives, I'm using the recommended dosages on the bottle.

thanks for your info. i don't mean to be annoying, but when and how many times on those days. i've just heard that you can raise your nitrate levels (etc.) by adding too much food to your tank. i just wanna do things the right way this time and any info along the way is greatly appreciated. thanks again. :)

p.s. and if you don't mind, i might have other questions for you later..

thanks for your info. i don't mean to be annoying, but when and how many times on those days. i've just heard that you can raise your nitrate levels (etc.) by adding too much food to your tank. i just wanna do things the right way this time and any info along the way is greatly appreciated. thanks again. :)

p.s. and if you don't mind, i might have other questions for you later..

I feed only once on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I usually feed right before or right after my lights go out at 5pm.

i've been up and down with my 6 gallon nano for the last year or so and have finally got something going.

It sounds like you have begun to figure out what your tank needs. My recommendation would be to stick with what you've found works for your tank and livestock.

I feed only once on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I usually feed right before or right after my lights go out at 5pm.

It sounds like you have begun to figure out what your tank needs. My recommendation would be to stick with what you've found works for your tank and livestock.

cool. thanks again for your help.........and good luck on sunday. i'm more of a 9ers fan, but can't stand the patriots.lol.

I was wondering what kind of pumps/powerheads you use. I saw on you tank post that you use 3. Are you still using the stock pump? I was looking to add a powerhead what do you reccomend? What kind is under the built-in spout? I like the look of that.

cool. thanks again for your help.........and good luck on sunday. i'm more of a 9ers fan, but can't stand the patriots.lol.

:)

I was wondering what kind of pumps/powerheads you use. I saw on you tank post that you use 3. Are you still using the stock pump? I was looking to add a powerhead what do you reccomend? What kind is under the built-in spout? I like the look of that.

I like the maxijet powerheads. The powerhead under the return is a MaxiJet 900 with a hydor attachment. In fact, I just added another MJ900 w/ hydor to the opposite side to add more random circulation to the tank, The only downsides to the MJs are that they're kinda big and can lose flow strength over time if you don't clean them periodically due to thier intake tubes gettitng clogged with stuff (corraline algae, etc.). A lot of people like the Koralias and Tunze nanostreams but I like the random wave motion that the hydors give you.

I no longer use the stock pump because it definitely heated the tank up. I also don't need it because I have my chiller pump hooked up direcly to the stock return.

Lastly, here is a PM that I received from another reefer with my response. I post it here just in case others can benefit from it or have an opinion.

JUNKITU

I'm a new reefer. Just bought a 28 Gallon JBJ NANO Cube HQI last weekend with B150-14k MH lamp, and 4 blue led night lights. The pumps are: 2 (2) Accela SP1-1000 in separate chambers in the back rated for 266gph. There are two directional nozzles in the display. The system also came with a skimmer which i wont even think of using for a long while, and a Ocean Pulse Wavemaker.

Started out as a tank for my sons room and over the course of one week has consumed me . Literally a week in, and ive been voraciously reading all the information i could get my eyes on.

This is my first attempt at with SW and your amazing thread has given me great hope.

I feel as though i bought a good system (with the lighting being the crown jewel.)

I have added about 18 pounds of cured FIJI live rock, and about an inch of live sand as my substrage.

I have turned on the pumps and the heater, and have the filter box in place but removed a portion of the filter media. I've removed the Carbon and Ceramic Bags for now. (cut the black filter down a bit to allow proper flow)

I'll add a little more live rock over time to get the base perfect. (can i add rock as i go? or does it all need to be in the tank now? during the first cycle?) How much is TOO Much?

I want to be patient and take my time as you and so many others on N-R.com have explained.

I'm planning on letting the tank cycle and then start with a small fish or two and a CUC.

I'd then like to add a variety of coral, much like your setup. Love the zoo gardens, clams, Rics etc.

Throughout your thread, ive been amazed at your ability to respond to every question and you've been so helpful to all that have taken the time to ask. Sure is nice to see somewhat who's been fortunate and has a great looking tank still willing to pay it forward.

Just looking for any basic starting tips you might pass on. I know this is long, but i thought if you knew what equipment i was dealing with it might help you narrow down to a few good solid tips.

Thanking you in advance,

and please know that your tank is really somethign to see.

Regards,

I'm glad you like my tank and I'm flattered by your comments.

It sounds like you're off to a great start with your equipment. Here are a couple things to consider:

1) Start a thread - It's a great way tot track your progress as well as challenges. It will also allow you to get real time feedback. Probably more than you'lll want :) This forum is a great and I've learned so much from reading the posts of others.

2) Live Rock - The general rule of thumb is 1lb of rock for every 1gallon of water in your display. It sounds like you can add some more. Get fully cured rock if you can. If you can, try and get rock from soneone else's establish tank. That's how I started my tank and I believe it's the safest route.

3) Stocking - Once your params have stablilized, I'd add the clean up crew and see how they do. If the params remain stable then you add livestock after a week or so. I think it's best to add the least aggressive fish first and let them get used to the tank for a week or so, Then slowly add more and more aggressive tank members

Enjoy the new tank. I'll be on the lookout for your tank thread,.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Your tank is breathless!!!! Keep it up!! Just wanted to find out some info on your chiller and that long pipe that is going up from the chiller to your tank. If you can be so kind and help me get a good chiller for my 24 gallon nanocube I will be very grateful to you. If it is easier to Pm please do so..

Thanks

Hi there,

Your tank is breathless!!!! Keep it up!! Just wanted to find out some info on your chiller and that long pipe that is going up from the chiller to your tank. If you can be so kind and help me get a good chiller for my 24 gallon nanocube I will be very grateful to you. If it is easier to Pm please do so..

Thanks

PM answered.

I have the 1/!15 hp Current USA Prime chiller and it can be a little noisy when it turns on. I hear the JBJ nano chillers are really quiet.

I was looking at your lighting sequence and was gonna set mine up like that when I get a new timer. I have a ap24 but it's a 70 watt halide. Do I need to have it on longer because it's not as strong as your 150?

I was looking at your lighting sequence and was gonna set mine up like that when I get a new timer. I have a ap24 but it's a 70 watt halide. Do I need to have it on longer because it's not as strong as your 150?

Unfortunately, there's no exact formula for how much light to give your tank. It kinda depends on what you're keeping and where things are placed in your aquascape. I'd suggest experimenting with your light cycle and monitoring your livestock to see how they react.

Ok. I got a power center timer by coralife. I can't keep my whites on an hour after my halide goes off. I don't know whast kind you have but this one is for day and night. So I have my halide and whites going on and off at the same time and the blue always on. What kind of timer do you have? Does this sound OK?

70 watt halide-11am to 8 pm

White lunar-11am to 8 pm

Blue lunar-always on

:huh:

Ok. I got a power center timer by coralife. I can't keep my whites on an hour after my halide goes off. I don't know whast kind you have but this one is for day and night. So I have my halide and whites going on and off at the same time and the blue always on. What kind of timer do you have? Does this sound OK?

70 watt halide-11am to 8 pm

White lunar-11am to 8 pm

Blue lunar-always on

:huh:

That sounds fine. The LED moonlights don't really emit enough light to make a big difference in your lighting cycle. The Coralife powerstrip should work fine for managing your lights. I use a Premium Aquatics Lighthouse Controller to manage my lighting, heaters, and skimmer.

Archived