Cultivated Reef

January 2008 - Junkitu

Christopher Marks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent job on your nano! B)

Glad to see you adhearing to the K.I.S.S. principle on your filtration only further proving that you don't need NASA to set up your tank for it to look gorgeous. Glad to see TOTM back, and a fine choice by CM and our Mods!

Excellent job on your nano! B)

Glad to see you adhearing to the K.I.S.S. principle on your filtration only further proving that you don't need NASA to set up your tank for it to look gorgeous. Glad to see TOTM back, and a fine choice by CM and our Mods!

Thanks. This is my first try at saltwater and I wanted to keep it simple with an all-in-one. I'm considering starting another nano at home so I can relocate some of my coral and give them more room.

:bowdown: i LOVE your tank!!!! keep inspiring the rest of us.

Thanks PattyKat! It was good meeting you at the NCNRS frag swap today. Enjoy the frags and I look forward to hearing about your tank's comeback.

I think you have a gorgeous tank! A quick question though, do you have problems with the corals touching one another and how do you manage that (if you do). I would love my tank to end up looking like that (it has only been up for 3 days now...haha)! Great Job!

I was wondering why you don't use the glass top? I have the same exact tank and always used mine. I have had prolems with my clowns jumping over the back into the filter. Whats the advantage of it? Also did you corals start out as small frags or large pieces? :D

I think you have a gorgeous tank! A quick question though, do you have problems with the corals touching one another and how do you manage that (if you do). I would love my tank to end up looking like that (it has only been up for 3 days now...haha)! Great Job!

Thanks! Space is definitely at a premium in a nano. I've tried my best to create sections of my aquascape where I put similar species. For example, I've put zoas and palys together in one area and mushrooms and rics in another. SPS and LPS need to be given space so they don't sting or get stung. Even with good planning around coral placement turf wars will inevitably flare up as corals grow. Inevitably you either have to frag or let nature take its course and let the stronger coral win. I guess that's just life on the nano reef.

Enjoy the journey with your new tank and please keep us posted.

I was wondering why you don't use the glass top? I have the same exact tank and always used mine. I have had prolems with my clowns jumping over the back into the filter. Whats the advantage of it? Also did you corals start out as small frags or large pieces? :D

I upgraded my PC AP24 to MH so I never had a glass top. I'm not sure I'd use it if I did have one because I love to check out my tank from above. I've also heard that the tank can really heat up with the glass top under MH and that they can be a pain to keep clean due to the condensation. Fortunately my fish haven't been jumpers. A few months ago I had to fish my angel out of the back chambers but he hasn't done it agin since.

As for my coral, they all started out as either frags or smaller colonies since they're cheaper when you buy them that way :) You can click on the link to my tank thread below if you want to check out pictures. All of my corals have grown since I got them. Some more than others. For example, my blue zoas started out with 4 polyps and I probably have 70-100 now. Similarly, I started with 4 candy cane heads and now have around 20.

:eek::bowdown::wub:

wow! thats awesome!

P.S. I have been using a glass top.. I find it to get in the way.. but without it my water evaporates like crazy

:eek::bowdown::wub:

wow! thats awesome!

P.S. I have been using a glass top.. I find it to get in the way.. but without it my water evaporates like crazy

Thanks! I was thinking about making a screen top just in case my fish decide they want to jump.

You have an extremely colorful tank! I hope one day my tank will be like yours. :bowdown:

Thanks! I love the colors too. In fact, I went with a 20K MH bulb just to make those colors pop even more.My tank gets a ton of natural sunlight so I figured I could go bluer with my lighting.

Me too!!!! But I know it won't. :(Oh! I notice you have 2 clams. Do you have the stock 150 Watt bulb? I got one yesterday and placed it higher in the tank so it gets more light.

Archived