• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007

Someone gave me a duncan coral about three weeks ago but it will only open a tiny bit. I have it in a low flo low light area but it just doesn't seem happy. I have moved it around and no luck. My water params are good and when it was in my freinds tank it was open fully...what else do they need?

varanus37

varanus37

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
  • Joined 18 Nov 2006
  • Dwight, IL
My guy isn't in heavy flow but he's in a fairly high light area. Seems to really like it. I would make sure noone else is touching it. They don't seem to like being in close proximity to other frags. Not sure beyond that. Maybe a pic would help?

Good luck,

Bill
Is a .6 gallon, LED-powered acro forest possible? We'll see.

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007
Do they need high light? I heard they like low light so i have him at the bottom of the tank...should i move him up?

The Propagator

The Propagator

Lord Of The Reef's

• Members
  • 13,587 posts
  • Joined 16 Jun 2006
  • Cincinnati, Ohio
Unlike their relatives ( tubastrea ) Duncans need light.
They also need REGULAR spot feedings per head a couple times a week.
Personally I wouldnt blast them with light.
This is because they are found in deep water. So I would assume they would achieve thier best under medium to low lighting conditions with medium to low flow.
They do suck up the calcium as well.

MY BUYING / SELLING FEED BACK

The Propagators 100 Gallon prop tank

Posted Image "more cow bell !" Posted Image

Home of the LE Fart In-A-Bag
Posted Image

Have you heard the news?
Click here to find out !

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007
I put it low in the tank in the shade and it wouldn't come out at all...i have moved it around and it just doesn't want to come out...my calcium is good. I'm trying it kinda high in the tank now we'll see what happens.

Anyone one else have any experience with these?

chiahead

chiahead

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 04 Jun 2007
mine has been doing the same thing for about a week and a half now. I need some answers also.

my setup is 150w over a 24G with 50-60x turnover..good water param's..tried it high low with more and less flow. it just doesnt like my tank.

Mattfox27...have u tested ur Nitrates or Phosphates? just wondering if you have anything detectible?

Edited by chiahead, 24 December 2007 - 03:10 PM.

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007
No i havent tested recently but i do weekly water changes and all my other coral is doing great. Right now since i moved it to the top its kinda opening its open about the size of a dime right now...i have it under 250w MH...I'm pretty sure all my 'trates are good...I will keep you posted...

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007
So i just checked on the duncan after moving him up to the top under higher lighting and a tiny bit of flow and he has opened up as much as i have seen so far...so maybe he needs high light that seems to be working...but he still isn't opened all the way...hopefully tomorrow he will be in his new spot during a full photoperiod and open up all the way. I hope so becasue i have never seen him open since i bought him...I will keep ya posted.

deadfishy

deadfishy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 25 Jul 2007
My duncan is about 6-8 inches deep, under 150w metal halide + 48w actinic. Pretty decent flow, too. I spot feed him mysis and cyclopeeze every day, but I feed spot feed all my corals daily because it's fun and because I can. I also feed phytoplankton and golden pearls daily to the entire tank, and dose with B-Ionic to keep KH/Calcium up.

Salinity: 35ppt
Calcium: 440
KH: 9.5
Temp: 79.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0

Mine grows like crazy...new polyp every couple weeks.

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007
thats so weird my stupid one just wont open up...i'm gonna try a diffrent spot...

shaggydoo541

shaggydoo541

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,758 posts
  • Joined 11 Feb 2005
Duncans can handle quite a bit of water movement as long as it isn't direct. I also spot feed mine as much as possible and have seen tremendous growth. I've only had it for a month or two and the single baby head I have has tripled in size and should probably split soon (I hope).

Also what good is a thread on duncans with no pics???

Posted Image

Edited by shaggydoo541, 28 December 2007 - 01:05 PM.

jkreefer

jkreefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2007

Duncans can handle quite a bit of water movement as long as it isn't direct. I also spot feed mine as much as possible and have seen tremendous growth. I've only had it for a month or two and the single baby head I have has tripled in size and should probably split soon (I hope).

Also what good is a thread on duncans with no pics???

Posted Image

i've never seen one split but i have seen them bud...

mattfox27

mattfox27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 18 Sep 2007
should i keep moving it around until it finds a spot it likes? or do i just have a bad one? I mean should it do well pretty much anywhere in the tank? When it was sold to me i was told that its sooo hardy it will thrive anywhere, you cant kill this thing...but so far its the most sensitive coral i have ever owned.

also theres nothing too see on my duncan i can post a picture but all it would be is shriveled up tube...LOL

Edited by mattfox27, 28 December 2007 - 02:12 PM.

andersonkc

andersonkc

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 22 May 2013
  • Arlington Heights, IL

Hey Guys - 

Here are a few pictures of my Duncan. I took one before I fed it and after I fed it. 

I feed it once per week at the moment.

Hungry

Duncan_Hungry.JPG

Full

Duncan_Full.JPG

Kevin (andersonkc) | @LemonStain | My Nuvo 8 Build

Mstefa1

Mstefa1

Just keepin it real...

• Members
  • 2,985 posts
  • Joined 16 Jun 2009
Feed it. Mine only closes when I don't target feed it. I've got too many heads. Lol

matt_zpsf7c7699f.gif 
 custom-pico_zps092831bd.jpg - 1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish!

45g RR Cube w/ Radion gen3 - New build

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,255 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana

While they will eat and enjoy eating, feeding is not necessary. I have a duncan colony my clowns use as their host and I don't feed it all. Mainly because it's big enough already and I'm trying to slow down the growth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Mstefa1

Mstefa1

Just keepin it real...

• Members
  • 2,985 posts
  • Joined 16 Jun 2009

While they will eat and enjoy eating, feeding is not necessary. I have a duncan colony my clowns use as their host and I don't feed it all. Mainly because it's big enough already and I'm trying to slow down the growth.

lol. I use my duncan as a place to distract my cbs so that I can feed my Sun coral.

matt_zpsf7c7699f.gif 

spazizz

spazizz

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,993 posts
  • Joined 18 Mar 2007
  • Elizabethtown, PA

They can handle flow and light as long as they slowly acclimated to the new conditons. In high flow they get really long tentacles.

Feeding it is what got mine to open up.

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Joined 20 Feb 2013
  • Kansas City

I have mine towards the top in a Biocube 29 HQI. It get's a fair amount of light and medium flow.  It started out as a single head maybe 6 months ago and now it has about 7 full sized heads. I feed it a lot and it always seems happy.

knap_123

knap_123

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 09 Nov 2013
Mines on bottom and started as 2 heads. Now I have 16! Med. Light and a little flow is all the need. Leave it in 1 spot for about 3 days at a time. If it looks like its starting to come out at all leave it there longer. Mine closed up for about a week when I first got it. To much light and it will really lock down tight.

Sunar357

Sunar357

Geek

• Members
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined 02 Oct 2011
  • Rantoul, Illinois

Old topic is old.

Mstefa1

Mstefa1

Just keepin it real...

• Members
  • 2,985 posts
  • Joined 16 Jun 2009

Old topic is old.

lol, wow I didn't even realize that somebody dug up an old thread beause I was mobile.

matt_zpsf7c7699f.gif