ReefCleaners.org

I got T-5s PICS!

121a

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

121a,

which 4x24 kit did you get from reefgeeks.com? i was thinking about getting the tek kit from there, but substituting the tek reflectors for icecap ones.

Change that... i'm looking at getting the icecap set up. For some reason I thought the TEK retro kit was cheaper and would be cheaper to just sub the icecap reflectors. But the 2 kits are the same price... so i'm gonna go with the icecap kit.

Very interested in the led talk. Sounds like something interesting to try.

AdriftQuasar

I've been wanting to upgrade the lighting on my 20 high from 130w of PC to either 4x24w HO T5's or 150w of MH. 121a, I'm really looking forward to seeing some pictures of the T5s over your tank. I'm not sure what I'm basing this on, but for some reason I just like the look and the idea of T5's more than I do MH.

My understaning is that the shimmering from metal halides is because the light is emitted in a concentrated area (i.e the smaller bulb?) and that the shimmering is due to ripples on the surface of the water. So given that, if you used a few intense l.e.d.'s you might be able to get a little of that shimmering affect.

My understaning is that the shimmering from metal halides is because the light is emitted in a concentrated area (i.e the smaller bulb?) and that the shimmering is due to ripples on the surface of the water. So given that, if you used a few intense l.e.d.'s you might be able to get a little of that shimmering affect.

Totally agree...Only thing is I already have 3 420 nm LED...great shimmer at night...cant even tell

they are on during daylight cycle.

I would love to try those new Current LEDS...4 per strip in the 10k wavelength to see if any shimmer is

added.

I would jump on buying 2 of those instead of MH if it actually worked...

Most peeps think the T5 HO would over power the LED...and no noticable shimmer :angry:

Izzue

Totally agree...Only thing is I already have 3 420 nm LED...great shimmer at night...cant even tell

they are on during daylight cycle.

I would love to try those new Current LEDS...4 per strip in the 10k wavelength to see if any shimmer is

added.

I would jump on buying 2 of those instead of MH if it actually worked...

Most peeps think the T5 HO would over power the LED...and no noticable shimmer :angry:

Izzue

i have l.e.d's that produce a nice looking shimmer at night too. I also wondered if the T-5's would be overpowering. But I've seen the brightness of the maglite l.e.d.'s.. they are pretty bright, so something like that might do the trick.

Izzue, are they 1w LEDs? I really think I'm going to get about 4, 3w white leds and see if they shimmer. Or like you said try the Current Power Bright Strips.

Izzue, are they 1w LEDs? I really think I'm going to get about 4, 3w white leds and see if they shimmer. Or like you said try the Current Power Bright Strips.

Yes they are the 1 watt 420 nm's...Man if you try to whites to get some shimmer...please

let me know what do you think.

Tks

Izzue

I did get my lights today!!! I also got candy from reefgeek too! Took me about 45min. to get the whole retros wired. I don't think i got the right bulbs, but the one they sent me that i think i didn't order is nice. The icecap reflectors are 100% than the TEK2s i have in my mh fixture. They sent me so much wire i think if you attached every end you could go around my block. Wiring was straight forward, just clip, strip, and slip in the terminals. Instructions on the ballast are nice and easy to follow. I think my bulb choice was fantastic too! I cannot wait till i assemble this tank and see the lights on. This is looking to be very promising. Here are the pics

T5s001.jpg

T5s002.jpg

T5s003.jpg

T5s004.jpg

T5s005.jpg

T5s006.jpg

T5s007.jpg

very nice... maybe i missed it but how are you mounting these? and will you use glass between bulb and water? (i know they dont need uv protection, im wondering about salt creep)

I was thinking about using acrylic as a splash guard, but I'm thinking it will decrese my light output a bit, so i ruled against it. I'm going to make a little square and then mount the T-5s on it and then put them as far down as possible in my canopy.

Looking Good!!!!

Ive got mine installed in a low hood...they are only bout 4 inchs from the top of water...

No guards...have splashed several times...I even need to snap the reflectors off the bulbs

and clean bulbs and reflectors.

I fiqured by now I would have exploded a bulb...but so far so good. Been set up like this

since middle last summer.

What bulbs and brands did you get??

Looks like a SuperActinic...UV

Aqua blue......ATI

75/25 UV

Aqua Sun UV

How far off am I ???

Izzue

im contemplating how to mount my 36w lamps on a 30inch tank... i saw your tank build thread, are you planning on having any temp control for your hood? fan? fan and controler?

EDIT: god im a bad speller

EDIT #2: what are stand offs and why are they $5 a pair... it just looks like a little piece of plastic

^^^

The stand offs are what you pop the endcaps into...then they have the holes that you

screw into hood to hold the caps with bulb.

Izzue

• 2 weeks later...

My tank is not set up yet. moving everything into a 10g tank for the time being. Yes 4 fish, two clams and some frags in a 10g for maybe two weeks or more. I'm nuts... Anyway i'm using the T-5s on it or i should say two as i had a ballast malfunction. I'll be using the 6000K and the Bluewhite bulb. It is very very very bright over a 10g tank! I'll post some pics when the tank is full.

Archived