Pod Your Reef

Common Zoa Pests, Diseases, and Treatments

Weetabix7

briansbelle

i need some help..

i have a frag of zoas that are showing signs of zoa pox, and they are attached to zoas that arent showing signs yet, should i dip the whole frag?

also is the powdered form the same as the capsules? i cannot find the capsules anywhere, just 10 pack powder boxes...

none of these zoas are so bad that the polyps wont open so i am hoping i caught it in time...

also should i treat any zoa that has little white specks on it?

and do i do this dip everytime i introduce new zoas?

thanks!!

belle

Edited by briansbelle
i need some help..

i have a frag of zoas that are showing signs of zoa pox, and they are attached to zoas that arent showing signs yet, should i dip the whole frag?

also is the powdered form the same as the capsules? i cannot find the capsules anywhere, just 10 pack powder boxes...

none of these zoas are so bad that the polyps wont open so i am hoping i caught it in time...

also should i treat any zoa that has little white specks on it?

and do i do this dip everytime i introduce new zoas?

thanks!!

belle

You should dip the whole frag.

Powders are fine.

Harder to answer on treating any zoa w/little white specks, pics would help.

Don't do this every time you get new zoas.

Carlton'sTank
You should dip the whole frag.

Powders are fine.

Harder to answer on treating any zoa w/little white specks, pics would help.

Don't do this every time you get new zoas.

Coral revive by two little fishes is a popular product that is used to dip new corals before qt. Just a heads up.

Coral revive by two little fishes is a popular product that is used to dip new corals before qt. Just a heads up.

Yeah, I've heard good stuff about that.

Haven't used it, but I hope to get some eventually.

I have one frag that is infected with something,

I moved it to 2 inches from my 175 watt Phoenix and it helped some.

However the frag is still messed up,

it's been that way for months.

The frag was a 200 polyp colony,

I couldn't save much of it....

A fuzzy sponge was growing over it,

melting the colony now it still remain under the frag plug and I think as that brown crap..

I think the sponge liked my previous crappy light,

because it seems to not be a problem, this is the only frag where it's an issue.

It doesn't seem to bother/grown on any other of my zoas(i lost the colony months ago),

however I want to help this one because it's rare and I can't buy it anywhere.

post-35179-1268159890_thumb.jpg

post-35179-1268159967_thumb.jpg

Edited by jm82792
I have one frag that is infected with something,

I moved it to 2 inches from my 175 watt Phoenix and it helped some.

However the frag is still messed up,

it's been that way for months.

The frag was a 200 polyp colony,

I couldn't save much of it....

A fuzzy sponge was growing over it,

melting the colony now it still remain under the frag plug and I think as that brown crap..

I think the sponge liked my previous crappy light,

because it seems to not be a problem, this is the only frag where it's an issue.

It doesn't seem to bother/grown on any other of my zoas(i lost the colony months ago),

however I want to help this one because it's rare and I can't buy it anywhere.

I would try dipping it in some kind of iodine based dip for 3 days in a row.

You could do a lugol's dip as follows:

1 cup tankwater

2 drops lugol's iodine

3 mins

You could also try Seachem Reef Dip, Revive, Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure, these are all good ones to try.

I'll buy one of the ones you listed,

I'm sorta nuts not having dip and like 90% of the corals I can have are zoas :)

Thanks weetabix.

Edited by jm82792
I'll buy one of the ones you listed,

I'm sorta nuts not having dip and like 90% of the corals I can have are zoas :)

Thanks weetabix.

Lol, yeah, you might wanna get some dip.

I just ordered some Revive tonight, guess I'll get to try it out for myself now. :)

• 1 month later...
neverendingz

I am having issues with my Zoa's and an infiltration of Nudi's. I 1st found 1 a few weeks ago not knowing about them, then they started multiplying. Now partial areas of colonies are closed.

I bought the Lugols Iodine last night so it should be here tomorrow.

The question I have is I have my Zoa's on Live rock already and have been in my tank now for over 10 months. Is it ok to do the fresh water dip technique with my Zoa's still attached to the LR? I am pretty sure this is the way to go but want to make sure. I have 1 LR with xenia and Zoa's attached. Is there anything I should look out for before doing this? thanks in advance.

I am having issues with my Zoa's and an infiltration of Nudi's. I 1st found 1 a few weeks ago not knowing about them, then they started multiplying. Now partial areas of colonies are closed.

I bought the Lugols Iodine last night so it should be here tomorrow.

The question I have is I have my Zoa's on Live rock already and have been in my tank now for over 10 months. Is it ok to do the fresh water dip technique with my Zoa's still attached to the LR? I am pretty sure this is the way to go but want to make sure. I have 1 LR with xenia and Zoa's attached. Is there anything I should look out for before doing this? thanks in advance.

Oh boy, you're gonna have your hands full dealing with this.

You will need to FW dip any rocks/pieces that have Zoas/Palys on them.

If you FW dip a rock that has Zoas and another coral on it, don't submerge the other coral in the FW, just hold the rock so that only the Zoas/Palys are under water.

Other corals will handle exposure to air much better than they will exposure to FW.

You will need to examine everything, all rocks, all Z&P frags very carefully for Nudi eggs.

See first post for info on how to recognize and remove Nudi Eggs.

• 2 weeks later...
neverendingz
I have read where Flat Worm Exit is successful for treating the whole tank for nudis. What are your thoughts?

+1 on the above

I did 2 dips of the Lugol's Iodine spreading it out in 3 days. So far so good and my Zoa's are coming out again. I did probably lose about 15% of my population do to the nudibranch's. I may give them 1 more dip to be on the safe side in case I missed some more babies. By accident I dipped 2 small mushrooms that I did not see... Hopefully they recover.

+1 on the above

I did 2 dips of the Lugol's Iodine spreading it out in 3 days. So far so good and my Zoa's are coming out again. I did probably lose about 15% of my population do to the nudibranch's. I may give them 1 more dip to be on the safe side in case I missed some more babies. By accident I dipped 2 small mushrooms that I did not see... Hopefully they recover.

Please tell me you did a Freshwater dip as well.

Lugol's alone will not kill nudis.

Freshwater will.

Did you look for and remove any eggs?

• 3 weeks later...
Dmarmontello

Any idea why these two polyps are half closed? There is some white stuff on the polyp, might be a fungus but it looks like scarring. The skirt is pulled in towards the mouth. My parameters are good and my other polyps are fine.

BTW Thanks for all the great info on here!

Any idea why these two polyps are half closed? There is some white stuff on the polyp, might be a fungus but it looks like scarring. The skirt is pulled in towards the mouth. My parameters are good and my other polyps are fine.

BTW Thanks for all the great info on here!

I'm not sure.

Is there anything nearby that could be stinging or irritating them, even something like a small aiptasia?

Is there anything picking at them?

Dmarmontello

No my tank is aiptasia free.. I thought maybe something stung them too but the only other corals that close are other Zoas and Florida Ricordea. I have re-dipped the frag and they still are half closed like in the picture. The stalks seem to be pest free so I'm at a loss here.

No my tank is aiptasia free.. I thought maybe something stung them too but the only other corals that close are other Zoas and Florida Ricordea. I have re-dipped the frag and they still are half closed like in the picture. The stalks seem to be pest free so I'm at a loss here.

Hmm, not sure what to tell you other than to keep an eye on it.

There are things you can try just to see if they'll help, dip in Revive, dip in Lugol's, etc.

I wouldn't try a FW dip since they're Palys, which are more sensitive to FW.

They look like Palys, anyway.

Do keep an eye out for something nibbling on them like night time pests, Sexy Shrimp, or Pods.

Dmarmontello
Hmm, not sure what to tell you other than to keep an eye on it.

There are things you can try just to see if they'll help, dip in Revive, dip in Lugol's, etc.

I wouldn't try a FW dip since they're Palys, which are more sensitive to FW.

They look like Palys, anyway.

Do keep an eye out for something nibbling on them like night time pests, Sexy Shrimp, or Pods.

I don't have any sexy shrimp but I do have some copepods/ampidops in the tank.. i thought they would just irritate the Paly or Zoa. I do believe these are Zoas by the way; they are just large. (Lunar Eclipse)

I don't have any sexy shrimp but I do have some copepods/ampidops in the tank.. i thought they would just irritate the Paly or Zoa. I do believe these are Zoas by the way; they are just large. (Lunar Eclipse)

I'm fairly certain Lunar Eclipse are Palys.

I had some Lunar Eclipse for all of 5 days or so before they were eaten by Amphipods in my tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=144465&hl=

Dmarmontello

Oh my mistake.. well maybe its the Amphipods bothering it. I have a 6 line wrasse who keeps the pods population under control but there are still some in there at night.

Thanks for your help!

Added pic: He wasn't on these Zoas but he was on another set. Might have been the cause. Neon green flat worm.. he was cool but had to go.

Edited by Dmarmontello
  • 3 months later...
Guest jeffrojas2010

I have some issue with the claims of gloom and doom in some cases. For example, red bugs. How many, if any, accounts are they of red bugs harming any acros? Sure they infest them, but you have cited they "can decimate an acropora population and can spread very quickly to other acropora and ultimately whip out entire colonies." When and where. I have yet to find a case iof coral casualtiers, aside from anecdotal claims of "reduced polyp extension". All in all, I dont want red bugs in my tank, but I also dont think they are a big deal. And certainly not a "critical emergency"

I have some issue with the claims of gloom and doom in some cases. For example, red bugs. How many, if any, accounts are they of red bugs harming any acros? Sure they infest them, but you have cited they "can decimate an acropora population and can spread very quickly to other acropora and ultimately whip out entire colonies." When and where. I have yet to find a case iof coral casualtiers, aside from anecdotal claims of "reduced polyp extension". All in all, I dont want red bugs in my tank, but I also dont think they are a big deal. And certainly not a "critical emergency"

Well, I can tell you that Red Bugs totally wiped out a small blue Acropra frag, but left my other two Acros alone. I'm talking about complete down to the skelton tissue recession, not just polyp retraction.