4 replies to this topic

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Joined 28 Aug 2007
  • SoCal

I'm currently using Oceanic Sea Salt Mix but someone recommended Marine Environment Sea Salt Mix. It's a 2 part salt mix, 1st the salt then additives. Seems like the second part a.k.a. "the little bottle" as they call it is supposed to contain all elements but it sounds a little too good to be true. Has anyone used this mix before?

lgreen

lgreen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 16,412 posts
  • Joined 17 Mar 2004
  • Idaho
imo oceanic and marine environment salt both suck.

Do a search for marine environment salt. Anything that could be said about it has already been said many times in many threads.

supernip

supernip

The fairest of them all

• Members
  • 16,166 posts
  • Joined 13 Oct 2002
dont you wonder that if the salt were good, they wouldn't need the additive?

Unless in theory, you have to split certain ions like Mg2+ and Ca2+ to get a more homologous mixture with more consistent concentrations. But I sort of doubt you can attain that by a single bottle.

Another thing to consider is a drop is in no way uniform, so if you don't mix 50gals at a time, how useful is that bottle?

And lastly, I used this company's bio-sea salt. I don't recommend that one.

Sudoku Champion

23w1jr9.jpg

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Joined 28 Aug 2007
  • SoCal
Thanks for the info. I'm all for trying new things but prefer to get more than one opinion for reasons just like this. So far is 2 to 1 not in favor of. I agree on the additives being separated...no way to really dose properly unless you mix the amounts they require.

tinyreef

tinyreef

Sofa King Reefy

• Members
  • 14,331 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2002
  • Livingston, NJ
while i agree on the difficulty of properly mixing the two-part to achieve the mfg's "optimal" mix, i think i understand why. some compounds just can't exist together without reacting/combining prior to actual intended use or being able to be used optimally, e.g. two-part ca/alk solutions like b-ionic.

also, while i did use ME i prefer bio-sea and have had very good results with it. although i don't do a lot of waterchanges it does perform well when i do/did use it on my various setups in the past. i also suspect ME salt is merely bio-sea with the extra bottle/additive setting it apart as the ME grade.