Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

For the past 6mos (at least 2-3times per month), I've been stopping by the Scripps pier in LaJolla, CA, hoping they would make filtered sea water available once again. Today, the faucet was open! Natural Sea Water, Baby!

Right now, my tank looks horrid due to bad DI water from the LFS. GHA and bubble algae everywhere. Corals have survived, but only on life support - no food, only light and light water changes.

Free NSW is definitely a game changer. I'm gonna kick up water changes to 10 gallons per week, until all of the bad stuff is removed. Gonna stick to a skimmerless setup since I'll be siphoning out a majority of the gunk on a weekly basis.

Saving up for LED lighting. I've been away for too long. Any suggestions on a particular lighting unit?

Yay, water changes ftw! Glad to see youre still in it and cant wait to see how it turns out.

DIY builds are a lot cheaper, and pretty easy. Heatsink, drivers, crees, pots, and power supplies.

Saving up for LED lighting. I've been away for too long. Any suggestions on a particular lighting unit?

I'd talk to DFason about his Ryujin lighting unit if I were going to head the LED direction. Storm mode ftw

What's happenin, old friends? Had to change hobbies until Scripps made NSW available to the public. Definitely a game changer. Construction had cut off supply for about 6mos. (So I've been bodybuilding: lost 35lbs and cut down to 7.5% body fat, for anyone who's curious. lol) Now that I've got access to free water, I'm looking to devote more time to reefing!

So I've about had it with these 250W Halides. Energy monster. Seriously looking into LEDs but I haven't got the time or the skills to build a unit myself. ANY FELLOW NANO-REEFERS OUT THERE WILLING TO HAND CRAFT ONE FOR ME (for a reasonable price please)? If anyone's interested, here are my tank specs:

33.6 Gallon Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank 24.8 x 17.7 x 17.7

Thought I'd put it out there for those you might like side projects. If not, no worries, I'll just have to burn another halide bulb over the next 6mos.

So happy that you're back in action Randy! Congrats on losing weight and bulking up a bit.

Dave is the man for LED fixtures...i should have one from him for my 17g rimless in the coming week or two.

Adam

So happy that you're back in action Randy! Congrats on losing weight and bulking up a bit.

Dave is the man for LED fixtures...i should have one from him for my 17g rimless in the coming week or two.

Adam

How you been, Adam? Need to stop by your thread to see how the corals are doing. I think I'm gonna take your advice and go with Dave on the LEDs.

As for my tank, water changes are much more efficient without having to mix synthetic sea salt, not to mention it's FREE. I've already changed 30 gallons of NSW over the last two weeks, and the tank is now taking a FAST transformation for the better. Added 6 large turbo snails and a sea hare to irradicate the GHA. After 1 week, GHA has almost completely disappeared. And finally changed carbon after 4mos. Now the only apparent eye sore is red/green bubble algae. But hopefully they won't continue to spread as water conditions improve.

With unlimited NSW from the Scripps pier, I feel more confident in maintaining a filterless system. No protein skimmer, no sump, no floss, nothing except flow. The pH probe constantly monitors alkalinity levels so the only parameter I need to watch closely is calcium.

Crossing my fingers that the tank won't experience any serious setbacks. It's gone through so much trauma already!

Things have been busy Randy. Between the usual 9-5, doing some photo shoots as a side business, and migrating things from my 20H to the new rimless, I haven't had a whole lot of time for general cruising of NR.

So let me get this out of the way and say that I'm just a little jealous of your free NSW. So all you do is show up with buckets/containers and they fill it up? Did I mention I'm jealous ;)

Glad to hear that things appear to be back on the mend. With your husbandry and experience, I'm sure this tank will be back rockin' soon.

-Adam

Things have been busy Randy. Between the usual 9-5, doing some photo shoots as a side business, and migrating things from my 20H to the new rimless, I haven't had a whole lot of time for general cruising of NR.

So let me get this out of the way and say that I'm just a little jealous of your free NSW. So all you do is show up with buckets/containers and they fill it up? Did I mention I'm jealous ;)

Glad to hear that things appear to be back on the mend. With your husbandry and experience, I'm sure this tank will be back rockin' soon.

-Adam

I'm sure your new rimless is gonna be a crazy success. Things have been busy for me too, with the move to SoCal and all. I'll have to check out your thread over the weekend. Anxious to see how my old corals are flourishing in your tank!

So no one is there to fill up my containers, but there's a sophisticated sand filtration system which somehow connects to a pvc pipe/valve/hose. You just drive up your car, open the valve, and fill up a 5 gallon container in 10 seconds flat! I bring only 3-4 jugs at a time, so the NSW doesn't go stale at my home. I believe it's available 24hrs/day, and so many local reefers depend on it. Water parameters are ABSOLUTELY PERFECT out of the hose. I'll have to take some pics of the filtration system the next time I get some. It's quite impressive. I'll have to snap an FTS of my frag tank soon too.

• 1 month later...
foothill reefer

welcome back Randy. i was down near your neighborhood last month. i stayed at Solana Beach by the Del Mar race track. i always enjoy the Del Mar beach when i am there. That's great that you can get NSW from the Scripps pier, where exactly is that? i need to go check it out next time i am there. Great job on getting in shape, i seems like everyone is in good shape in SD. I see bikers all the time riding along the coast. . The brain coral i got from you is doing well.

check out this led light from Taiwan. it's the best LED fixture i have seen. each type of LED light, white, red, and blue, have its own power source so it can be set with its own timer.

http://www.thortek.com.tw/index.php?option...=74〈=EN

Archived