inTank Media Baskets

Luk3s 12g AP *new stuff w/pics*

Luk3

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wrasse are the fish most people have luck with naturally eliminating flatworms. However since scooters are dragonettes (same family as mandarins) I don't see why you don't have a chance of that occuring. But then, it's just a chance. Try siphoning out what you can to limit reproduction.

lol your welcome

good because there was this awsome spotted mandarin at my LFS and i was thinking about getting him (dont worry everyone he also accepts frozen mysis)

How are things going, Luke? Any changes?

Glad to read you ditched the bio-balls and ceramics. As soon as I set my 8G I started the refugium and things have been going very well for me so far. I hope I don't have the same problem with the nitrates, I'll be watching this thread for any potential solutions indeed....

Because he sees the probable death of another beautiful fish. Your 12 gallon will most likely not be able to sustain a Mandarin. Some people have done it but the odds are against you and the fish. You would be best served not to attempt this.

thats what i figured :( Can anyone give me anymore hints or tips on how to lower my nitrates further ive done the things that people had suggested (other than a fuge) and ive still seen no change. Maybe im being impatient but my tank looks real empty.

What about a firefish does any think i could keep a firefish in my current conditions?

You DID set up a fuge, that's what your rear compartments have become since you've added the LR. Now, go out and buy some chaeto, it is a very resilient plant that will consume nutrients, including - yes, your nitrates.

Try the chaeto out, it can only benefit your system (unless ammonia spikes, it WILL kill this plant iirc). Also, try and set up a light for your fuge - your chaeto will need it.

and to answer your question - don't get anything else for f*ck's sake, you will only exacerbate your problems. get your nitrates below 5 or to 0 preferably before doing anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright well i havent updated in a while. I scraped the idea of a fish for now. (thanks everyone who told me i was a moron cool.gif ) Well i just let everything sit for a while and just watched and finally some good things happened. My zoanthids started opening only 2 at first they were all nasty looking but now they are bright orange again and the other 2 are doing the same thing. A little piece broke off of the 5 polpy frag so i put the single polyp in a low flow area with lots of light and it grew another polyp! (i was pretty excited) also my GSP is forming its sea mat and it has 4 more poylps then when i first got it. It hasnt opened all the way for a day or to so i increased the flow as it was in almost no flow because i wanted it to attach. Also my first frag of zoanthids and openeing up as well and i got a mushroom. One of my turbo snails did die but my nassarius snail made quick work of that and i got it on video which was kinda cool. Im keeping up with my weekly 2g water changes and cleaning out the sponge every week. So things have been going good except my nitrates still wont lower, but im just going to continue to wait and hopefully the extra 6.5 pounds of LR i added a couple weeks ago will stablize everything.

Pics will be posted later. any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Well alot of things have happened i suppose. My trumpet coral is doing great i feed a couple days a week. it looks like it getting its color back and its getting bigger and the splitting of one head is almost complete. GSP are doing very well too. I have a couple new additions to the tank. Francous the skunk cleaner shrimp and a nice pumping xenia. When i got my cleaner shirmp the LFS guy threw in some cheato so i put it in the main part of my tank, held down by some rocks, i figured it couldnt hurt. I also picked up a "stick-o-zoas" My LFS have a rock stick covered with raspberry redd (according to zoa ID) zoas and i couldnt resist.

Raspberry Redd Zoas on a Stick

DSC00338.jpg

Watermelon Zoas

DSC00340.jpg

Dragon eye Zoas

DSC00341.jpg

Green striped mushroom (altough it looks more tan)

DSC00342.jpg

Candy Cane sweepers

DSC00331.jpg

Francous

DSC00365.jpg

bottom left corner of tank

DSC00336.jpg

I havent got a good pic of xenia yet but i will. Ill also get a FTS shot soon.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated

Well Everything seemed to be thriving so i decided to find some clown fish. I came home with a beautiful mated pair of true percs, still fairly young. Ive been watching them for two days now and they always stay together, stay in the current, near the front of the glass and near the top. It looks like they go up for air every once in a while but it might just be because they see something at the top. Is this normal for them to stay at the top and what are some signs of distressed clowns?

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00518.jpg

That's a great looking set of fish you have there... I think I'm either going with the Onyx or Picasso's!

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you!

Thanks for the comments guys i appreciate it. I was going to go with false percs but when i saw these guys i couldnt resist.

Oh they acclimated fine and they are eating mysis shrimp ravenously and they seem very hardy always swimming strong.

Anyone have any advice.

I was also wondering how much to feed them and when. Right now im feeding them a medium amount of mysis everyday. And bump for the staying up top question, should i be worried PLEASE HELP!

No need to worry, they are doing their clown thing. On thing you might check is the amount of O2 you are putting into the water. Do you have a fuge or sump or protein skimmer? Are you causing any kind of turbulence on the waters surface?

Well i got some new styuff. Picked up a two headed duncan frag and another zoa.

DSC00755.jpg

I.D. anyone?

DSC00762-1.jpg

I think they are freak-a-leak whammers but i cant say for shure without a better pic

Archived