Coral Vue Hydros

5g ADA Rimless - 24 Months in

dapellegrini

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dapellegrini

Well I have always had a few Vermitid that I just can't quite kill...

IMG_4199.JPG

But I have never seen the HC come and steal from it before

IMG_4230.JPG

And I just added a GBG - great idea I borrowed from Diane. What cool little fish. Very curious and active

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4323.JPG

and these guys get really big, but I thought I would see how long I could keep a couple of them - my new favorite snail

IMG_4328.JPG

wow I love your GBG! I've seen lots of them snorkeling here in PR. I'm pretty sure they're from here only. Very hard to catch in wild by the way. Your tank looks awesome as always

Tanque Verde

Hey Dan,

Marvelous tanks!

Did you ever install that custom surface skimmer? If so, or if not, have you no other filtration? (I read through your thread and apologize if I missed this info.)

Thanks,

Ben

dapellegrini

Thx for the kind words - no filtration - I never did finish my surface skimmer idea. It is just running on a Rio-90 powerhead. I am considering upgrading to a Rio-180 with a modified outlet that I could split it two directions. BUT the Rio-90 + weekly water changes has worked out quite well for me to date.

dapellegrini

It's really not that impressive from my end. The water surface still gets a little scummy after 5-7 days (I siphon from the top of the tank during water changes to get rid of the build up) and the glass still needs to be cleaned. Can't quite think of what I would need a filter for on this thing, except maybe skimming.

Sometimes I wonder if you SW folks have any kind of a clue about how much work a high-tech FW tank can be. This little nano is pretty low maintenance in comparison. But you definitely have to keep up with it to keep it pretty :)

• 2 weeks later...
dapellegrini

LOL - Nope... I got really small ones intentionally - when they get to big they will be moved...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum and have read a lot of posts but this one is my all-time favorite. Your tank is gorgeous and I love the Amano-esque landscaped reef tank. It's visually very appealing. I have a FW planted tank (low tech) with a similar look but never thought to do that with a pico reef.

I spent over 3 days reading this post and was bummed to get to the end of it. Please don't stop this thread...if anything, start a sequel on another thread. B)

BTW: I'm sure keeping the Caulerpa, as well as, certain "nuisance" corals under control won't be too big of a problem for you since you come from the world of FW planted tanks (high tech)....those are IMHO super high maintenance. Fragging the occasional Xenia stalk or GSP should be a walk in the park.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
dapellegrini

Sorry, been really busy as of late. Not too much new with the tank. I think it is suffering from too much evaporation / salinity swings. I do manual top-offs nearly every day, but nothing seems to fill in that fast and I just have horrible luck with Zoos... So I have an ATO system from AquaHub in the mail and we will see if that helps.

I am also considering a better solution for flow. These Rio PH are good, but I would like to vary the flow more. I got excited about the VorTech 20, but it looks like its lowest setting is 500gph, which would put half my tank water on the floor :( I wish the made a VorTech 5...

A few weeks ago I stumbled on a couple of cool looking sponges but they are SO HUGE for this tank it has been a real challenge finding a place for them. My favorite has a colony of encrusted zoos. I also decided to give a gorgonia a go... In retrospect I wish I would have gotten a purple one...

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

Otherwise kinda boring right now:

IMG_5038.JPG

Misc shots from around the tank:

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_4836.JPG

oh, and is this mini, branching bubble algae "bad":

IMG_5019.JPG

Boring? I think not :) How cool is that sponge with those encrusting zoas.....awesome. Brings so much life and character to the tank with that splash of red color. Great choice of the addition.

disaster999

i just started working and saw some people with fish tanks at their cubical...i wanna start one up too. probably getting an ADA tank since yours is so sweet!

do they come in anything smaller than 5g?

• 2 weeks later...
dapellegrini

At night the zoo colony on the Sponge really opens up, though they loose their color in the flash:

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

almost looks like aiptasia...

dapellegrini

Thanks guys. I am struggling a bit with salinity swings due to evaporation right now, more on that later. I also just got a purple Gorgonia to add to the tank today. Updates imminent ...

Archived