Pod Your Reef

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

Unknown paly and ric

DSC_01681.JPG

At least a few of my sps are taking to the new tank nicely...a lot of the other were shocked terribly after the flood and have suffered major retention...

DSC_0216.JPG

Maxima babies

DSC_02601.JPG

I want to know the names of these guys. They are a lot more red in person. If you know the name let me know!

DSC_0237.JPG

Name?

DSC_0207.JPG

RPE (not the nicest I have seen)

DSC_0206.JPG

Some of my favorites

DSC_02641.JPG

Crocea

DSC_00067.JPG

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was in school we weren't even allowed halogen lamps in our rooms. How on earth are you going to get away with that?! Best of luck to you, it's a cool set-up.
Even Surge protectors were banned for fire hazards in my dorm. That is nuts! omgomgomg

Awsome tank btw!

You see, I know the staff really well including the custodian and head of residence life. The custodian actually goes in to look at the tank every day while I am brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I am only here for one more semester so even if they make the rules clearer it wont affect me.

To be honest, I don't think anyone in charge even knows what a metal halide light it. This is the kind of thing that I doubt was foreseen, so it's working out pretty good for me. Also, for work study I take care of all the aquariums on campus (which is the job that funds my tanks in their entirety) so that gives me a little bit of clout to keep one myself.

Man your tank is bada**. Like everyone else said, I wouldn't have dreamed of trying to bring something like that to my dorm when I was in school a couple years ago. Then again, they were kind of tight as*es where I went so it never would have flown.

Looks incredible and glad to hear that there are a lot of people around there looking out for your tank and that would give you a call. I know one of my roomates would have just been like, "oh, I guess he'll be back soon and the water will dry." :)

Best of luck with it man and keep up the pics...you've got some sweet corals in there.

So do you guys have hall meetings and just sit around and chat around the tank?

Got an order in today:

4 sexy shrimp

3 pom pom crabs

mandarin dragonet

banded pipe fish

red open brain

DSC_00164.JPG

DSC_00991.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

One poor guy didn't make it...

DSC_01083.JPG

Random pics

Check out the brittle star in the zoos

DSC_0152.JPG

Nice, deep purple people eater

DSC_01263.JPG

One of the pompoms attacking another and tearing off a piece of that strange white thing that one crab was wrapped up in when it arrived. I am worried that it is a regurgitated intestine or something like that...

DSC_0068.JPG

Finally got a good shot of the pipefish. It's very active. I might try it out in the display tank. There are LOADS of pods there for it to feast on although I am not too sure how the clown would take to the company.

DSC_0091.JPG

The pipefish is probably around 7 inches. I expected a much smaller one when I ordered it. It is in a nanocube 24 that is plumbed in with the zeroedge and acts as a fuge. It is very active and searching out pods, really cool to watch.

Now, some bad news. I glanced at the tank late last night to see another dead sexy. I have lost at least 2 of 4, which really sucks. I can see one alive and healthy and have not seen the other yet. I am really disappointed in that. Three of them looked great when I put them in yesterday. The first to die looked really bad in the bag and crashed after that. Also, the pom pom crab with the white stringy thing is doing poorly. I think it must have been part of its intestine or innards of some sort. Another crab attacked it and ate part of the white thing and from that moment on the crab stopped moving and got more and more lethargic in its movements. Today it looks hardly alive. I have never lost anything before (aside from some mollies and a damsel killed by my clown) and it is really disheartening to lose so much so quickly.

However, I fragged out three different paly colonies last night and got around 25 1-5 polyp frags from them that I will grow out and hopefully recoup some of my losses with.

Just a few new pictures.

Unfortunatly, my clownfish killed the mandarin dragonette. I woke up to find frags knocked down all over the tank and the dragonette, headless, finless, skinnless, near the front of the tank. It didn't stink so I knew it was a fresh kill. I took a chance and moved the pipefish to the display as I was worried if it had enough food in the nanocube. I watched very closely for a few hours while doing homework and the clownfish showed zero interest in the new addition. It has been happily picking pods in the zeroedge for five days now.

DSC_01621.JPG

DSC_01792.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

I made about 50 frags of various zoas and palys recently, here are a few

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_02021.JPG

DSC_02151.JPG

And my new frogspawn. It looks amazing in person, bright green with pink tips, but looks really washed out in this pic. Not sure what's wrong...

DSC_02722.JPG

The tank flooded my room again. Not nearly as much water this time...

I am in shock that the worst possible thing happened twice. The check-valves have still not arrived from the seller. I am stupid to have set up the tank so early, but I just couldn't wait months with the tank sitting here empty. All the livestock looks OK. I lost one head of my frogspawn. It didn't die, just disconnected from the skeleton. It even inflates, strange.

It is really disillusioning to have your tank empty itself onto your floor twice. I feel like getting out of reefing just to save the trouble. I can't let this happen again.

Man, sorry to hear about all of the problems with the flooding and also the loss of the dragonette. Sounds like it's been a rough setup so far. You DEFINITELY should not get out of reefing though....you have some bada** tanks for sure.

So when are you supposed to be getting the check valves?

3rd dump is now under my belt. The problem is fixed...

Anyway, here's an interesting little starfish I found on the acrylic.

DSC_00762.JPG

It's been a while since I have updated. The plumbing is all fixed and a check valve is added, so that's good news. My sps is starting to color up again which was a huge relief as I was not sure how they would take to the new arangement. I actually am seeing incredibly fast growth on the sps and a lot of dead skeleton is being reclaimed. Also, I had a bad feather caulerpa problem that has finally coming under control after I did a major water change and fixed up the fuge.

Best news of all: I was checking out the sole lfs, which never has anything at all (the owner hates saltwater) and something caught my eye in a tank of three-year old lr. There was a blue-striped pipefish swiming in the corner! Nearly full grown, fat and healthy. I asked the guy there about it and he told me that got it well over a year ago but that no one had seen it for months until that day. They had long since erased its price so they gave it to me for $25. That's about average for online orders but an incredible deal considering the prices I see at that LFS. The blue-stripe gets along great with my clown and banded pipefish.

DSC_01651.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

Gorgeous pipefish!

I so far havent flooded the halls in my dorm (granted, RO/DI + bathroom did equal a few floods, but that was the bathroom :P).

Your tank looks great!

Thanks guys, it's good to get something working well after all the flooding. Unfortunately I am having trouble with the check valve. It'll be a pain if I have to get a new check valve after all that.

Couple update pics:

DSC_00055.JPG

DSC_00571.JPG

DSC_00116.JPG

DSC_00173.JPG

First good shot of my sand sifting cucumber doing its thing

DSC_00422.JPG

Strange bedfellows. My new pipefish likes to rub up on my other fish. My tang (a temorary addition saved from certain death in another tank, I know my tanks is too small, it's going to a local reefer (Jimmi thing) as soon as his tank is ready) hangs out in a little cave when it gets late and the pipefish always goes in when the tang is there.

DSC_00068.JPG

Gorgeous pipefish!

I so far havent flooded the halls in my dorm (granted, RO/DI + bathroom did equal a few floods, but that was the bathroom :P).

Your tank looks great!

Thanks, where do you go to school? I am dreading having to move the tank at the end of the semester. It's not the funnest part of my year. Finals and tank move.

that starfish you found looks like the kind that eats zoas... i'd remove it if I were you.

how is your return constantly coming off? If I were you I wouldn't have even setup the tank without the check valves in place... =/

looks good though =) keep it up!

Archived