ReefCleaners.org

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

I've noticed that with an open top tank fish jump out at night when all the lights are off. If you keep your moon lights on all night they might not jump out, depending on the fish. But if it's a fish that's prone to jump, chances are they still will jump. However, if the fish isn't known to jump, they hopefully won't.

I had a high fin goby for over 4 months, and one night when I forgot to turn on my moon lights, my goby went carpet surfing. Found him in the morning.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DewDropPony
Thanks to everyone for the interest! I am glad that I am not the only one who's stoked for this tank. I am running off two hours of sleep after the longest day I've had in weeks. I was in neurobiology lab today and almost fell asleep on my brain slices. This might not be the most coherent entry ever...

Total aquarium volume in dorm room: 20g+30g+24g+40g=114g. That's too much, gona take down the Finnex ASAP. So last night I couldn't sleep and took the microbiology test on two hours of sleep after zero studying due to this new tank. I got get myself out of this hobby.

I would just like to know, how in the hell you are getting away with many gallons in a dorm room? I had only one tank in my dorm, a 29gal, and when they came through for inspections I still had to have a meeting with the hall director about it. Luckily he was a nice guy. I was only supposed to have a max of 20gal. I was 9 over the limit, but he let me keep it. He said that rule was just keep people from bringing in the "big tanks." 55 he was referring to.

But no doubt of that tank had been bigger it would has had to been taken out. I'm just glad I'm not in a dorm anymore and have to deal with all those restrictions. Pain in the ass!

BKtomodachi

Hi Hoobahans, your tank looks great! One of my best friends is a sophomore at Whitman!

Here I am all worried about setting up a 15 gallon next year and you have a 40 z-edge! I think its reassuring to say the least.

Is this your last semester? What will happen to the tank?

• 2 weeks later...

dewdroppenny,

as a matter of fact i am an ra here on campus...so i guess that gets me out of any restrictions. works for me.

BKtomodachi,

No kidding? If you don't mind me asking, who is it? It would be pretty funny if I knew them.

Tank update. I cleaned the tank for for first time in two months! That's sad and ridiculous but it's been a bad semester. I have the first week off (more or less) in more than a month. The tank really needed it but it looks good now. I think the coraline was an inch think on every side of the tank, disgusting. Hopefully I will get a few pics up within the week or two. And if not I am going to be working here in Walla Walla all summer with a grant so I will definitely have time then.

• 3 weeks later...

does your zero edge scratch easily? Especially when you have to scrape coralline algae growth off the walls? I am afraid of getting a zeroedge 1.) cost 2.) acrylic might scratch Do you have issues with scratching?

does your zero edge scratch easily? Especially when you have to scrape coralline algae growth off the walls? I am afraid of getting a zeroedge 1.) cost 2.) acrylic might scratch Do you have issues with scratching?

There's a two-sided answer to that question. For the first few months I had the tank it did scratch easily, which was due to my using an "acrylic-safe" kent proscraper blade. However, I switched to an "aquamop" and never get scratches any more. As for the coralline, as long as I remove all the diatoms first I can usually gently scrub the corralline off without scratching the acrylic. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh man, I am getting so bad at this. I have been focusing on the multiple aquariums/terrariums that I am caring for over the summer at my school. To be honest the tank looks terrible and I am having trouble with my sps. I think that I will be breaking down the tank by christmas break...so when that happens I will let everyone know and I will try to unload as much of the livestock as I can.

Oh man, I am getting so bad at this. I have been focusing on the multiple aquariums/terrariums that I am caring for over the summer at my school. To be honest the tank looks terrible and I am having trouble with my sps. I think that I will be breaking down the tank by christmas break...so when that happens I will let everyone know and I will try to unload as much of the livestock as I can.

Sorry to hear that hoob :(

• 3 months later...

OK--so the day has come. I need to give away all of my coral.

First, please do not send me pms asking me to ship.

I am absolutely swamped with school right now, my skimmer broke and I cannot afford a new one and I have to move to a new house in three weeks that cannot accommodate the aquarium. I need to give all of the livestock away ASAP and with minimal time commitment from my side. I am sorry but I simply cannot ship anything.

I live in Walla Walla, Washington and the tank is at my dorm on campus. I will post dates that I am going to be available to let people in to take stuff. These will be the only times that I can do this.

This Thursday the 4th from 7 until 10 pm and Saturday the 6th from 2 to 6 pm EVERYTHING will be up for grabs. As you can see I have some really nice stuff although there is an ALGAE problem. I repeat, I have a lot of algae growing in the tank right now and apologize for that but I don't have the time to take care of it.

This is hard for me to do as I have invested a lot of time and money into this tank. I love the hobby and have always provided the best care I could to my livestock. Sadly, I can no longer do so and I must give them to people who are able to provide for them.

PLEASE, I only want people who have established tanks to take coral and please, only take what you know how to care for!

Sorry to those who are not local, but I can only do so much right now.

Damn bro, that sucks!!!

Seriously considering making the 5 hour drive... Man, wish I was on your side of the mountains. :angry:

I don't suppose you have a list of livestock?

Message sent...

Sorry to hear ya tore down hoob. Wish you'd ship, but I know how school can be, I'm a freshman in Highschool and between homework and my tank I have no time on weekdays. I'm lucky if I get to go fishing on the weekend since my dad is so busy since Office Depot is moving their headquarters so he has to pack up his office and move it. Luckily it's just a few miles away from the old one so him and I don't have to move all four of or aquariums!

Hmmm, I am going to Humboldt State which would require one hell of a drive, BUT there are a lot of amazing steelhead rivers along the way. Let me see where I am at the end of the semester and I may just do it.

Hoob....PLEASE let the person who gets the Pink Wagon Wheels know about how special they are (at least to me)....The ones you sent me are just hanging on....dunno what is happening...some of my zoas grow like weeds and others (including those) just sit there...

Sorry to hear you are splitting it up and I'm even more saddened that I cannot get to WallaWalla for some of the good stuff....

Mitch

• 3 years later...

Archived