Pod Your Reef

Be Gentle Its My First Time

phases

Went in to move one rock and ended up rescaping the whole tank. I think the new way is better. More room for frags and its much more stable. GSP has acclimated nicely. Only problem is with the new set up its not as iscolated as before I"ll just have to see how it goes.

FTS

ftssept20.jpg

GSP

GSPout.jpg

Macros

GSPmacro.jpg

astreamacro.jpg

it's looking good, great start! i love the color on the GSP...has more of a yellow color, really cool! where'd you pick it up?

The colour is not quite true to life. I can't find an accurate white balance and using a custom WB was no better. They are a bit yellow but more lime green and after a couple of days the metallic is coming out. I'll try to get some better pictures. Those were just quickies. I picked them up at Oakville Reef Gallery.

The colour is not quite true to life. I can't find an accurate white balance and using a custom WB was no better. They are a bit yellow but more lime green and after a couple of days the metallic is coming out. I'll try to get some better pictures. Those were just quickies. I picked them up at Oakville Reef Gallery.

Hiya! I plan on checking out OAG in a couple of weeks for some corals. Do they have more of those GSP's and how much are they?

Hiya! I plan on checking out OAG in a couple of weeks for some corals. Do they have more of those GSP's and how much are they?

They had a few more larger ones 3-5". I didn't see anymore like mine. Mine is 1 1/2" and cost me 20 bucks.

nice. i'll def have to check them out for sure. thanks!

Just to clarify the acan wasn't from ORG. It is from andrewkw so if your interested in acans like it send him a pm.

Just to clarify the acan wasn't from ORG. It is from andrewkw so if your interested in acans like it send him a pm.

You won't find any aussie corals at ORG. They had duncans once but got them from the US not directly from AUS...

New Frags are doing well. The rainbow paly already has two new polyps and two more buds. It seems all of a sudden my tank has been overrun with pods. Its hard to see through the glass in some places. Whats the best way to contol their numbers? There are just too many.

First, tank looks great. Good job on your first time around.

My only concern is that you started it on September 8th. It's only been running for 23 days now and you're starting to add livestock. Be careful, this stage in your tank's life is crucial and from your pics for first algae bloom is right around the corner. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank for at least a month. Don't forget that after the initial nitrogen cycle our tanks go through several more cycles long before they can even be considered as "mature."

BTW, do you do any weight training to get your toes into shape like that or stick just to cardio?

First, tank looks great. Good job on your first time around.

My only concern is that you started it on September 8th. It's only been running for 23 days now and you're starting to add livestock. Be careful, this stage in your tank's life is crucial and from your pics for first algae bloom is right around the corner. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank for at least a month. Don't forget that after the initial nitrogen cycle our tanks go through several more cycles long before they can even be considered as "mature."

BTW, do you do any weight training to get your toes into shape like that or stick just to cardio?

Yeah there will be no more additions for a while. I added the GSP because it thrives off the nutrients in the water (and it is thriving) and the other stuff was just to see how it responds to the parameters of the tank. On the bright side the rock was precured so that has speeded things up a little. As for the toes I can lift an encyclopedia.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while. I have been too busy painting/flooring my room. It is finally done and the tank is back where it belongs. I am planning on adding more frags soon as the tank has had 6 weeks to mature. All current frags are doing well .The rainbow paly has gone from one to five polyps and the acan is expanding bigger than ever. I also fragged the metallic gsp as it was growing so fast and have two frags for sale or trade (one 3/4" and one 1 1/2"). Local pick-up only I'm afraid. Here are some updated pics.

FTS

ftsoct22.jpg

Metallic GSP frags. The picture doesn't do these justice. They are irridescent metallic green.

gspfrag1.jpg

gspfrag2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got some new frags and decided it was time for an update. I picked up a bunch of frags from andrewkw. In fact, everything except the gsp is from his frag tank.

Protopalythoa

protopalythoa.jpg

Pink and purple acan

pinkacan.jpg

Red acan

redacan.jpg

Rasta zoas

rastas.jpg

Multi morph zoa

multimorph.jpg

FTS

FTS.jpg

As you can see the gsp is going nuts I already have 5 frags in two months! The coralline is finally starting to take hold. Its coming along

• 3 weeks later...

This tank has met its end. Both my astreas mysteriously died and my ammonia went throught the roof. So this tank has now become part of my 10 gal prop that is finally up and running.

This tank has met its end. Both my astreas mysteriously died and my ammonia went throught the roof. So this tank has now become part of my 10 gal prop that is finally up and running.

hmmm

Nitrate?

Something must have died to cause the ammonia to spike, this isn't something that normally happens in an established aquarium.

hmmm

Nitrate?

Something must have died to cause the ammonia to spike, this isn't something that normally happens in an established aquarium.

I think the astreas died and that caused the ammonia spike. Both died out of view so I didn't notice for a couple of days. BTW hows the new stuff from RR.

Sorry about the tank!

I suppose that's why I count all my snails every day. Kind of crazy, but what else is there to do?....

:) just kidding.

Archived