inTank Media Baskets

Yardboy's Jetties Nano

yardboy

bhskicker18
Consider the source. If they were easy, why was he fishing under the bridge, which is essentially in the bay. :P

Nothing's at the jetties, as the rocks are protection and as soon as a fish is hooked he runs for the rocks. Lots of fish lost that way. But then sometimes when everything's right it is easy. Sharks, mackerel, jacks, grouper, etc.

Florence Alabama, pretty town, at least for someone visiting. Quite different from here.

Funny Story, I saw that on Panhandle Pier Fishing someone had a video from her 30 gallon tank. I sent her a link to this thread so she could view it. Funny thing was, I just noticed I posted on this thread in 2010 and havent been back since haha. What groupers are hanging out near the jetties? I was going to go last year but decided to hit up the county pier instead. You have family in Florence? Pretty town, I like it. Grandfather works for Rick Hendrick (Nascar owner, also owns car dealerships and other car related businesses) and GM, and is considering moving to PCB because he does most of his business in the area. If he does I will be down all the time.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember quite what the context of that quote is, because there are fish at the jetties, they're just hard to catch! Gag are usually plentiful, and whatever's running in or out of the bay can be found there. Mackerel have been plentiful lately.

Wow! a day of collecting sounds fun!! :)

Rog...I forgot to ask, do you see a difference with the LED's and the gorgonians? I was thinking of adding a small one in my contest pico.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this Maria; I've not noticed any problems with gorgonians under the LED's. If anything they grow better.

It's pretty nice looking i have just started a 20 gallon a few months ago and i just went to ponce inlet yesterday to get some more livestock I am just hoping that my tank will look as good as yours does in a year or so. :)

• 2 months later...
Sorry I missed this Maria; I've not noticed any problems with gorgonians under the LED's. If anything they grow better.

I'm in Tally and your tank has inspired me to start up a quasi-Florida biotope. I say quasi because I want the centerpiece to be a colony of yellow head jawfish. But the rest is going to be macros, gorgonians and maybe some ricordeas and anemones from Florida waters. Again, not a true biotope because I'll be mixing Gulf creatures with key creatures and from several different ecologies. But who besides you and a handful of biologists will know that? I was wondering if you knew a good source for rock flower anemones because if you get the right ones they are as colorful as maxi minis. But the few I've seen for sale are pretty dull.

Thanks, I'm glad I could encourage you. Since the Keys are in Florida, having a Florida biotope would be wide open. There are no shortage of gorgonians on the Gulf side of the Keys, pretty much what's on the Atlantic side, for that matter. I don't get too precise. I began to collect zoanthids that weren't from the Caribbean for my jetties nano too. After I began collecting in the Keys I began to stretch the definition of the tank! Some great places to get stuff"

Sea Life, Inc, in Tavernier

The guy I collect with in the Keys.

A vendor on Nano-Reef who has nice flower anemones

Fishing license for limited collecting, or go with a commercial collector for a price (but no more than buying from a dealer, plus makes for a great vacation.

Thanks, I'm glad I could encourage you. Since the Keys are in Florida, having a Florida biotope would be wide open. There are no shortage of gorgonians on the Gulf side of the Keys, pretty much what's on the Atlantic side, for that matter. I don't get too precise. I began to collect zoanthids that weren't from the Caribbean for my jetties nano too. After I began collecting in the Keys I began to stretch the definition of the tank! Some great places to get stuff"

Sea Life, Inc, in Tavernier

The guy I collect with in the Keys.

A vendor on Nano-Reef who has nice flower anemones

Thanks for the links!

At the moment I've got a heavily modded Biocube 29 with all kinds of neat corals (acros, montis (encrusting, caps and branching), plates, Fiji yellow leather, blastos, micromussa, acans, frogspawn, pipe organs, plus shrooms and z&ps along the bottom. It's got a silver mono which will have to find a new home soon as he's getting too big (I knew this day would come but I got attached to him after he helped cycle the tank), a mystery wrasse, a bicolor blenny and a flame angel. I've got two 5 gallon Chis one a planted tank with cardinal tetras and red crystal shrimp and one with a mini reef (ricordeas and 2 maxi minis along the ground with z&ps midstrata and micromussa, montis, and blastos at the top) and two cleaner gobies (a yellowline and a sharknose) and 2 barnacle blennies plus 4 sexy shrimps and a porcelain crab. I'm in the process of getting a 6 gallon fluval edge up and running to be a species tank with a yasha goby and a red tiger pistol shrimp. As soon as the 6 is up, I'm going map out the jawfish/Florida tank.

Wow! What a collection. Now I understand your username!

I particularly enjoy watching symbiotic relationships. I've scaled back my tanks to just a single 200g shallow cube. (yes, not really a cube, being 48"X48"X20") inwall with two viewing sides. In the tank room is the side with my former jetties/caribbean tanks, the gorgonians, zoanthids, ricordias, and various anemones. The focus is a curlycue anemone with resident shrimps. Fascinating to watch. The mated pair of neon gobies chose to set up their cleaning station on this side too, where they clean most everybody, from the Spanish hogfish and doctor tang to the pink skunks in their RBTA. There's also a pair of ossie's in a frogspawn (go figure when there are three BTA's unoccupied) There's a tiger pistol shrimp (10 yrs old!) with his second partner, a yellow watchman who reside in the staghorn thicket.

Good luck with your jawfish setup. There are so many really cool creatures from the Caribbean that are beautiful, easy to keep and don't have to be brought from halfway around the world. How about some links to your tank build/presentations?

• 2 weeks later...

"Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season" as the song says, Maria. We spent yesterday "battening down the hatches" at home and the boat. Not too worried, though Debbie doesn't seem to want to go away, just spinning in place right now Ruining a lot of folks summer vacations; double red flags all along the panhandle.

The tank is doing well, everyone seems happy. Not so many photos yet, life is getting more hectic which is why I got rid of all my fragging setups,

Fish dig cleaning stations. It must be translatable in any fish language, Pacific or Caribbean

yellowtanggettingcleaned.jpg

pinkskunkgettingcleaned.jpg

doctorgettingcleaned.jpg

redandgreenzoanthids.jpg

052012badj.jpg

FTS is about two months ago, it's growing in well. The staghorn thicket on the right emulates a scene I've seen while diving, where mandarins and goby/shrimp pairs like to live. My YWG/tiger shrimp pair moved right in within a day of introduction.

I have a removable background in the tank room so we can view without distractions in the living room, but photos must be done at night to eliminate stray light, thus my excuse for so few photos.

So sorry to hear of the problems with your contest tank Maria. For me too it's about saving the livestock if I can, hope they all made it. There will be other contests, and hopefully one that allows for cycling!

WOW!!!!!! It looks fantastic! I love the cleaner wrasse :D we need more info on the set up sir :P

edit- it hasn't stopped raining here...I have a moat around my house :(

Those are actually neon gobies,of which there are a pair I caught last year in Tavernier Keys. While waiting in a frag tank for the cube build they decided to spawn on a powerhead, but I Was totally unprepared for the event and lost them to predation.

Gobyspawn3032912.jpg

For info on the setup....... well, one day a guy came by the house and dropped off an order of glass I'd made to the local shop, with starphire for the front viewing pane.

glassstacked.jpg

I used GARF's tank building calculator to get the right measurements for the glass, You can sure tell the difference between starphire and the regular glass.

pickouttheStarphire.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did Yardboy disappear again? Need an update. Please :D

I found him locally lol He's really active on the Panhandle Reefers forums. I'll try to remind to venture back over here at the next meeting.

• 2 months later...

apparently no wandering has happened T_T I loved reading this thread. Love the pipefish and the little anemone that looked like a red flower. sorry about the losses, too. I hope you come back and update one of these days!

• 3 months later...
BigBlueReef
your aquascape is one of the best looking and most natural one that i have seen. dont change it.. and welcome back. cant wait to come back for more pictures :)

+1

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived