Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yardboy's Jetties Nano

yardboy

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Tyty. That's cool that you found one. What sort of habitat did you find it in?

I've labelled mine an Paranthus rapiformis or onion anemone, for lack of anything else conclusive.

John's thinking it's a Bunodosoma cavernata or American Warty Anemone.

I found it under a rocky overhang in just a few feet of water. Here's a pic:

IMG_3328.jpg

Weeber ID'd it as a sunburst anemone, not sure though.

weirdtop360

Yardboy...I'm envious.

I just read through all 19 pages of this thread, and I'm absolutely in love with your tank.

The 10 gallon was wonderful. It's big brother is just as awesome.

Keep up the pictures please! :D

Thank you very much! The tank has been doing well, occupying a central place in my tank room, with topoff, feeding and water changes. I haven't had the camera out in quite a while, but with your prompting I'll remedy that oversight. Thanks again.

weirdtop360
Thank you very much! The tank has been doing well, occupying a central place in my tank room, with topoff, feeding and water changes. I haven't had the camera out in quite a while, but with your prompting I'll remedy that oversight. Thanks again.

You're welcome!

I'm looking forward to an update.

Looking forward to an update here as well, I've always enjoyed this tank. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing an update on your LED powered 10g that was previously in the contest too, while you're at it. ;)

• 1 month later...
Looking forward to an update here as well, I've always enjoyed this tank. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing an update on your LED powered 10g that was previously in the contest too, while you're at it. ;)

+10000

• 4 weeks later...
bhskicker18

Nice tank. I was down in PCB last week. I was talking to a local one day when I was fishing under the Hathaway Bridge and he said that the big 40" Bull Reds are easily caught off the end of the Jetties, and Jack Crevail too. Do you know if thats true?

Consider the source. If they were easy, why was he fishing under the bridge, which is essentially in the bay. :P

Nothing's at the jetties, as the rocks are protection and as soon as a fish is hooked he runs for the rocks. Lots of fish lost that way. But then sometimes when everything's right it is easy. Sharks, mackerel, jacks, grouper, etc.

Florence Alabama, pretty town, at least for someone visiting. Quite different from here.

johnmaloney

you got to keep their head up. Point that pole straight up in the air yardboy, and don't let em catch you sleeping. :) Fish lost in the rocks...shame... :) Good call though on the fishing story... "Oh yeah buddy, there is a great spot 3 miles away from where I am, you should leave and check it out. " lol....

Crevalle jacks huh? I know a good bonita spot too if you are interested....lol. :)

I don't doubt that about them though, I always see crevalle jacks come in through the inlets in large numbers during a rising tide. Throw a sinking lure into the bait piles on a rising tide at night in the Jupiter Inlet and you can't believe how fast you will pull in jacks. Fun fish, I was just busting your chops up there^.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Greetings!

Possibly in the running for longest delay before an update?

Lots of "stuff" has happened since I posted in this thread last; including

spawning urchins

adjusted.jpg

frogfish adventures

anglerfromtheBay.jpg

mini-maxi anemones

mini-maxi.jpg

and collecting in the Keys

TomontheProwl.jpg

I ran for president of the Florida Panhandle Reefkeeper's Society, the local reef club, and won thanks to my campaign manager Jackson, Aussie Shepard Extraordinaire

VoteforJackcopy.jpg

I discovered that being president means your main job is to cook at the jetties barbeques!

Smokin.jpg

And realized that the campaign manager gets all the perks with none of the headaches

Heythatsmychair.jpg

It's not difficult to call a meeting and have people with collection buckets show up!

FirstWaveofSnorkelers.jpg

Must be a serious reefer when you hand out business cards!

FPRSbusinesscardgraphiccopy.jpg

Of course the 20L jetties nano outgrew itself, and was moved to a 40L in a peninsular arrangement.

FTS062310.jpg

The definition expanded to a "Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean" tank, but even that's more or less gone out the window. Old friends are present, grown up, fragged and distributed to other tanks. Plus new friends, all growing happily in a bigger tank.

Here's a crazy fts, when I half decided to convert to LED's. Or maybe not half decided, but only had half the money to make the transition. I've since completely converted, after a fun DIY construction, heavily leaning on friends at the local club, and longer term friends from Nano-reef like Evil!

Anyway, here's "Frankenlights, a half LED/ half 175W cheap chinese MH bulb"!

FTS112910Frankenlights.jpg

yay update! collecting in the keys looks glorious. :D I'm applying for a research internship in Sarasota this summer, maybe I'll get to do something similar. :)

• 1 year later...

WOW! Now that's a long running thread!

The 40L is still going strong, with many of the old club still hanging in there. And true to form, I'm constructing a new tank (48"X48"X20"), the "last" one that will conglomerate everything I've got and had for so long. As I mentioned to lljdma06 (not on a first name basis yet) I'll be putting my collection of anemones and symbionts in it, and most everything else I 've gotten that I really love and that lives for me over the years.

The new tank would have been finished a week ago but I drilled the overflow holes in the wrong piece of glass!!!!!! New piece was supposed to be here today, but the Presidents had other ideas. Tomorrow,,,,,,,,

I'll try and post another shot of the 40L. It's happy but eager for more space so I don't have to frag stuff so often.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I love this place, even if I have been more on the local club scene for awhile. Taking care of a website forum is a lot of work. Hug Chris Marks if you ever see him.

I have no idea who Chris Marks is, but if I ever meet him, and he's cute, I'll give em a hug. ;)

I think this tank is the most unusual I've ever seen. Unique in a beautiful way. Don't let this thread die, just keep posting pics, please.

I have no idea who Chris Marks is, but if I ever meet him, and he's cute, I'll give em a hug. ;)

I think this tank is the most unusual I've ever seen. Unique in a beautiful way. Don't let this thread die, just keep posting pics, please.

Thanks so much.

Chris Marks is the Administrator (Owner?) of this site! It was a reference to how hard it is to maintain a website! He's about 27, so maybe he'e cute?!

He lives! :o

:lol:

Nice to hear from you YB!

Thanks Guys! I looked at my Friends list last night and was pleasantly surprised to see that most of them are still active! I know how to pick my friends!

It's funny, I tell my club friends that the reason I became active in the local club is because frag swaps are easier and cheaper; No shipping!

So who wants to go collecting in the Keys this spring. My best friends wife gets out of class at the first of May, then we're heading down there. Water will be warm. Set up a new tank to cycle before you leave, bring all your goodies back with you for the tank!

Thanks so much.

Chris Marks is the Administrator (Owner?) of this site! It was a reference to how hard it is to maintain a website! He's about 27, so maybe he'e cute?!

Shhhhh, don't tell em I didn't know it was him! And I really want pics! please.....

Archived