Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yardboy's Jetties Nano

yardboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cool! looks like star coral. what type is that? (my coral game is weak at best)

Step Back.

I just checked out of the Holiday Inn, and I had Veron's Corals of the World with me last night, so I probably think I'm a freaking coral genius. :P:D

After close personal observation and a thorough review of the literature, (man, I love that line. Imagine all the r's rolled) I have come to the opinion that it is a Stephanocoenia intersepta, because when I poke it it blushes. :blush:

Any dissenting opinions will be considered, because I used to think the one I have that looks just like it was a Siderastrea radians, but now realize it's probably not.

When I look at it through just my right eye I think they are the same, but when I look with just the left, they look different. The second colony is a bit bleached, but is darkening up somewhat as it acclimates to it's new tank. I might be able to tell after it grows in some. The corralites look a bit more elongated on the second colony, but that wouldn't necessarily mean much as the Stephanocoenia's aren't all perfectly round either.

If it's anything else, I'd say it's Siderastrea radians

• 3 weeks later...
johnmaloney

i have had squareish Stephanocoenias before, but then again who hasn't right? :)

congrats on POTM, that was funny, liked seeing something without a fish in it win too.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be willing to sell me one of these red anemones and ship it?

It's been awhile since I posted pics of my jetties nano. I've done a few things to it, changed from a standard bulkhead overflow to a cassette skimmer

bulkheadoverflow.jpg

cassetteoverflow.jpg

I did this while the tank was running. I was a bit afraid of the curing process of silicone messing up the water chemistry, but no change in pH. I drip kalk continuously so it likey just converted the acid to acetate

While the tank isn't purely a jetties tank any more, I still have plenty of things that are found there. This years seems to be the year for these small red flower anemones, and they are quite hardy. I've also gotten pretty good at finding red mini-brittle stars, though they quickly disappear into the crevices of the tank.

Here's a shot of a pink colt coral and one of the more accessible photographically red anemones.

Thanks for looking.

coltandredanemone.jpg

PLEASE!!!! I have a tank full of just different anemones!!

They've never gotten any bigger than what they were when I got them. About the size of a quarter.

The jetties nano is still alive and kicking, doing very well. I'll post fts later, but I was doing a waterchange yesterday and noticed on the back side of a colony of Favia favum a green lump. Assumed it was a bubble, though I'd not seen any here and found a rather interesting variation of bubble. I've seen single cells, clusters of cells, but not a cluster that makes a large bubble. Assuming its a different species.

Bubblealgaetop.jpg

Bubblealgaebottom.jpg

smokey_the_bear

That's a sweet tank, I've alwys wanted to do a gulf biotope myself but I'm not at the coast often enough. So you've collected all that?

johnmaloney

i think he must have cheated on some of them. a few of those zoas look a little more exotic than Pensacola. :P email later yardboy

that algae is Dictyosphaeria cavernosa or a closely related species probably. Funny texture huh?

Dictyosphaeria cavernosa - :happydance::happydance: - I wonder if I'm even pronunciating it right in my head. Quite odd though. Reminds me of high school biology and the Volvox algae, or maybe not! Thanks for the id John. So is it related to Valonia?

Yea, most of the zoanthids are way out of the league of Panama City. But because of the possibilitiy of wayward currents............. and others were or could have been collected by me when I went to the Keys, plus stuff I could have collected if it'd been legal but I resorted to buying aquacultured rock with it on there, let's just say I can rationalize quite a bit! Still, my conscience is clean if the state folks decide to come by.

...if the state folks decide to come by.

Hahaha!

"Wutcher name, boy? And wutcha got in that there tank, huh boy?"

Tank looks great

I finally found one of these anemones yesterday

Thanks Tyty. That's cool that you found one. What sort of habitat did you find it in?

I've labelled mine an Paranthus rapiformis or onion anemone, for lack of anything else conclusive.

John's thinking it's a Bunodosoma cavernata or American Warty Anemone.

johnmaloney
Dictyosphaeria cavernosa - :happydance::happydance: - I wonder if I'm even pronunciating it right in my head. Quite odd though. Reminds me of high school biology and the Volvox algae, or maybe not! Thanks for the id John. So is it related to Valonia?

it reminds me of those party decoration balls that crumble up when you press on them. somewhat related...

the one in tyty's quote? maybe we should get another pic of the front, and some more tank shots just to be sure. better safe than sorry. :)

Archived