Pod Your Reef

Kinetic 82g

kinetic

Do you purposefully over expose pictures when you take them or is everything done in post?

Sometimes both. I really don't spend any time worrying about exposure in terms of over or under, just whatever looks best I guess. Sometimes I do it by accident on the camera, but I shoot RAW so I can tweak it like crazy later in post processing.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Alive and well. Updated pictures of the clowns:

5184110850_9812a6e933.jpg

ocean wonder by -kinetic, on Flickr

Some photos of the bartlett anthias:

5184110834_54784c741f.jpg

Fish Duhn by -kinetic, on Flickr

5183513385_de97c7c013.jpg

_DSC7938 by -kinetic, on Flickr

Excuse all the dots in the water. I just did some super heavy maintenance, so a bunch of crap is kicking up everywhere.

No big changes, all my fish are still alive and growing. I may be giving away all my chromis, and donating my black photons (news on where they're going comes later).

I'm thinking of adding a few anthias to replace the chromis and maybe a pair of helfrichi (gonna brave the open top)... or just leave the tank with just a bellus and two anthias with a scattering of those small gobies I got from the Caribbean.

FTS next week ;)

Thanks guys. Actually my corals were all given away. I was about to move so I started taking all the corals out and giving them out before the move. The move actually didn't happen so my tank is without corals! I'm in this limbo state of trying to finish up a house remodel that I'm moving into. It's taking forever, so nothing yet.

I'm thinking of just restocking soon in the meantime since I'm bored with just fish. I do have the clam and one acro left.

K two things:

First, really exciting to see, my clownfish laid their first eggs! i've never had a pair lay eggs before. This is awesome. These are my black photon's eggs:

5205563439_c63cd17e4e.jpg

_DSC8951 by artchang, on Flickr

Here's a link to the video:

http://flickr.com/gp/kinetic/12QhTt

Second, I think I got a bad sunburn on my upper lip from the halides. Is this normal? I was only under there for like 5 minutes. The glass on my fixture is in place. It's a DE so it requires the tempered glass, but I totally got burnt. I usually can't even get burned out in the sun without sunscreen (I do wear it when I go outside tho). The lighting is a giesemann infiniti, 2x250watt HQI 4x50watt T5.

Edited by kinetic

Hey man. Happy Thanksgiving!! I didn't realize that you gave away most of your coral...I recently did that with my 20h when I moved to m current rimless and although it was tough, it was nice giving them to reefers that i knew could care for all of them. It's also fun starting from scratch and trying to new combinations and species. Can't wait to see what you get.

Big congrats on the photons laying eggs. Thats amazing. I've seen mating behavior from my. Two clowns before but never seen eggs. Are you going to keep them or just let them be food :)

Never heard of getting a sunburn from a halide...pretty crazy. Seems odd that you would get that kind of UV burn when it has the glass shields in place. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Adam

Good to hear from you Adam.

The eggs have mostly become food now, there's a few more hanging in there, but I can't raise them right now. I may put in a piece of tile there and transfer them when they hatch to a local clownfish breeder.

I don't think I got a burn from the halides afterall. Not sure why it felt like it =/ I don't think I'll work on the tank under the halides again just in case. I'll make sure only the t5's or none of the lights are on.

I'm currently running my automatic water changer pumps and plumbing through some vinegar water solution. I think the problems I'm having might have to do with buildup of some kind.

• 1 year later...

It's been over a year since I've updated anything!

My tank is having a really messed up time. nothing is working out. I think it's all because of my auto water change... it doesn't really work. It's constantly changing salinity, changing the dynamics of the tank which makes the skimmer go crazy. So totally rethinking it.

I also moved into a new house... leaving my old tank at my parents house. I'm ready to take it over to the new place, so it's going to be quite a hassle.

I might cut back on fish, and just have a bellus and the black photon pair.

More soon as I plan the move.

It's been over a year since I've updated anything!

My tank is having a really messed up time. nothing is working out. I think it's all because of my auto water change... it doesn't really work. It's constantly changing salinity, changing the dynamics of the tank which makes the skimmer go crazy. So totally rethinking it.

I also moved into a new house... leaving my old tank at my parents house. I'm ready to take it over to the new place, so it's going to be quite a hassle.

I might cut back on fish, and just have a bellus and the black photon pair.

More soon as I plan the move.

Welcome back & thanks for the update.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

News:

- Ordered new ELOS Cabinet. The new version is 3" taller, apparently more solid, more water resistant, amongst other things. Will have bright matte white with white gloss doors, silver interior.

- Looking into replacing my Liter Meter III with a genesis systems RENEW for auto water changes. Also thinking of getting the STORM as well to replace the ELOS auto topoff so it works directly with my RODI. Less crap to deal with.

The reason for all my troubles really comes back to my Auto water exchange with the LM3. It's very inaccurate and hard to get just perfect. I like the Genesis one because it is made specifically for water changes.

The cabinet comes in late January, which is when I'll start setting up the system over at the new house slowly. I'll house all my critters in a 40G breeder in the meantime.

welcome back!

thank you =)

So a quick update on the plans, kind of boring probably but why not:

Instead of just a move of all the old stuff, I'm going to be doing a restart. New dry rock seeded with some "Real Reef" live rock from liveaquaria: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=3122

I'll let that cure for a few months just in case, and maintain the critters in a 40 gallon breeder until I'm sure it's cycled nicely. Nice and slow.

I'm only going to use about 30 lbs of rock for a minimalistic view.

Reason for the restart is, I found some bubble algae. BOO.

• 2 months later...

Just got my new ELOS cabinet from Jesse. This is the newest gen of stands, it's way heavier and much more solid. The doors are kind of a matte white, I think I'm going to repaint them a glossier white to match the rest of my furniture.

Here's my rough plan for the move (if you care to read):

- Cut 2x4's and crawl under the house to support the tank

- Crawl into the attic to make sure I can hang the lighting fixture

- Clean all my pumps and sump, move it (display tank will still run with pumps)

- Setup sump in the new cabinet

- Clean the main tank, pull rocks out, move fish into 40G breeder

- Move display tank, fill with a few gallons of old water, then fill with all new mix

- Add rocks from old tank

- Move RO/DI system

- Move the auto water exchange reservoir (brute 50g bin)

- Buy and setup Genesis Reef Renew PRO and Storm PRO systems

- Kick back and relax

I'm going mostly fishless, and will be dosing with coral food. I am traveling so much these days, I can't feed the fish and I can't depend on an auto feeder all the time. The only real animals will be the trochus snails, whatever gobies I can't get off the rocks, a few nassarius, my clam, and tuxedo urchin. After that I'll have to get my SPS back from the various places I've spread them out to... or just buy a nice healthy frag pack from someone =)

Namely going for pearlberry, hawkins echinata, silver dollar, and red planet. That's it! nice and simple.

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

sounds like you have everything planned out. cant wait to see how this turns out

one thing i would change it use as much the old water as possible. too much water change might upset the cycle/shock the corals

sounds like you have everything planned out. cant wait to see how this turns out

one thing i would change it use as much the old water as possible. too much water change might upset the cycle/shock the corals

thanks! yeah I'll try to use as much old water as i can, though a lot of my corals are either lost or given away at this point...

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys,

It's been a minute. I ended up scrapping the whole tank ideas, sold the stand, the tank, and everything else. I decided to get out of the hobby. Everything was donated and given away. After 5 years, I'm back. Downsized to keep things simple with a Red Sea Reefer 170.

I won't jinx it, but maybe soon I can upgrade to a Reefer 500 peninsula.