inTank Media Baskets

120 Gallon Monster...mutates into a 156 Gallon Beast!

eddie29

First, need to apologize because I'm aware that I've already asked this on my 58 gallon thread but I'm sure i'm going to get a larger response if I post here

Tank is 120 gallon AGA, 48 x 24 x 24. the stand is the Oceanic Metal Series (stainless steel tank), comes with overflow kit....price 600 plus the cost of driving 500 miles each way to get it. I'm sure I can offer a bit less to offset the cost of the gas. Would you guys do it? Yes I know, i've had the 58 for about 7 weeks but this is the stand that I love and from what my three lfs around town told me, its becoming harder and harder to get oceanic stuff in KC because the sole supplier in the area closed.

Thanks

UPDATE: Got sent it to me in one of his distrubtion trunks for the same price as he orginally had it listed for.

UPDATE 2: Sold the 120 on Wed, and I got mysefl a starphire 156 from Oceanic (week of 12/24)....someone stop me!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crazinezz978

look on craigslist. 600 is too much if u ask me, especially also a 1000 mile drive, definetely not worth it. Thats a 100 dollar drive in gas. look on craigslist for a used tank if you dont mind. I go a 150g (60x24x24 with stand/canopy/top/crappy lighting and it was drilled) for 320. Good deals always come around there. Maybe even try ebay, not too sure bout that though.

Kellie in CA

That price is very cheap for that brand new set-up. It all depends if you want to do the driving. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But then again, I drive out to Vegas all the time and that is a 4 hour drive and it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah the drive accoring to yahoo is 7 hours or 489 miles which means honesty its about a 6 hour drive, probably longer on the way back. I'm currently an unemployed graduate waiting for his job to start next month so its not like I'm terribly busy. Okay one ya for good deal and one for nay for not a good deal

Man you move fast. You got it plumbed already? Or are you only filling it up partially? With those slots in the middle of the overflows, can you fill it up very far? Sorry for all the questions. I'm waiting for the LFS to deliver mine. Should be any minute now.

I only have it partially plumbed. Yeah I double checked about the overflows and as long as you don't get to the top your good. I don't have an RO unit so unfortunately is the way I'm stuck doing it, a few dallons at a time. I had no idea that 20 gallons of water would barely make a dent. I have it about 1/3 filled now and thats after 2 trips.....needless to say first thing I did was purchase an RO off ebay this morning.

suggestions on skimmers anyone?

I'm in the middle of the design plans for the sump and would like to insure that my skimmer area is large enough to fit.

I had been thinking an ATI Bubblemaster 250, anyone else want to suggest something. I'd like to keep it under $600 new (not against used just basing it off new prices it easier then the flactuating used market prices)

Thanks

Sump%20(final...I%20swear%20#1).jpg

Sump%20(final...I%20swear%20#2).jpg

What do you guys think? THe circle is suppose to be my calcium reactor and my fuge is going to use black acrylic. I learned before that wiht clear that it tends to flood the light everywhere

Here are the stock plans

1 foxface lo

2 tomato clowns

1 yellow tang

1 naso tang

1 Australian Copperband Butterfly

5 Dispar Anthias

3 Tongan Anthias (still searching)

1 hi-fin goby

1 pistol shrimp

2 cleaner shrimp (bought)

15 more snails and 10 more crabs (bought)

1 sandshifting stars

2 emerald crab

equipment plans:

A.S.D Skimmer

40 gallon custom sump

Eheim 1262 for return pump

vortech pump with battery backup

4 x 6045 Tunze Nano (got two, ordering two more)

Sunlight Systems Tek Limited Edition T5 Fixture (6 x 54) (bought)

Koralin Calcium Reactor

Reefkeeper 2 (already had)

UPS backup

Windows XP computer for monitoring and webserver feature (bought)

thoughts are welcomed

Sandsifting stars decimate your sand bed, and once they run out of microfauna in the sandbed to eat, they starve to death. Plus, you'll almost never see them.

Where did you find the ATI powrmodule? I haven't seen those. Where should I look for a UPS back up? Is there something in particular I should be looking for?

ATI powermodules can only be had with reefgeek.com Call them up and ask for Greg, very nice guys. They can put you on the waiting list without any deposit, they told me 2-4 wait right now.

In regards to the UPS system you are going to want to find something with a Sin wave for output. If i don't go with a Vortech pump thats what 'll probably end up doing but I'd like to be able to hide everything inside the stand and its starting to look really crowded in there without the system in there

seems like too many tangs for a 120g.

look into getting a bigger skimmer.

sandsifting stars are no good (but this has been mentioned already).

crabs will eat all of your snails, and you don't have enough snails listed. try 1 every 5-10 gallons.

everything else sounds great!! be sure to update a lot with pics ;)

Tim

I just really really hate snails, for some reason they just don't seem to belong in a reef, I know stupid thought in my head and that there are probably thousands in a reef cleaning things up.

I bumped it up 5 snails....

Sump pics up in a minute

I thought the Deltec AP600 would be big enough, it says heavily stocked 135. Whats everyone else's suggestions?

sump%2040br3.jpg

DSCN1561.JPG

DSCN1564.JPG

DSCN1567.JPG

The design above is what I finally went with. I barely and I mean barely got that 40 breeder in there took some pushing but the stand lost. The design above is what I'm going with. It'll give me plenty of space if the Deltec AP600 isn't what I finally go with and it leaves me room for the calcium reactor. Same almost completly filled shots as well as the sump. The sump isn't done yet, i'm waiting for my pump to get here so that I insure fitment.

Thanks

some guy in Kansas City was selling some figi/tonga rock for 3 bucks a pound so today I went and plundered it a bit...came home with additional 20 lbs. That brings the total to around 60ish in the tank, and I'm about to order 100 lbs more from twopartsolutions.com and get some of their Eco Rock. Its dried up rock that came on shore that they resell, it'll be nice because with the drilling for the columns it'll be cleaner with them dry. Also, I went with a PM Bullit 2 skimmer, it'll be here on Thursday

I also added 15 turbos today, I probably should have done less because i hate turbos. I'll add the sand shifting star tomorrow as well as the last baffles of the sump

the live rock already there is partially from my old tank and the rest from another tank. The uncured stuff is in that brute trash can just curing....I figured another 2 weeks more and it should be good.

Is it a 120g tech tank by Oceanic, with the starphire glass or just the same dimensions with normal glass.

Are you talking about the tech tank at Old Orchard Aquarium. That thing is nice I want it so bad. Have to wait till I move.

Archived