Pod Your Reef

the_zoa_fungus_cure_project

er1c_the_reefer

SeeDemTails

Zoa pox and a number of other zoa diseases can be easily cured with Furan 2. I know many of you have heard about this before, but at this point and time I have cured enough sick zoas with it to say with 100% certainty, it works, if you catch it fast enough often with only one dip. You can also use it to dip new frags to make sure you dont introduce anything even if they are not sick. I am also 100% certain it is reef safe as far as a dip, I have never lost a zoa due to a furan dip.

1 furan 2 capsule to 1 cup of tank water, for 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
er1c_the_reefer

sorry for the lack of update guys, i've been busy.

for zoa pox, i'd definitely use furan 2. butfor fungus, i've actually lost a lot more zoas to furan dips than i've saved and ever since i ran out of furan and stopped, i've had less losses. maybe i'm not doing the dips right (which i doubt is the case: i follow the instructions over at zoaid, tried adjusting and halfing the dosage, etc.) or whatever, but it never worked for me for fungus. most likely we're having different types of infections susceptible to different treatments. however, i've also been fragging a lot less and letting things grow more, which also means less stress on zoas and palys. also, i've been differentiating strains which i frag: i've noticed some strains of zoas like to be in singular, some like to be in small clusters, and some in big colonies.

however, since i've started fragging again, i've started using prophylactic measures to prevent fungus and haven't had any losses for my last 4-5 fragging sessions, except for some palys that were already stressed from some weird huge strain of sundial-type snails when i got them from the LFS, and even then, they're not really dying. like caesar stated above, i starting using large doses of buffered vitamin C and kordon rid-fungus for the first 48 hours and regular dosing for a few days after that.

I figured it out, you ever buy a zoo colony and maybe 80% open the other 20% never open???

I bought a zoo colony some orange centered, they were really nice but I noticed about 20% of them on the left side of the rock only wouldnt open up so at first I was thinking "maybe they are growing or havent gotten used to the light" well 2 days later they still arent opening...

I got some tank water, and 10 drops of lugols iodine, mixed it up and brought my zoo colony into the bucket i kept them in place for 5 mins then i flipped them upside down and swooshed them around, set them back down for another 5 mins and agian swooshed them around after taking them out of the bucket i placed them in another bucket of tank water so i could rinse them off, i inspected the 1st bucket to see if I could find anything and to my suprise i saw maybe 10 bugs in which there were atleast 5 different species of, they ranged from nudibrachs to irritants like small worms and other different type of pods, my first reaction was "YES!! now this crap isnt in my tank let alone infesting my zoa's" I placed my zoo's back in my tank, I was going to do another dip but this time I was going to increase dosage and increase time in the bucket, but 3 days later all zoo's are open and they couldnt look happier.

If you buy some zoo's and notice they are not all opening this is a sign that there is something ####### them off, dont use freshwater although the FW dip will infact dislodge any parasite id suggest using tank water since its already PH'ed and Temp'ed it saves time and the Iodine will kill most if not ALL parasites/illness that your zoa's are showing, this is not a method to fix zoo-pox becuase I read you want to do furan 2 for that but this is for when your zoo's are not opening up, you pro's probably already knew this I thought id just do a quick write up on my success, thanks!!

SeeDemTails

Eric, the zoaid instructions are wrong. Using freshwater is a horrible idea. That may be what is killing the zoas. Tank water is much more effective as it doesnt stress the zoas. I am sure that furan 2 does not kill or harm zoas, even if they are not sick. I have dipped every type I can think of and never had any losses from the dip.

er1c_the_reefer

i've tried tank water too, as well as hyposalinity, in combo with magnesium dips, etc. i like to experiment, its just the type of person i am. i'll try furan 2 again when i get another fungal outbreak, but for the time being prophylactic measures are working in preventing them

BKtomodachi
Eric, the zoaid instructions are wrong. Using freshwater is a horrible idea. That may be what is killing the zoas. Tank water is much more effective as it doesnt stress the zoas. I am sure that furan 2 does not kill or harm zoas, even if they are not sick. I have dipped every type I can think of and never had any losses from the dip.

I've used simple FW dips w/lugols in the past with pretty good success, I don't really think they harm the zoos much. The most I would think of would be perhaps a small amount of cellular damage on the very outmost surface of the polyps.

SeeDemTails

I agree most healthy zoas can handle it, especially for predators, it should be the course of action, but some that are lets say weakend by disease, may be stressed much more by this.

• 4 months later...
Mine looked like this... =/

palys_bad.jpg

They close up and then this thick cyano consistancy like white mat infests itself all over them... NOTHING that I've tried saves them from death when this occurs. I've tried it all, BiFuran+ dips for 48 hours (not 48 hours straight though), SeaChem Reef Dip, and Kent's Tech-D.

I have the white mat on some of mine, so I guess I should kiss them good bye

• 1 month later...

Just use an exacto & cut off the affected polyps. I paint the edge where I cut with Sea Chem Reef Dip (an Iodine dip) & rinse after about 30 seconds.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Can I use a few drops of furan 2 in my pico itself. I realise it could have an effect on my bacteria in the tank but I do have rocks I could use to seed it from my 10 gallon.

Problem is, some sort of "thing" has been slowly going from colony to colony causing the zoas to close up. The furan 2 dip really works a charm. BUT now it has affected the colony on the primary rock structure. I cannot remove this.

So for 1 package of furan 2 in 1 cup of sea water. - how many drops could I add to my pico to perhaps treat the problem?

I would utilise carbon after a few hours

Can I use a few drops of furan 2 in my pico itself. I realise it could have an effect on my bacteria in the tank but I do have rocks I could use to seed it from my 10 gallon.

Problem is, some sort of "thing" has been slowly going from colony to colony causing the zoas to close up. The furan 2 dip really works a charm. BUT now it has affected the colony on the primary rock structure. I cannot remove this.

So for 1 package of furan 2 in 1 cup of sea water. - how many drops could I add to my pico to perhaps treat the problem?

I would utilise carbon after a few hours

Wow, old thread.

I'm one of those guys who will whisper "That might not be a good idea... I wouldn't do that" right as you are getting ready to light a very short fuse on a very large firework with a blowtorch.

Furan is a dip, not for treating the tank. IMO, you are getting ready to use a very large blowtorch on a very short fuse...I wouldn't do that...might not be a good idea...

Time to rescape a bit, do a good cleaning, rearrange that one coral that you don't like where you placed it, etc, etc.

If it is brown fungus it will kill your Zoa no question. It will suffocate it. Furan2 with a soft bristle toothbrush works wonders. I saved my favorite colony this way. Take it off the rock and do this otherwise it dies.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived