Pod Your Reef

My humble 5.5g

c est ma

After reading through this thread and seeing those pics - I for one am going to pay a lot more attention to what's sitting in the subtrate at my LFS. Thank you for taking the time to share the details Diane.. and thank your son for abandoning that tank in the right hands.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, my. Y'all are making me wish I'd done this long ago. Thanks SO much for all the nice remarks!

I see a purple polyped Gorgonian (I think). How is that going for you? I had a yellow one that lasted about 4 months but I could not keep it alive. I bought it thinking (because the LFS told me so) that it was photosynthetic and found out later that it was not.

Actually, it is a photosynthetic one: it's supposed to be Pterogorgia citrina, which LiveAquaria calls "Green Lace Gorgonian." So you probably no longer care to know how it's doing. But anyway, so far, so good. I knew that "gorg" and "dirty tank" were not a great combination, but I so wanted to try one...It does get encrusted with algae/diatoms, even though I put it where it's swaying in the current, but it's only shed once, right after I got it. I usually clean it off with my fingers when I do a water change, and in between my cuc is a big help. It may be photosynthetic but it loves Cyclopeeze, and I also add DT's from time to time. It has grown noticeably since I got it (May 5th of this year).

Nice tank. :bowdown:

I like the look a lot, that is how I want my mantis tank to look like.

What kind of filter is that you are running.

Well, all I know is that it's a Penguin "mini." I got it with a biowheel, which I didn't remove until some months ago. (Now all the talk on the ultimate-answer-to-nitrates thread (or whatever the heck it's called) has me less sure than ever about biowheels...) I do use the Penquin mini filter cartridges, which I change weekly...Like everything else I do, I have good intentions to switch to something cheaper and better--say, just filter floss, e.g.--but have yet to get around to it. I don't know, I kind of like the idea that the cartridge comes with a little carbon in it, and I think it probably stays fresh since I change it so often. The filter box itself is full of sponges and feather dusters.

--Diane

This tank is amazing! I love all the ricordeas you have and your GSP looks great :) Lol and I'm glad there are others that use pvc pipe for light stands. Great job!

OMG, your tanks are so nice, are rics one of your favorite corals?

As my eternally tactful daughter would say: "Duh!" :D

Yes, by far a favorite, and the tank is a result of a serendipitous combination of something I did love from the start that actually does very well for me! I'll have to put up before and after shots of the rics. Well, at least the before ones. (I haven't always had that same serendipity with other types of corals.)

I think a nice display of rics makes any tank look terrific, which is why I'm hearing so many pleasant comments. You relative newbies, though, obviously have a lot of n-r tanks still to see! (And then you'll know why I call mine "humble...")

This tank is amazing! I love all the ricordeas you have and your GSP looks great :) Lol and I'm glad there are others that use pvc pipe for light stands. Great job!

If nothing else, I have made it safe for pvc stand users to come out of the closet.

:)

--Diane

Please do not be humble, Ive seen many tanks over the years and yours looks better than many lfs and so called pros. It takes so much work to keep a 5.5 gallon free of algae and healthy.

Please do not be humble, Ive seen many tanks over the years and yours looks better than many lfs and so called pros. It takes so much work to keep a 5.5 gallon free of algae and healthy.

True dat!

lil'wrasse cool

Wow !!! just seen your sig to your tank wow!!! Your making me lean towards dong a softy tank.

very nice

Also thanks for all your help with ID'ing

:blush: Oops. Sorry--I should always remember that new n-r posters are not always new reefers! Thanks.

But I do have algae... :angry:

Okay, the latest vignette. I meant to go back in the archives and find before pictures, but meanwhile I keep taking current pics...and it's easier to post them than plow thru the 1000's of earlier ones...

So I'm trying to take pics of my latest group of gbg goby fry:

dscn3946largeen9.jpg

When I notice something a bit ominous off to the side:

dscn4156largekj5.jpg

Aha--a tiny drain fly (psychodid) has managed to end up in the tank.

dscn4158largeag0.jpg

Here he is with a few of the goby larvae. The pink blobs are Nutrifin sinking morsels that have yet to sink.

dscn4167largeoy4.jpg

Fly & fish larva:

dscn4199largedm9.jpg

Fly:

dscn4202largesa6.jpg

I lament to say that I did not open the lid and assist the fly out of the tank. The next day he was a smear of guts and chitonous leavings on the glass...

These are the sorts of things that continue to capture my attention, even after I think I've seen it all...

--Diane

strangelove
Early on I learned to love looking for the tiniest frags or colonies I could find at lfs's. I scouted the substrate of their tanks, looking for little pieces that had broken off the show frags. (It was +/- necessary with such a tiny tank and enough LR so that more rocks couldn't be added.) I hope to go back and add early pics, but till then--the orange ric was originally one polyp, the pink was two (it's now 7 - 9 --I can't tell if some of the polyps are split or not) and the greens and blues were very tiny, about dime-sized. They have really taken off.

My son was looking at them not long after looking at rics at the super-but-pricey lfs in Lansing, and remarked something along the lines of "My god, Mom, you've got a fortune in rics there!" :D

--Diane

You should learn how to frag your Rics and Shrooms. Since you don't like the look of the substrate why not cover it up with a bunch of coral. I agree with everyone, don't be ashamed of your tank or your light stand, everything looks great in your tank. It looks like a nice and established soft coral nano tank. Also shows you knew what you were looking for when you got your corals. Smaller is always better when you have a 5.5 gallon tank, it makes the scale of your tank look bigger than it really is.

I just love all the wonderful colors in this tank. REALLY makes me look at my tank and say... dang it needs more!!! :blush:

Thanks, tie! I was lucky to find some nicely colored specimens. That's what catches my eye when I glance at the tank, too. Here are a couple of "walk by" type views:

dscn4498largexu9.jpg

dscn4500largexs3.jpg

Strangelove, thanks too! Yes, I should learn to frag. I understand rics are a bit temperamental...My pink one separates nicely into separate polyps, so at least that one is easy to thin...I have yet to get rid of a ric (though that time is coming), but I have taken Xenia, a Kenya tree, and some shrooms back to lfs's...I need to know some local reefers who'd appreciate them more!

Well, as promised, I've finally begun to go back in the archives and dig up some early pics. The first two are my son's, taken when the tank was in his dorm.

When first set up (early March, 2004)...5.5g, Penguin mini w/ biowheel, HOB heater, 2 pcs LR, crushed coral:

tank1big.jpg

12/04--lots of coralline, a brown macro, some snails & hermits, and some gsp:

tank2big.jpg

The tank went back to college with him after break, but by now his interests had shifted radically, and he was also finding it difficult to keep up with mixing the SW, etc. In short, the tank was neglected. The lights were on a timer, but the water was neglected for long stretches. Much evaporation would occur between top-offs...SW was changed erratically and an iffy hydrometer used to measure it...By summer vacation, when the tank came home, it was clear it had come home to stay. The gsp had dwindled to almost nothing, but the cuc was intact and it had the most beautiful crop of coralline algae. I began to try to learn how to take pics of it. My attention focused first on the hitchhikers which were still going strong despite the uneven conditions of late (for some reason I don't have fts's till after these were taken...).

Bristle worm:

dscn0562largejh6.jpg

Stomatella--even these guys were covered in coralline!:

dscn0571largelx7.jpg

What was left of the gsp--obviously bleached:

dscn0588largetg2.jpg

There was a bit of chaeto, among other algae:

dscn0713largezt6.jpg

This beautiful little olive snail just appeared one day. He showed up sporadically for over a year, but then just disappeared:

dscn0728largekr0.jpg

Brown hydroids (which I still have--they never became a problem) and an Astraea, also covered in coralline:

dscn0844largewu8.jpg

--Diane

Heyy Diane!

nice to see the tank soo beautiful.Still working on the goby breeding project eh? ime soo happy to see a tank soo established.Keep the crushed coral too, it has alot of cool critters in it.

the light stand is badass :lol:

And here are my first lame efforts at fts's. It takes a lot of guts to post the first one! :D

dscn1293largeym3.jpg

^^With flash. Still unaware of how much the Formica surface reflects in pics (I now keep black construction paper in front of tank to eliminate this). A piece of black paper only covering 3/4 of the back of the tank, so that the backspash Formica wouldn't show thru... And the dear little, 18W Coralife mini, sitting on two drawer pulls to raise it slightly above the glass top--man that thing put out a lot of heat!

After a while I tried going flashless. Much better color-wise--look at those corallines!--but at first I couldn't hold the camera steady enough to get rid of the bluriness:

dscn1297largeyh6.jpg

Obviously, a learning curve in progress!

Coming next--first corals...

--Diane

Edit--Hiya, FUGU!! Well, still getting goby larvae, anyway. Have pretty much given up the idea of raising the babies. :(

I agree--the CC does have tons of interesting critters in it! Thanks for the comments.

strangelove

:lol: Your commentary is hilarious :lol: You've got the prose of a seasoned reefer ;) It's good to see that someone else has gone through the learning curve too. It's really interesting to see this tank changing over time, I'm glad you documented it so well.

Like your solution of using black paper to black out the reflection of your counter when taking photos. Bet it just got all soggy on the back of your tank though.

are you planning on raising the GBG up to sell them? i love those little fish... if any make it and you sell them let me know... very cool

Thank you, all!

Like your solution of using black paper to black out the reflection of your counter when taking photos. Bet it just got all soggy on the back of your tank though.

Actually, it's black paper on the back to this day...Have I mentioned I'm slow to get around to change? If the paper gets too wet or salt blotched I just change it...The Penguin mini holds it in place on the right rear side, and the light cord holds in in place on the left, so it's not even taped or anything--just slid into place.

Gee, with this "system," it would be really easy to experiment with different backing colors! :D

are you planning on raising the GBG up to sell them? i love those little fish... if any make it and you sell them let me know... very cool

I love them, too. At first I felt not only highly desirous of but responsible for trying to raise the larvae. I purchased over $100 in rotifers and associated paraphernalia...but it turned out to involve much more of an investment in time, money, and space than I was at all able to take on. Then I felt very guilty about letting them die. Finally, I've come to the stage where I just try to accept them as part of the great food chain of life...The larvae appear regularly (nearly once a week), and are all gone within a few days. For the last few months the female goby has taken to eating them--and I figure that's fine, as she can probably use all the nutrition she can get when she's pumping out all those eggs so regularly.

Meanwhile, the whole behavioral suite that goes into the reproduction is so intricate and fascinating. I never get bored watching it or lose the sense of wonder and privilege for being able to witness it up close and personal.

As Juin21 said, breeding fish are happy fish, and my feeling is that my gobies are "fulfilled," (at least biologically--don't want to get into any speculation about fish emotions here!) to practice their natural behavior.

I do, BTW, have a standing offer to anyone in my neck of the woods to come take any/every batch of larvae they want, if they want to try raising the larvae themselves!

FWIW, here are my various gbg threads--I kind of wanted to have this thread reference my other threads, anyway, so that at least I'd be able to find them easier!:

» Some Green-Banded Goby pics (3/25/06)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=83202&st=0

» OMG, my gobies spawned! (11/11/06)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=6&t=102634

» More pics & vids of my breeding gbg's... (12/15/06)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=6&t=105663

» Male and Female green-banded gobies (1/3/07)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=6&t=107163

» Another plug for Green-banded Gobies... (3/27/07)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115689

quick question, do you gravel-vac your CC, if so how often

Not exactly, because the tubes of all gravel vacs I know of are way too large for this tank--IMO, anyway. It may just reflect my lack of dexterity...As a matter of fact, the only siphon I ever use on it is made of airline tubing. It's slow, but that helps me reach more areas of the tank before I've sucked out half the water...

I try to use my siphon as a gravel vac by thrusting it into the cc, which works for a while until a piece of cc clogs the similar-diameter airline tube. Then I have to break the siphon, go flush out the tubing, and start again...

But as to frequency--usually once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. The tank is just so accessible and small, it's easy to keep up with...

--Diane

Teaser--2 more egregious fts's with something(s) new added:

dscn1304largezz1.jpg

dscn1306largerr9.jpg

(9/14/2005) Note--not turning off the Penguin results in fabulous bubble tracks. :angry: (Not anymore--I've eliminated the bubbles...)

But notice a splotch of color to the bottom right--and an even harder to detect splotch of color to the middle bottom left--my very first corals (well, one's a corallimorph), which I still have today.

--Diane

PS: Before this time, the few bleached gsp polyps remaining from my son's addition had completely died out. Perhaps they were too bleached to recover, or perhaps I improved water quality, etc., too quickly. At any rate, though I felt bad to lose them, in one way I'm just as glad they died out as it was a rather dull morph of gsp, sort of tan colored, and after a while I learned that it paid to wait until you found the color you liked before buying any particular species...

fraggle rockette

omg diane i am so glad to see your thread finally! your tank is amazing, and those rics blow me away- more than fantastic! i only hope my persistence with the tank pays off as well as yours does- great work!!! :happy:

strangelove
Thank you, all!

Actually, it's black paper on the back to this day...Have I mentioned I'm slow to get around to change? If the paper gets too wet or salt blotched I just change it...The Penguin mini holds it in place on the right rear side, and the light cord holds in in place on the left, so it's not even taped or anything--just slid into place.

Gee, with this "system," it would be really easy to experiment with different backing colors! :D

--Diane

Instead of a black piece of paper you should put a photo of a nice reef scene, or a island pardise scene. I think it was tiepilots tank where he had a bright yellow palm tree beach painting hanging over his tank. Thought it would look really cool if dropped a few feet down as a background to his reef tank.

At 5.5 your tank is small enough to put an 11x14 photo behind it, just a thought.

Jeez those gobies are little rascals aren't they :lol:

I would like to try something that I have always wanted to do to a background of a tank. I would paint in wavy abstracted colors the impression of sun rays shining down into the water of a shallow reef.

Kinda like this:

493686970_c6f267cf90.jpg

But with darker blue colors and more pronounced sun rays.

If I'm ever up that way Diane, I'll use your tank as a test run! lol kidding! Would hate to ruin such a beautiful tank!!!

You've inspired me to add some Ric's to my tank when the time comes for my next spending spree. :blush:

I love this tank and am looking for a tank for my dorm roo, though it will probably be something a bit larger a 10-30 gallon tank. For my tank at home I have a PVC light stand, you'd laugh if you saw that compared to yours, but it works and was cheap and light enough.

Awesome livestock

Archived