Pod Your Reef

3 gall picotope

Joseph14

Hi, this isn't exactly my first saltwater but its my first in about a year, i used to run a 2 1/2 gallon nanoreef as a desktop setup but it had to be disassembled due to moving, and it was too much to keep up with it after the move so i gave what was left in the tank to my new neighboor who already had a 20 gallon long equiped to house what inhabited my aquarium,

This time around i was going to start out with 3 gallon picotope

Upgraded light of course, still not sure which one tho, will get back to you guys on that

with an AC30 as filtration and a small powerhead for added flow, probably a Rio.

Primium Fiji LR, 3-4 lbs.

and im still not sure as to whether im going to be going with crushed coral or livesand.

please any requests are welcome.

as for the stocking of this tank im going to look for a colorfull aray of corals, a small cleanup crew, and a clown goby, or yellow watchman goby.

well thats it for now, be back in a while going to the lfs.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey what's up being that I’m setting up the same tank you are I’m going to give you a few pointers they gave me. A 3 gallon tank is virtually to small for the clown goby being that they like to inhabit different corals and in a tank of that size that can be an issue with the corals and a yellow watchman isn't really a good idea either. I would recommend some of the smaller types of gobies maybe a neon or red headed goby some people are also going to say that they recommend no fish at all it's up to you. You should be fine with the ac30 and you can convert it into a mini fuge if you want. As for the lights Dr. Foster and Smith has different 12" lights to accommodate what you’re going to keep well hope this helps.

Thanks again,

Jeff

As for lighting im going to purchase a Single Satelite fixture along with the tank, and i already have a AC30 in pratically brand new condition, and i went out and bought the salt mix( Oceanic ) and a 5 lb. bag of caribsea ocean direct livesand. im going to mix the water tonight in a10 gallon bucket and put a small powerhead in for circulation, im going to be ordering the tank and the light this weekend, and they should be here by next friday, as for the pointers thank you, im still not sure if im going to add a fish, i was just thinking it, and my uncle said that he would help me set it up and make sure i did everything right.

im not going to buy the liverock untill i have the tank setup with the cycle starting.

as for right now, im cleaning out a 55 gal long for a freshwater aquarium for my house, so, ttyl,

um, okay, ive got a couple of questions,

okay

1. about how long would the cycle take for a tank this small

2. do livesand/liverock have a factor on how long the cycle would take.

thanks,

Joseph

avalanche1201
Hey what's up being that I’m setting up the same tank you are I’m going to give you a few pointers they gave me. A 3 gallon tank is virtually to small for the clown goby being that they like to inhabit different corals and in a tank of that size that can be an issue with the corals..........well hope this helps.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Jeff not true. I have a 3gal picotope w/ a Yellow Clown goby and he us to just perch around all day...I have now re done the rock work (i hate it, he loves it) and he swims around much more from place to place. He is a tiny fish and as long as you dont over feed and keep up on WC's you'll be just fine

um, okay, ive got a couple of questions,

okay

1. about how long would the cycle take for a tank this small

2. do livesand/liverock have a factor on how long the cycle would take.

thanks,

Joseph

1. The cycle depends on how much die off there is...if you have Cured LR it should take a few days depending how long it was out of water from LFS to your house

2. The Livesand doesnt really effect the cycle....you can use "dead" sand and the Live Rock will seed it to become "Live" Sand.

just take parameters and once its they're at 0 your good to go

I've had a picotope up and running since February. Here's what I'd recommend... turn that AC30 into a fuge with a light over it. Cram it full of live rock rubble but leave about 2 inches to grow a macro algae like chaeto. I had a constant nitrate problem until I did this, now my levels never seem to change and I haven't done a water change almost 2 in weeks. I'd say thats the best thing you can do for your tank. I'm using an AC70 its big enough to hold my heater, I used a dremel to make tons of holes in the baffle and use it to hold back filter floss as well. I keep this tank next to my bed so to keep the light from the reverse lighting from keeping me and my gf up all night before I did anything else I used a whole can of krylon fusion satin black spray paint and painted the outside and top (except for a window over the macro) until completely opaque.

CaribSea now makes a 5lb bag of live agronite reef substrate, its worth it.

As for test kits... you'll here people rant and rave over salifert test kits but some of those run in the 100's of dollars. I'd go with the API kits you'll need the 'salterwater master' and the 'reef' kits, you can usually find the online for $19-$26. Depending on what you plan on keeping you might need other various kits, especially trace element kits like iodine and magnesium, then there's tests for things like copper. Really I only have the 2 API kits, everything I have is growing like mad so I'm not too worried about my trace elements. I do a 15% water change every week... or 2.

With enough live rock and an AC for filtration, the tank can handle a small goby just stay away from those that burrow as the deep sand bed needed just doesn't make sense in this tank. Be aware some gobies will jump out...

just put out the order for the tank, light, and the legs for the light, they should be here this weekend, ill post pics and update when i fill the tank with water.

Usually all satellites come with legs. You'll be glad that you upgraded the light. Thing about API test kits, they are not very accurate, I know from first hand expirence. The seachem basic will cost you around $25 and will allow you to test ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. As stated before do your weekly water changes. Look into green strip gobies or red strip goby they stay small around 1"

man it is really gona suck if i have an extra pair of legs hangin round, idk, put them away i guess incase one of the legs breaks, that always seems to happen when my little bro would watch my old 5.5 (coincidence? i think not)...

thanks for the info about the API tests dtfleming ill probably go with the seachem basic. i decided not to go and get the liverock yet, that way, when i receive the tank, i see exactly how big it is and i can go and pick peices that will look better in there.

Good idea with waiting on the rock. Try to find small pieces that you can mix and match. Look at tonga and figi rock. Try to find a 5lb bag of LS also.

i already have a 5 lb. bag of caribsea ocean direct livesand. unopened, nothing is being meddled with untill i have the tank and light in hand. then i am going to go buy liverock and like 4-5 gallons of tank established water.

I got my Order!!!!!

i received my 3 gall picotope today as well as my lighting fixture, i will post pics up in an hour or so, I just want to give the back a little time for the spraypaint to dry so it doesnt drip.

-Joseph

Okay heres what I have so far

Equipment:

3 Gall JBJ Picotope

Acuaclear30 HOB Refugium

Dual Satellite 12" 36W

Soon to add:

2Lbs Carribean Live Sand

3-4Lbs Live Rock

Stocking Plans:

Yellow Clown Goby

Rics

Zoos

Mushrooms

Palys

SPS(maybe)

Cleanup Crew will be adde next week. water is coming from an established tank at my LFS and so is the LR,

so im not expecting a long cycle...Here are some pics of my new setup:

Picture016.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture017.jpg

SaVeThEeELs

nice rig!......i personally would go w/ a bigger AC filter if it will fit for fuge purposes....

i like how the stock light convienantly fits on the fuge

as far as fish in a tank that small....many have done it, and still do with no problems,...

ive had too many jumpers!

AHA! :D but ive come up with a method to prevent this!!! :D

i am simply going to use 2 of the glass panes that come with a standard 2.5 aquarium and make a cover for the tank. im hoping that it will fit perfectly on the top. i already have 1 pane on top in front of the tank , and im going to look for another one in my closet for the back. :lol:

hopefully it will work lol...

As for a biger AC filter, ive been thinking im going to go with an AC50 instead of the AC30 i have on there right now.

and if possible an AC70, im still not sure over the 50-70, i havent been to my saltwater LFS yet so i dont know what they have, but im hopefully going to drop by today and get my hands on some choice LR and maybe a small tunze PH.

no prob:lol: happy to help

i was thinking of getting one of these for the 2.5 project im gona do, but it doesnt fit on the tank with the legs, so i might have to make a DIY stand for the light to be held over the tank.

yea, ill look into it, right now im just waiting for my ride to the LFS, im so excited already!!! :lol: i cant wait to get started.

Archived