• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mvite

• ENraged

• The Propagator

• adinsxq

Hmmm 3.60 cents a box

Really ? For premade and insulated?

I am paying like .60 for boxes now and who knows how much for styro. Send me some info---I will buy some!!

3.60 isn't too bad at all. (+shipping??)

Ok so I am not the only one..

I mean all you have to do it assemble them tape them up and send them out.

Not having to cut Styrofoam would be worth the extra to me lol.

Just include the 3 bucks in the shipping charge or something I know most the website i buy from have a 5 dollar handling fee and those are the ones with the good packaging.

The Propagator

The idea is to make money fellas. Not spend it back out :lol:

I can do with out them until winter.

When the cold hits I'll buy'em.

Until then its stock boxes for me.

No that $3.60 per is with shipping.

It really isn't that bad at all, but I am an extreme tight azz.

I may order a few to test them out, but not 50.

They do have a 25 box minimum though.

I'll shoot that info your way Mark.

I'll shoot that info your way Mark.

Thanks buddy--That would be great.

You should see my friggin garage. My side---I haven't put my car in for almost 8 months!! My wife's side looks like it's snowin over there from all the shredded styro.

With me payin .50 per box already---along with 8.88 worth of styro at lowes to make 8 boxes--I am spending a little over a dollar per box now. For piece of mind---and better yet----NEATNESS OF MY GARAGE--I will try some of those.

Just buying the boxes from ULINE has given me time back in my life. I can imagine that pre-cut insulation would be a fetish guilty pleasure of mine...muhahahahaha.....boy has my life gotten lame... :D

This may not be very applicable to the discussion, or maybe it will. I made a trade with a guy in San Francisco for some mangrove propogules. He shipped 2-day in an insulated (or maybe it was just padded) big envelope (he shipped 6 propogules) and I happened to be in the front yard when the mailman drove up. I took the package and it felt HOT! So I took it inside and stuck a thermometer into the package before I even opened it and it read 91F degrees Owwwww. It didn't seem to have bothered the mangroves but I suspect a coral or zoanthid of any kind would have been toast.

Hmmm..

I received some snakes today that were shipped Fedex in a home made insulated box---using a cold pack. It came from SC to PA. When it got here at 10am this morning--the ice pack was still 1/2 frozen. It was separated from the snakes with a piece of insulation (rigid) and the pack was wrapped and wrapped in newspaper.

The snakes were very cold----I was most impressed with the staying power of the guy's cold pack. He said he dropped it at Fedex at 8PM EST last night and it arrived here at 10AM. If there was some way I could temper the cold a bit---I would buy those cold packs. I just think sealed up in a box--those snakes were COLD--water would have been in the 60's for sure---for how long, I dunno.

I received snakes earlier this week with a styro box and an ice pack--and when it came--the ice was thawed and warm. That came from TX.

These things don't mean much---

But---

I am sorta thinking of a cold pack with a vent or something.

I just don't want to worry when I ship.

Couldn't you just wrap them in newspaper and then put them in a separate compartment.

But my thoughts are that the ice is cold right at the shipment start. The water has to be affected at that time.

Do you see what I am sayin?

I had some tubbs blues shipped to me from someone from frags.org with no insulation -- just in the box--I think I mentioned that.

They never opened and I contacted the seller yesterday. He re-shipped today for tomorrow delivery (saturday eeek!) and used insulation and an ice pack. I'm not optimistic! But---At least the guy was real nice about it! I paid for re-shipping though. I didn't want to make a fuss.

But at least we are pretty sure right now that shipping uninsulated in the winter WILL DEFINITELY KILL YOUR CORAL.

That's a baseline for us to build on with our knowledge....

Do you want me to say it or......?

*duh*

:haha:

I am glad you said it!!! Nobody is sayin nothin otherwise!!!! :D

I got my Tubbs yesterday---as well as a HUGE piece of some crazy Cotton Candy Pink morph-as a freebie!!!-truly insane!

They were cold as heck---He used tube ice---I have never seen it. They looked like rolls of coins. They were made of assorted colors of plastic----they were small tubes. He used 2 in a fairly large box--but he put them right in there with the zoas----in a sealing styro box---PRO PACK.

The water was very cold to the touch. The Tubbs haven't opened yet--but the Cotton Candy's have--and there were like 25 or more.

I'm not sure what that means to us.....

OMG--How did we get stickied??!!!

Thanks POWERS THAT BE!!! :) :)

Here's another one--

I have some great ebay friends that I have dealt with for years. From time to time, they prune their overgrown coral and sell it to me.

Today--I had a great guy from FL send me 10 heads of purple tipped hammer coral. He shipped in a PRO PACK sealed styro box--and get this---HE RUBBERBANDED AN ICE PACK AND ADDITIONAL ICE CUBES TO THE BAG OF CORAL!!!

It seems to be alive! The water was room temperature in the ice pack and ice cube bag---and the coral is still retracted--but not fraying or overly slimy. HMMM....

The chilled Tubbs from the other day still haven't opened--and neither have the original ones from 2 weeks ago. The recent Cotton Candy freebies are doing great!

Coral is pretty strong!

The polyps of the tubbs look fine--they are all firm and complete---no frayin or disintegration...

One head of the 11 on the hammer is dead. I think it's the part that had direct contact with the ice---but all the other heads are fine.

Maybe ice ain't so bad---That's the only sorta death I have had from it so far.

I'm still not gonna use it--but nothing has really died if the ice has been properly separated from the corals.

Hello, my name is Mark, and I am the only one who is receiving coral in the summer. :D

Eff you guys, I am participating!!

I shipped via USPS Express to NY from PA--and even though the signature was waived, the apathetic and snoozing PO worker did not leave the box containing MICROMUSSA for the recipient, instead they kept it in the truck and then returned to the PO with it. My client called the PO and went there to get it immediately. Luckily all is fine. It's a mild 85 in PA today---I could only assume the same for NY--so not a scorcher day. No ice.

Hello, my name is Mark, and I am the only one who is receiving coral in the summer. :D

Eff you guys, I am participating!!

I shipped via USPS Express to NY from PA--and even though the signature was waived, the apathetic and snoozing PO worker did not leave the box containing MICROMUSSA for the recipient, instead they kept it in the truck and then returned to the PO with it. My client called the PO and went there to get it immediately. Luckily all is fine. It's a mild 85 in PA today---I could only assume the same for NY--so not a scorcher day. No ice.

I'll throw in a few comments then - shipped one last week, UPS ground, 2 day travel time from Kentucky to Philly area. No ice, everything made it fine.

I got a few more I should hear about in the next couple of days - one even has an ice pack, but its Priority, so I have no idea what will happen.

One thought I had - the specific heat of the water/gel in ice packs is extremely high compared to the air in the box. Even after the ice has melted, the water would be a pretty good insulator...not sure if it's better than adding styro, but it's something to think about.

I live here in Las Vegas and since our temps reach 110+ Im very hesitent to order corals ice packs or not. The local fish stores get there stuff in and I never see ice packs but they ship alot together in a insulated styro box. Any of you guys ship to vegas in the summer?

I've never shipped to Vegas in the Summer---I would rather personally deliver those! :)

I know that I plan on "resting" around December-Feb this winter. I wonder if there are months (and regions) to do that with in Summer? Whenever I am going somewhere that is proclaimed "very hot"--I try to use a Pro Box.

I just have a hard time charging $45 for shipping. I usually just refer to someone closer.

• 2 weeks later...

ARGH!!

Well--I killed 2 SPSs yesterday.

UPS GROUND IN STATE --- IN THE SUMMER = NO NO NO NO NO

The few DOA's I have had---have been in-state UPS ground. It's cheap-- $8, but it spends the entire time on the truck (no plane) and it's the last package delivered and can be rescheduled as mentioned prior.

It didn't get delivered until 6pm last night--and it was HOT.

NO MORE IN STATE UPS GROUND IN THE SUMMER OR WINTER FOR ME!!!

Only Fall and Spring shipping via UPS Ground in - state from now on! :(