Pod Your Reef

My new 120G

shaggydoo541

proraptor2
It worked in my nano so I figured I would try it on my larger tank. It was just a trial at first and I left room in my sump for a skimmer but everything is going so well I highly doubt I'll ever add a skimmer.

As for my tangs getting no ich, I mostly attribute that to keeping them well fed. They get along better when they are fat and they also look a lot healthier with big bulging stomachs. I've seen lots of tangs in other peoples tanks that look emaciated and then I see a post a month or two later about how they are fighting ich and then the tang dies. I do not want that to happen cause fish are expensive.

Im guessing you have never used a skimmer on tank before....Mine helps out a lot....I get better coloration and faster growing SPS with it....I might add another skimmer to the prop tank

Hungry tangs = stress, Stress = Ich

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaggydoo541

Yep never used a skimmer and never plan to. Why mess with what works? I am seeing phenomenal growth and coloration is also fantastic with all my SPS.

proraptor2
Yep never used a skimmer and never plan to. Why mess with what works? I am seeing phenomenal growth and coloration is also fantastic with all my SPS.

If you saw my SPS in person you would sell the T5's, get halides, and buy a skimmer.....LOL

If you saw my SPS in person you would sell the T5's, get halides, and buy a skimmer.....LOL

lol.

same here. Just because skimmerless worked on a much smaller scale with I imagine a much smaller fish stock (hence less uneaten food & less fish waste) doesnt mean that its the right thing to do on a 120. I dont think a skimmer is big investment especially when you're gambling on wether your tank will crash or not. I mean a skimmer is a couple hundred bucks versus the cost of your livestock? Just my thoughts, but I've never been a gambler...

Good luck either way. That tank looks good now.

shaggydoo541

pro - Doubtful, but I've seen the pics of your tank and I have to say you have a fine setup. But I'm stuck in my ways, what can I say? It works for me.

AaronJ - I appreciate the response but honestly I know what I'm doing. It is hardly a gamble in my case. If my tank does crash it will not be because I don't have a skimmer, more likely scenario will be one of my retros falls in the water because of my crappy diy skills LOL.

Thanks for the input everyone and I'll try to get some more pics up to show the insane benefits of no skimmer and t5. Which of course is the only reasons my tank looks good, as there are absolutely no other factors in building a successful reef tank ;)

proraptor2
pro - Doubtful, but I've seen the pics of your tank and I have to say you have a fine setup. But I'm stuck in my ways, what can I say? It works for me.

AaronJ - I appreciate the response but honestly I know what I'm doing. It is hardly a gamble in my case. If my tank does crash it will not be because I don't have a skimmer, more likely scenario will be one of my retros falls in the water because of my crappy diy skills LOL.

Thanks for the input everyone and I'll try to get some more pics up to show the insane benefits of no skimmer and t5. Which of course is the only reasons my tank looks good, as there are absolutely no other factors in building a successful reef tank ;)

My buddy Mike Dege (you probably have seen him on here) dropped all his high end SPS off with me before he went on a 3 week hawaii vacation.....His SPS colored up so nice in my tank over the past 2 weeks that my jaw dropped....He uses T5ho's over his 120 (8 of them with tek reflectors) and is now thinking of going Halide :)

Maybe one day you will see the light! I did

shaggydoo541

All the corals I have came from MH tanks. I saw them in person (since I get all my corals locally) before buying and without question I like the colors under my t5 a lot better. But since its all personal preference, to each his own. I did have mh over my 18g and I have to say mh is great but not as great as t5.... GO T5 ;)

shaggydoo541

Well I was playin around with my camera and iPhoto and here is what I came up with. Enjoy

746332158_8dd9c71527_b.jpg

746332086_a06d091e97_b.jpg

746332020_fd96f9e8d6_o.jpg

746331976_69ae3da6af_b.jpg

746331934_282a1c16ee_b.jpg

746331926_0d63f04bec_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

very nice pics but only suggestion is to use a ultraviolet steralizer if you have that amount of tangs and no skimmer.

ich plus tangs in a tank with coral equals either death to tangs that catch ich or treat them and kill your coral.

just play on the safe side.

shaggydoo541

No uv for me, I just keep my tangs well fed and have not seen a spot of ich on any of them. I want to keep my setup as simple as possible.

Thanks for the compliments. My favorite is the angel shot but it got squished so bad here that it really looks better on the flickr site. I'll try to edit my post to make that one a link because I really like that shot.

shaggydoo541

Ok my goal is to overload my thread with pictures. Most threads are so boring with all talk and no photos. My goal is to have the exact opposite. So that means if lots of people want to talk to me about my tank, I just have to take that many more pics. Let me know what you think.

925080042_7406c1fbbb_o.jpg

924231249_ae1ecb0e07_b.jpg

924231671_7d4db8cc8e_o.jpg

924232011_a71493d82f_b.jpg

925081590_e26e39dd0d_b.jpg

925081838_d9205e05bc_o.jpg

And this last on I was amazed with. I really like it as it came off the camera in raw like this, with one side illuminated. Maybe not the best picture but I like it because of how unique it came out compared to my other shots of the night.

924259165_49d510384c_b.jpg

Ok chances are this is going to look squished again. I apologize but I guess I just take pictures that are too big. But if you go to my flickr site you can see them all in their full size (well full size I downloaded to the internet anyways.... the actual images are gigantic due to the fact I shot in raw on a 10 mp camera). So feel free to visit my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848827@N08/

Ok my goal is to overload my thread with pictures. Most threads are so boring with all talk and no photos. My goal is to have the exact opposite.

shaggy--Oh, I am so glad this thread was on the homepage when I was perusing it...super, super pics!!! I don't think there's any such thing as overloading one's thread with pics! My only complaint is that I only saw pics from post #33 on. Why are all the previous ones red X's?

Jeez, those fish pics would make such great avatars/desktops/t-shirts/you name it. Really, really cool.

--Diane

shaggydoo541

Thanks c est ma. I haven't looked at my first page for a while. I just realized that the site I downloaded all the pics on that first page was a trial site and since I didn't sign up they must have pulled all my pics. I'll have to go back and load them again and edit those first posts. Whoops.

shaggydoo541

Well to keep my thread pic heavy etc I guess I better post some more since all the pics from my 1st page have been pulled. So here are some more.

930921133_d4d16f9856_o.jpg

930920851_3d780c0f86_b.jpg

931769100_4a2e1d12e5_b.jpg

930920263_d155e28e96_b.jpg

930919251_80bc9513f9_b.jpg

930919713_0b797396f3_o.jpg

931767440_61b84e3f93_o.jpg

930918589_cc64a8e855_b.jpg

:o:o:o

My jaw is hanging open...How on earth do you get such fantastic fish pictures?! You should be selling those to some magazine.

How about selling them as art prints to fellow reefers?

Superb!!

--Diane

shaggydoo541

Well I did shoot the last batch with a 800 speedlight on my nikon. It is the most amazing piece of equipment I have for taking fish pictures. It is so hard to take pics with the artificial lighting we have in our tanks, so with the speedlight I could open up the fstop a bit and get a lot more detail than I could get otherwise. I'm glad you like it, and maybe I will start a t-shirt line soon ;)

I really like the powder blue shots the best... especially the one where he is all spread out and ready for takeoff. Which ones do you all like best?

T-shirts would be great!

I can see how the speedlight would be extremely helpful, but you still have to be tracking the moving fish and letting the cam focus...so I'm still impressed. I remember pics of Axelrod taking fish pics by putting them in little plastic tanks barely big enough to hold the fish (and so narrow they couldn't turn around)--you're obviously not restricting them like that!

Well, I like them all, but esp. 3, 4, and 6.

And 4 IS my favorite! It's not only such a cool perspective, but that mouth really makes it kind of...what? creepy?...but in a neat way, sort of like something out of a medieval bestiary... :D Like some sort of chimera...

Too cool.

--Diane

shaggydoo541

4 is my favorite too. I wanted to photoshop it and put the pic against a completely black background but I'm not good enough with photoshop to do that. So I just left it how it was. I'm glad you like it. It is by far my favorite. The 'pose' is just too good. I can't believe I caught my powder blue llke this. It looks like a snow angel.

• 4 weeks later...
shaggydoo541

Well here is my latest batch. Tried to mix up coral and fish pics this time. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

1188592349_15cbf7f9ee_b.jpg

1188591971_ad700dedf3_b.jpg

1189459994_e58d270f13_b.jpg

1189459612_1a650e8e92_b.jpg

1188590739_455ace2f7d_b.jpg

1188590443_3478985b99_b.jpg

1189458654_cdb0c0a62e_b.jpg

1189457672_6444f77bc7_b.jpg

1188589513_54aeb71b71_b.jpg

nice. my 120 comes in Wed, I found a great deal like I posted earlier. The guy is actually deliverying it to me for 50 dollars.

Can I see your design of your sump, I need some suggestions how to get mine done

Oh, gee, I ran out of superlatives for your pics long ago!

I love the way the mottled markings on the nose of the tang in that first pic look like a splash of freckles. :D Who knew?

The composition and colors in the 2nd are just stunning. Are they pals? I see they were together in the last batch as well.

Again, the powder blue is my favorite--that fish really appears to have a personality!

I'm impressed with the depth of field on those coral close-ups--very nice.

And those zoas--just simply gorgeous.

Where's my t-shirt? :D

--Diane

shaggydoo541

eddie - My sump is very simple. First part is where the 2 returns and carbon is. Then a couple baffles then an area with some lr rubble, chaeto and my heaters. Then 3 more baffles and my mag18 as a return in the third section. Simple and effective.

Diane - I'm glad you like these. The purple and yellow are friends I guess but mostly they just like to act all tough every once in a while and that is captured by the shot above. They puff up and then bump tails... its a pretty cool display of aggression with no harm done to either tang. I'll have a t-shirt made some day ;)

Archived