I decided to go with a tank that fits between the 10 and 33, a 20g high. The tank will use a few things I acquired for the 33g as well as some things from my 10 including all the livestock.
One of the things that I had to consider for this tank are the numerous problems that arise when moving a reef. First off, after a year I have probably lost ~2/3 of the corals that I have purchased. Many things did well for months and then died suddenly. It took me awhile to catch on (silly NOOB) but these deaths were concentrated around all of my moves. While they weren't like the next day after moving, things would become visably stressed and then after a few weeks they would either be back to normal or dead.
I think there are a few reason for this, but the one big reason that I couldn't fix in my last set up was the detritus that filled the tank everytime I moved it. Because of my shallow sand bed I could not completely remove all of the detritus no matter how hard I tried and when I set the tank back up it was always a complete ###### storm.
My solution to this is going bare bottom. I will be able to completely drain the tank and rinse all detrius out every time I move to and from school, greatly reducing the stress to my corals and fish. It will also make the tank easier to carry because a tank with sand and just enough water to keep it covered is extremely hard to carry.
I will have to wait until the fall to see how this works out but I am very hopeful that this will solve the coral die off issue, it just pains me to think of all the coral I have lost to the mistakes I have made in the last year. My only goal now is to learn from these mistakes and create system that is a lot more move friendly.
Even though this tank is BB and I am lighting it with a 250w HQI Aqua Medic Oceanlight pendant (purchased for the 33g) I don't anticipate that it will feature SPS heavily, at least until I can see how well it goes through a move.
I will be trying to keep this system as simple as possible. The rest of the equipment will consist of one Tunze 6025 for flow and a DIY acrylic refugium that holds 2-3 gallons of water used to hold rubble and chaeto.
Stock will consist of my 2 occellaris clowns that have made it through all my moves like champs, my blood cleaner shrimp, and 15lbs of rock with assorted corals from the 10g. I will probably try and pick up a few more pounds of LR from established tanks. I think that I will probably add a small wrasse as well, a sixline or a flasher(if I can find one around here for not too much $$$).
In any case, I am waiting on my custom cut starboard for the bottom, once that arrives I will be siliconing it down and allowing the silicone to cure for a few days. My guess right now is that I will have it all put together as early as a week from now.
I will take some pics of the tank and lights set up tomorrow after I get a chance to take some.
(longest post evAR, guess this is what I get for taking summer courses and having work to procratinate)
Edited by bucknellreefer, 02 July 2008 - 06:53 PM.