Cultivated Reef

Your Metal Halide Questions Answered

RBuddha

I'm about to start a 16 gal Nano cube.

Do you guys think I would do fine with a 70w HQI or would you go for the 150w?

I'm planning on some SPS, but mostly R. Florida.

Edited by AndersNT
  • 1 month later...

i have a question, so i just bought a new tank and it came with a 150w 14k hamilton light fixture. im a complete noob when it comes to halides so is it okay if i leave it on all day with out turning it off? or should i turn it off every so often? advice please?

• 1 month later...

What is a good height to hang a 150 watt MH with a Phoenix bulb over it? I hung it 6-7" off the water with a fishneedit bulb and I dont want to provide too much PAR for my corals

• 1 month later...
I wont get into the whole technical side of how it works because frankly, its boring and if you really need to know that then there are other resources that can explain it a lot better than i can.

My fav. part.

thanks good read

• 1 month later...

im thinking about buying 2 250 aqua medic spacelight ex for my frag tank. any reviews on them or does anyone have any experience with the fixture, ballast, bulbs etc. Thanks I do need the help before I spend the mulla $$

lawnmowerblenny

how high should I hang my 150 w mh 10k fni light over my bta in a 55 gal standard ? 1/2 the tank is mh and half the tank is t5..... what is the average hanging height for 150w mh on this side tank? thanks guys

• 1 month later...

I have 2 96 watt PC lamp fixture over a 46 bowfront. Would 2 70 mh with 4 39 watt T5 be sufficient. Not looking to grow SPS or clams. Just shrooms and softies. Also would there be a heat increase over the PC's. I do not want to run a cooler.

• 3 weeks later...

Lumatek 250W 120/240V Dimmable / Multi-Wattage Ballast Kit

250 Watt 20000K Metal Halide Bulb - German Radium, Mogul Base

Would this set up be good for a oceanic 70g tech series?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, I have a 1000watt MH, 2'x2' reflector, and a 1000watt MH/HPS interchangeable magnetic ballast laying around. It can take 120V or 240V i believe, and I was wondering if that would be fine to just get a good coral bulb in that wattage? or do i need a different ballast? The light will be going over a 72 gallon bow front, so I'm not frying a nano, plus I'm on a budget so buying a whole new light is not ideal. I just have an empty 72, a light that needs re-purposing, and prety much everything I need but the "live" goods to get a new reef going.

I know heat may be an issue, and depth, but i can mount the light 4' above the tank if need be. Also not worried about the electric bill, ran the light before for long periods of time with not much increase.

• 2 months later...

Hi, please help me.

I have a Blau Lumina nano fixture. I want to change the bulb. The official bulb fixture G12, but I wish an Ushio 150w 14000 K bulbs G12 with HID fixture. There is difference simple G12 between HID G12?

Thank you

Gabor from Hungary :)

• 2 years later...

Stupid question Im sure but oh well. If Im using a 500w halogen fixture for a 70w halide, it will just run 70w right? Wanna make sure its not running 500w for some reason. Like I said, stupid question but I wanna be sure.

• 8 months later...

Probably too late. But if it's not on the box it's hard to tell :) Also it is probably very yellow as it doesn't look like taht bulb is made for lighting reef aquariums.

• 2 years later...
DesPlainesGeek

Question, I have a old retro kit for an70w mh and was thinking about starting a nano again. Do anyone have recommendations on where to purchase bulbs? I'm having a difficult time finding anything that doesn't look cheap. By the way this is a hqi bulb

2 hours ago, DesPlainesGeek said:

Question, I have a old retro kit for an70w mh and was thinking about starting a nano again. Do anyone have recommendations on where to purchase bulbs? I'm having a difficult time finding anything that doesn't look cheap. By the way this is a hqi bulb

I don't know anything about the brand, but I found this: https://www.amazon.com/20000K-Metal-Halide-Double-Ended/dp/B00BUT2EFE

DesPlainesGeek

Yeah I found those on eBay too. They seem really cheap and unreliable. I remember back in the day you could by brand name bulbs like ushio or aqua medic. Can't seem to find  anyone selling good 70w bulbs anymore. Does anyone here still use a 70w halide on their tanks here?

2 minutes ago, DesPlainesGeek said:

Yeah I found those on eBay too. They seem really cheap and unreliable. I remember back in the day you could by brand name bulbs like ushio or aqua medic. Can't seem to find  anyone selling good 70w bulbs anymore. Does anyone here still use a 70w halide on their tanks here?

I remember that too!!

I've seen one or two people using 150w metal halide or 250w, but I can't remember the last time I saw 70w metal halide being used. 

DesPlainesGeek

ive found 2 aqua medic 20k bulbs on ebay. other than that theres none more i can find. kind of on the fence being not really sure about future replacement bulbs although ive heard aqua medic bulbs can last two years with only 25% par loss and little color loss. which means i would have four years of use before replacement. not sure if i should buy them

If they're a good price, I'd do it. 

Is this a retro inside a hood? Like on an AIO tank?

If so, my once concern would be heat in the tank as a result of having MH in a hood. 

DesPlainesGeek

its a retrokit with a reflector and electronic ballast. i was thinking of getting a nuvo ten gal to put it over maybe even a nuvo 20. i was planning on doing a enclosed hood probably about 8'' high canopy with a 3'' ice cap fan as that worked well on my old nano(20gal tall with a 250w mh). the bulbs on ebay are $89 each

12 minutes ago, DesPlainesGeek said:

its a retrokit with a reflector and electronic ballast. i was thinking of getting a nuvo ten gal to put it over maybe even a nuvo 20. i was planning on doing a enclosed hood probably about 8'' high canopy with a 3'' ice cap fan as that worked well on my old nano(20gal tall with a 250w mh). the bulbs on ebay are $89 each

Oh, that could totally work!!!

In your shoes, I would do some searching and see if I could find reviews on those exact bulbs (prob old reviews, but who cares), and if they're decent reviews and you have the budget for the bulbs, go for it.