Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting Requirements for Clams

ezcompany

Almost seven pages and no one's brought up HO LED's yet? According to what I've the PAR readings on a Biocube 14 with 11 Cree XR-E's is way more than enough for clams... and you don't have to change bulbs every 6 months.

Do you have a link? I would love to upgrade the lighting on my Nanowave 9 Gallon.

• Like 1
superdavesds

I wanted to bring up a question about this. I got my hands on a 260 watt current usa light that runs 4x65 21 inch pcs. Now after a lot of reading I have figured out that this is still not quite normal lighting as far as whites and blues. Also after a lot of study of light spectrums and par, 6700k are supposed to give better photosynthisis than 10000k. Simply put, it is my understanding that the 10k is pleasing to the eye. Where the 6700k gives a better "sun like" effect. As far as actinics it is the same for the 420nm vs 460nm. Now if we use a combination of the 10000k, 6700k, 420nm, and 460nm, would that be better to promote the growth of these clams? And please dont push wattage at me. You know those cars that have the impossibly bright headlights that aggrivate the crap out of us? They use a lot less power than the mediolcre at best halogen. Lets say you put a 500w 10k hqi on a 500 gallon tank. I cant help but think that would not be as good as 100 watts of pc lighting over a ten gallon tank. As well wattage stretched over length compared to a boat load crammed together will give better intensity.

All that being said, I have no clam and am unsure if I want one. Just doing research on lighting. I currently have a Nanowave 9 with the stock 2x24 watters in it. I can only wonder if the stock bulbs were changed out for the dual daylights and the dual actinics, would it stabilize a maxima? I bought the new light because I got it supper cheap with a 55 gallon tank :D

Nice LEDs I want to look into that for the nanowave! How is the heat on that?

• 4 weeks later...

I had a crocea under 96 watts pc lighting in an NC12 for about 6 months and it showed great growth and color. I then moved it to a 29 gallon with two 70 metal halides and placed it on the bottom where it continued to thrive for another 6 months or more until this last ice storm we had and I lost everything. Now I have a generator!!! Maybe I was just lucky but my clam never showed signs of being unhealty.

• 7 months later...
callmesaul8889

i read about 4 pages and saw nothing of LEDs. I'm not so hot with understanding this aquarium lighting thing, which is weird cuz i'm kind of a techy person..

as of right now, i have a 10 gallon with 46w 50/50 actinic & 1000k pc lighting... in the mail, i have 2 24LED strips coming.. one white, one blue

like i said, i dont really understand this very much, i read that watt for watt, LEDs have a better PAR rating, which is what counts, correct?

what kind of clam can I keep with this setup? if any?

its purely out of curiosity to understand the lighting requirements a little better. gracias

Edited by callmesaul8889
like i said, i dont really understand this very much, i read that watt for watt, LEDs have a better PAR rating, which is what counts, correct? what kind of clam can I keep with this setup? if any?

Depends on the LEDs you are getting. The 'strips' might be nothing more than accent LEDs. The LEDs being used over aquariums have a little more to them...

callmesaul8889

theyre probably accent lights, how would I know? the only reason i got them is because my tank hood only allows so much light into my tank, and im putting the strips under the front panel to brighten up the rest of the tank. but these LEDs are bright as bawls, so i was curious

• 2 weeks later...
I had a crocea under 96 watts pc lighting in an NC12 for about 6 months and it showed great growth and color. I then moved it to a 29 gallon with two 70 metal halides and placed it on the bottom where it continued to thrive for another 6 months or more until this last ice storm we had and I lost everything. Now I have a generator!!! Maybe I was just lucky but my clam never showed signs of being unhealty.

I've had my crocea for over a year now placed fairly high in the tank under 192W (2x96) PC lighting. It's been doing great. Dual bulbs 6500/10000 sunlight and 420nm/460nm actinic.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
superdavesds

For all the nay sayers, this is after 6 months. Thgis clam has seen about 1/4 inch growth under a pair of 26 watt power compacts. A very good friend of mine practically gave me this little dude at 2 inches. He was so convinced I could keep it he took a loss on it. BTW, he is the guy that is a very reputable and knowlegeable reefer that runs the LFS. I took it as a test and cant believe How well it has done!

IMG_1388.jpg

I liked this clam because of the little goldish green coloratins in it. It has done nothing more than beutify this thing. Thank you very much Heath for talking me into it!

Edited by superdavesds
cheryl jordan
For all the nay sayers, this is after 6 months. Thgis clam has seen about 1/4 inch growth under a pair of 26 watt power compacts. A very good friend of mine practically gave me this little dude at 2 inches. He was so convinced I could keep it he took a loss on it. BTW, he is the guy that is a very reputable and knowlegeable reefer that runs the LFS. I took it as a test and cant believe How well it has done!

IMG_1388.jpg

I liked this clam because of the little goldish green coloratins in it. It has done nothing more than beutify this thing. Thank you very much Heath for talking me into it!

Beautiful clam, love the green and blue mixture, looks healthy enough.

Old thread but good thread, I hope it gets some more attention.

• 2 months later...

I have a 14gallon tank (24x12x12) and i wanted to get a T.Maxima or a T.Crocea, but not too sure if my lighting is good enough..

This is the current lighting which is 3" from the water surface.

1x 10,000k PC 36watts

2x 14watt T5 Blues

2x 65000k T5H0's 24watts

I have a 14gallon tank (24x12x12) and i wanted to get a T.Maxima or a T.Crocea, but not too sure if my lighting is good enough..

This is the current lighting which is 3" from the water surface.

1x 10,000k PC 36watts

2x 14watt T5 Blues

2x 65000k T5H0's 24watts

nope

• 5 months later...
saltwatercoral

I know I am coming in late on this one, but I am waiting on my AI sol blue led light to come in. Here is a description of them.

"The AquaIllumination Sol LED Light System is capable of producing as much light as a 400W metal halide system while using more than 50% less energy and producing a fraction of the heat. Automated sunrise, daylight, sunset and lunar light cycles all included. Lamp life is up to 10 years."

Will these work for clams as well? I have the marineland 45g cube. (24x24x18)

I know I am coming in late on this one, but I am waiting on my AI sol blue led light to come in. Here is a description of them.

"The AquaIllumination Sol LED Light System is capable of producing as much light as a 400W metal halide system while using more than 50% less energy and producing a fraction of the heat. Automated sunrise, daylight, sunset and lunar light cycles all included. Lamp life is up to 10 years."

Will these work for clams as well? I have the marineland 45g cube. (24x24x18)

Yea

• 4 weeks later...

I have some really encouraging pictures to show . Mind you I am using 4$ ebay LED bulbs. not expensive cree bulbs.

Super encouraging is the growth of my crocea clam. I brought this home Valentines day 2011 (this is one month growth.

so feb 14th-march 20th growth

IMG_9566.jpg

I love tracking the growth on these. A few members of a NH club that i run have been switching to these led and noticing awesome growth as well.

my tank (55g) has a total of 66w of led. so chances are the section this clam lives in only has about 10w visible to it.. and its halfway down in the tank... (about 14")

$5-7 per bulb..

just started a discussion on it here :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the great info! I always wanted to see a good comparison of the different species of clams.

I'm glad to see that clams grow well under LEDs, that just encourages me even more to build a DIY LED fixture

SouthFlorida_Tron

What about LEDs? Say.... 12x3watt CreeXP-G/E with two T5's....

The nano customs 12" hybrid for my bc14, will I have light issues for any corals/clams? Was told it was a serious rig.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Lol didn't see the LED posts back here, what really brings out their colors, actinics??? Blues???

TinyGiant

clams aren't actinic responsive. they need it still but they dont glow like corals do.

more 10k is better i believe

SouthFlorida_Tron
clams aren't actinic responsive. they need it still but they dont glow like corals do.

more 10k is better i believe

My fixture is on order for a few weeks, 6 cool whites at 3watts each-(new Cree xp series)

6 royal blues 3watts each

Ah Gould be great in a tiny 14gal right?

From what I was told anyways....

TinyGiant

should be fine.

i have a total of 20w of LED over my 55g and the clam is halfway down the tank.

realistically the clam probably only gets 8w of the light in its zone.. i would like it would be fine. they love phyto plankton too :) always helps keeping up with the growth

• 2 months later...
alohadustin

can you send a link to the seller you bought them from? Im on a strick budget but found out stock lighting on my 12g nano wont work for the crocea i just got. pretty please? Thanks!!!

I have some really encouraging pictures to show . Mind you I am using 4$ ebay LED bulbs. not expensive cree bulbs.

Super encouraging is the growth of my crocea clam. I brought this home Valentines day 2011 (this is one month growth.

so feb 14th-march 20th growth

IMG_9566.jpg

I love tracking the growth on these. A few members of a NH club that i run have been switching to these led and noticing awesome growth as well.

my tank (55g) has a total of 66w of led. so chances are the section this clam lives in only has about 10w visible to it.. and its halfway down in the tank... (about 14")

$5-7 per bulb..

just started a discussion on it here :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

Edited by alohadustin
  • 5 weeks later...