ReefCleaners.org

Lighting Requirements for Clams

ezcompany

Chupacabras

Oh well. I'm pretty sure Shimek is the one that started the mantle thickness nonsense in the first place when he wrote it in his marine invert book, which was why I was curious if there was something I'd missed from him.

My 12g nanocube has been established for a few months and I just finished a 70w MH retro using a 14K Current bulb. My LFS has several small clams of which species I'm not sure (I'll have to check). The few corals that I recently purchased are thriving and look better than they did in the store. Would you think my tank meets the requirement for a Crocea or Maxima?

fraggle rockette

okay guys... noobish question- read the thread but still wanted a more detailed answer, esp. if you're keeping a clam in a 12g. i have a 12g nano cube with stock lights and my LFS has some super cute 1-2" clams in their tank... croaceas i think... what sort of upgrade would i need to make if any to get one of these bad boys? is the lighting in the dx models sufficient enough yet, or do i need something else? thanks!

okay guys... noobish question- read the thread but still wanted a more detailed answer, esp. if you're keeping a clam in a 12g. i have a 12g nano cube with stock lights and my LFS has some super cute 1-2" clams in their tank... croaceas i think... what sort of upgrade would i need to make if any to get one of these bad boys? is the lighting in the dx models sufficient enough yet, or do i need something else? thanks!

Good luck, I have 70w MH and no one will answer me either. :mellow:

fraggle rockette
Good luck, I have 70w MH and no one will answer me either. :mellow:

that's cause your face is duct taped ;)

maybe we should ask something that will get us flamed and then ask the real question :naughtydance:

Edited by fraggle rockette
ProFlatlander15

I kept a 2 inch crocea in my 10G for a few months without any problems directly under 70W 10K MH. It did not lose color or gape, and had no signs of stress. It was about 6 inches from the bulb, 4 of them being water.

that's cause your face is duct taped ;)

maybe we should ask something that will get us flamed and then ask the real question :naughtydance:

Can I put a crocea clam, a yellow tang and a moorish idol in my 12g nanocube with 70w of MH? :P

Honestly to be safe I'd say you'd want at least a 70w MH. Some people have integrated one into their hoods. I've heard of people try to keep one under stock cube lighting and it died on them within 2 weeks unfortunately. :(

Nanoty, if you have a 70w in a 12g cube (or even 24g cube) you should be ok. if it's a 24g, I'd place it higher to the light though to be on the safe side...

ProFlatlander15

Retrofit. Actually, Nanocustoms ( or something like that, I don't really know all-in-one tanks that well) sells modded NCs, so I think it could be done pretty easily.

coral_addict
i disagreed with coral addicts info above: "You should be able to keep a Crocea Clam until it reaches 3" and higher as it will require photosynthesis at that point for food rather then via feeding."

i still think 72 watts is a little iffy if you want me to be absolutely honest ;)

Try it first and tell us. Looks like you have extensive experience but it's mostly wiht MH. Most ppl on this site just report what they hear thru the grapevines. I also read plenty of stories about ppl having CLAMs under PC lighting for 2 or more years. Realistically in the Nano space, I think we would all outgrow our environment in 1-2 years. So I say it's doable and my LFS "City Pets" in houston have many reference customers that has it under PC lighting for a while. So if you don't have the $$ for MH but really have to have a CLAM for some reason, look up other ppl's success story and compare their PC setup to yours. Obviously the more light the higher the chance of success but the water parameters are equally important as I mentioned my CLAM didn't like the 150W BC 29 tank as much as my 48Watt BC14 setup bc the smaller tank was more matured. But if you really want it to thrive and look it's best, MH is the only way to go. I did noticed that the CLAM's color came out much more under MH after I upgrade to a 70W Sunpod for the BC14.

newjerseynano

yea clams like trates, and a hell of a lot of calc! my little 3" crocea sucks down at least 5-10 ppm a day! and concerning the 12g with a 1", on relatively powerful pcs it can be done, as if you feed the clam most of the nourishment is being provided there, since the clam hasn't developed the full potential of zooxanthellae. But once it has, u better have good lighting cuz it will get its energy only from the lights. but a 1"-2" clam could, key word could, do alright under pcs. but anything larger and u need at least mh, or t5. hth

so is there just a bulb change i can do or does this require a retrofit?

Are you talking about the metal halide? Check out my tank thread (sig) as well as Qwank's in the members tank forum. We both just did MH retros on 12g nanocubes. I added mine up and it was just a little over $100 all together. I am going to look at some small clams this weekend. I don't know if I want to put one in my tank yet (it's only about 2 months old) but if I find a really good deal I might give it a shot.

so is there just a bulb change i can do or does this require a retrofit?

It's a retrofit. Nanotuners makes NanoCube PC bulb retrofit additions, I'm not sure of anyone (other than a homemade custom job) that makes an actual cube specific MH light retrofit into the hood. I know of people that did this with their Aquapods, but I don't recall anyone that did one into a NanoCube. I forget which tanke everyone has these days. :P

ProFlatlander15
yea clams like trates, and a hell of a lot of calc! my little 3" crocea sucks down at least 5-10 ppm a day! and concerning the 12g with a 1", on relatively powerful pcs it can be done, as if you feed the clam most of the nourishment is being provided there, since the clam hasn't developed the full potential of zooxanthellae.

So... I can safely deduct that clams are like high lighting chaeto?

clams need nitrates and phosphates, but this doesn't mean they should be detectable in the water column. in a healthy system, as soon as ammonia, nitrates or phosphates are created, they are used right away by marine organisms, such as clams.

i guess what i'm saying is don't go out of your way dumping nutrients in your tank. if you have fish, and you feed your fish, you'll be fine.

phosguard is rumored to leach back phosphates into the tank as it is aluminum based.

granular ferric oxide phosphate removers boost the iron levels in the tank, which may or may not be the cause of pinched mantle in clams.

phosguard is rumored to leach back phosphates into the tank as it is aluminum based.

granular ferric oxide phosphate removers boost the iron levels in the tank, which may or may not be the cause of pinched mantle in clams.

Yeah, just my luck... Well they claim it doesn't leach back, but of course they can claim anything they want to. I've had the sack of it in my tank since Jan, so I'm sure it's time to toss it out. Same with the Purigen I have in there too. But running my fuge should depleat excess phosphates anyways. So wait, if nitrates and phosphate is needed for clams, does a fuge go against having one then since chaeto is known to help consume/filter out both of those??

Would Phos-Ban be in the same boat as PhosGuard?

Yeah, just my luck... Well they claim it doesn't leach back, but of course they can claim anything they want to. I've had the sack of it in my tank since Jan, so I'm sure it's time to toss it out. Same with the Purigen I have in there too. But running my fuge should depleat excess phosphates anyways. So wait, if nitrates and phosphate is needed for clams, does a fuge go against having one then since chaeto is known to help consume/filter out both of those??

Would Phos-Ban be in the same boat as PhosGuard?

phosban is a gfo based media. it will remove phosphates more efficiently in your system, but the increase in iron MIGHT cause pinched mantle for your Crocea.

a fuge is always a good idea. as long as you have fish and you feed them, i wouldn't worry about your clam not getting enough nutrients.

i have heard good things about purigen, why not use it?

Purigen I DO use, along with PhosGuard. I also have Chemi-Pure that I have yet to use... I should test my phosphates again though to see if I still need to use PhosGuard or not anymore...

Edited by Phixion