Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clown Fish Growth Rate..

NemoReefer

This question is for those of you who over feed your clown fish..

I just want to see how fast do your clown fish grow under a heavy feeding schedule.. 3 times a day at least with varieties of food..

Can it double its size in a month? I have a pair of False Percula Clowns and they are 1-1.5" big. They have been in my tank for a week. I feed them at least 3 times a day since I'm home everyday.

So far they only accept Hikari Marine-S pellets and frozen Mysis.. I haven't noticed a rapid growth of my clowns.. Maybe it is because I spend too much time watching them? so wouldn't noticed size difference.

Highly doubt the doubling in a month unless they're in the "recently hatched and just sellable" catagory.

Didn't go terribly fast for mine. Year or two to 2.5" + and slowly on up to 3-4" from there.

The male has hardly grown at all (expected). He started out at 1" and might be about 1.5" here a couple years later.

Didn't go terribly fast for mine. Year or two to 2.5" + and slowly on up to 3-4" from there.

Do you have the False Percula? I thought they only grow up to 3.5".

The male has hardly grown at all (expected). He started out at 1" and might be about 1.5" here a couple years later.

Why the male stay so small? Do you mean all male clown will not grow over 1.5"?

This question is for those of you who over feed your clown fish..

I just want to see how fast do your clown fish grow under a heavy feeding schedule.. 3 times a day at least with varieties of food..

Can it double its size in a month? I have a pair of False Percula Clowns and they are 1-1.5" big. They have been in my tank for a week. I feed them at least 3 times a day since I'm home everyday.

So far they only accept Hikari Marine-S pellets and frozen Mysis.. I haven't noticed a rapid growth of my clowns.. Maybe it is because I spend too much time watching them? so wouldn't noticed size difference.

why 3 times a day? That seems like a lot.

why 3 times a day? That seems like a lot.

I thought most people consider feeding a clown fish 3 times a day is a lot? maybe I just being conservative.. how many times do you feed your clown fish?

I thought most people consider feeding a clown fish 3 times a day is a lot? maybe I just being conservative.. how many times do you feed your clown fish?

I was ding it every other day; then went to everyday to get my gramma out from hiding. Now moving back to every other.

You guys feed once every other day? why? you dont want to see a big fat clown fish in your tank?? haha.. :D

I always want to have big fat fish in my tank regardless its type. B)

In answer to your question mine are false clowns. I said 3-4" since some grow larger and some grow bigger (most humans ~6', doesn't mean we all grow 6').

I'm guess the male never got big just because of what he is, the male. When I got him the female was pretty well grown, and he just "stayed small" in recognition of the pair bond (though I doubt he really "made a decision").

3 times a day is usually fed by breeders or those attempting to have their fish start breeding (that much feeding on a tank can play hell with your water params so keep a look out). So much because it takes so much energy. For the female laying a thousand eggs every two weeks in and of itself is a major feat, and for the male, he hardly gets to eat for a week at a time since he keeps busy fanning all those thousands of eggs.

Otherwise once a day is generally enough (heck even every other day) to keep them more than happy (but if you throw food in they'll definately eat it whenever it comes).

My pair is still very small. The male is 1" and female is 1.5". I dont want to see a pair of stunted clowns in my tank. On the other hand, over feeding could cause problems too, I totally agree. I'm having a purple hairy algae broom in my tank now. Maybe I cut down the feeding to twice a day?

Archived