Pod Your Reef

The Official "How to Ship Coral" Thread

mvite

theimpulsive1

love it whe you go into usps with a bunch of express packages. They basically give you a what the hell look... or at least it has happend to me all 2 often. Last time lady asked me so why are you shipping all of these express... I told her they were bromeliads (rainforest plants). heh.

love it whe you go into usps with a bunch of express packages. They basically give you a what the hell look... or at least it has happend to me all 2 often. Last time lady asked me so why are you shipping all of these express... I told her they were bromeliads (rainforest plants). heh.

thats funny when the mail lady brought my package the other day she asked if it was alive. instead of explaining it was live corals i just said it was saltwater plants.

My postmaster says it's fine to ship coral as long as its packaged to contain leaks. I would still rather not say.

The UPS Store new dude has been all like "what are the contents?" lately. I tell him that they are "Aquarium additives". :)

On another note:

IMPORTANT THING TO CONSIDER WHEN USING HEAT PACKS--(DURING 70 DEGREE DAYS IN JANUARY!!)

If you are only shipping 1-2 frags--the heat pack will have a greater impact on those bags. Try to shield the heat a little bit.

Not that I just cooked a $100 aussie acan frag yesterday or anything. :rant:

theimpulsive1

Owch on the acan! The temps have been crazy lately... supposed to snow again this weekend over here.

My postmaster says it's fine to ship coral as long as its packaged to contain leaks. I would still rather not say.

The UPS Store new dude has been all like "what are the contents?" lately. I tell him that they are "Aquarium additives". :)

On another note:

IMPORTANT THING TO CONSIDER WHEN USING HEAT PACKS--(DURING 70 DEGREE DAYS IN JANUARY!!)

If you are only shipping 1-2 frags--the heat pack will have a greater impact on those bags. Try to shield the heat a little bit.

Not that I just cooked a $100 aussie acan frag yesterday or anything. :rant:

Good tip on the dimensional weight. I got killed a couple of times at UPS on shipping, and decided to never go back there again, now I know what is going on with the price. (Probably doesn't help though because the snails need a larger square surface area to move about).

My biggest problem: I have been shipping with Ziplocs rather than aquarium bags because my guy at USPS says that I have to use bags that seal rather than tie. God knows I can be saving a lot of money on the tie kind. Has anyone had a problem like this before? How can I change his mind? (He routinely opens my boxes so I can't just do it the right way, he will catch me- every time I go there I have to have a long conversation on how it is legal to ship snails- he simply doesn't believe me, then takes the package anyway). I triple bag the Ziplocs, and ship moist snails rather than water dependent corals, but there has to be some way around my problem.

Good tip on the dimensional weight. I got killed a couple of times at UPS on shipping, and decided to never go back there again, now I know what is going on with the price. (Probably doesn't help though because the snails need a larger square surface area to move about).

My biggest problem: I have been shipping with Ziplocs rather than aquarium bags because my guy at USPS says that I have to use bags that seal rather than tie. God knows I can be saving a lot of money on the tie kind. Has anyone had a problem like this before? How can I change his mind? (He routinely opens my boxes so I can't just do it the right way, he will catch me- every time I go there I have to have a long conversation on how it is legal to ship snails- he simply doesn't believe me, then takes the package anyway). I triple bag the Ziplocs, and ship moist snails rather than water dependent corals, but there has to be some way around my problem.

Get an impulse sealer, they cost less than you think.

BibleSue got one and it's amazing how much easier it makes shipping.

It allows you to seal any size bag shut.

You should PM her to get info about it.

• 2 weeks later...
theimpulsive1

sounds like that dude is out to get you. heh

The Propagator

Mark,

On cool but warm days that you feel you need heat in the package still just cut a heat pack in half.

break it up so its all lose. Twirl it around a little to even it out on both sides or as much as you think you will need. Cut the fiber and it you have an impulse sealer use it to reseal if not use an iron.

Your done .. and you wont cook your coral.

and YES the impulse sealer will still seal if the bag is wet just be careful not to set it to high or it will burn through the bag and leak SW on it. I have a TISH-200 and setting the dila right about in the middle of 2 and 3 ( 2.5 roughly) seals 2 and 3 mill bags nicely. The trick is to SUPPORT THE BAG undeneathe while it seals and while its cools for a second before you remove the bag from the nylon on the element.

A lot of times if your sealing a bunch in a row the element will not cool down as quick as you need it to and you will either have to chance turning the dial down so it wont burn through. Also, if you don't support the bag while you seal it can stretch out from the melting plastic a make a weak thin seal.

Do what I do and let it cool with your hand still pressing down on the top half for a couple seconds extra.

Thats the best way to make sure you get a good seal in general.

If you use breather bags you can use an impulse sealer on those too ;)

Just play a round with one full of water and your dial settings.

Get a TISH impulse sealer guys. They last longer and aren't cheap ass junk.

ALSO.. NEVER. NEVER buy cheap replacement elements off Ebay unnless you trust the seller very well.

They wont fit 9 out of 10 times. Its easier just to buy them from the manufacturer or dealer.

OR to make your own if you can find the flat wire , the eyelets, and the nylon tape. ( which is what I do now)

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^NOW THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO SEE!!!!!!

Way to take action!

No one is going to put money or frags in your pocket for your tank unless you take the initiative to try this simple hobbyist process!

As for zip locks----I have NEVER heard something so stupid. That UPS guy needs a good kick in the nuts. Go to a different UPS Store and don't tell them what it is. OR--USE USPS--My PO tells me that snails are perfectly legal in the mail--via Express, Priority--whatever.

Zip locks are very wrong, IMO--I have received them from other hobbyists and they are a mess--even if they don't break open accidentally.

I'm in Southern California and currently have a bunch of fairly brittle Monty frags. SEE LINK:

MONTY FRAGS.

Anyway, I've had alot of interest in having these shipped. I've never shipped before for this hobby... If I'm shipping to California, is it safe to use USPS Priority mail? I've read this thread, and once I pick up a few supplies, I think I can handle shipping, but wanted to try it locally before I start offering anything to be shipped across the country (especially this time of year).

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Don

:huh:

I'm in Southern California and currently have a bunch of fairly brittle Monty frags. SEE LINK:

MONTY FRAGS.

Anyway, I've had alot of interest in having these shipped. I've never shipped before for this hobby... If I'm shipping to California, is it safe to use USPS Priority mail? I've read this thread, and once I pick up a few supplies, I think I can handle shipping, but wanted to try it locally before I start offering anything to be shipped across the country (especially this time of year).

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Don

:huh:

When shipping instate, you can usually use UPS Ground and get the frags there overnight. Just go to ups.com and get a Quick Time and Cost quote, it'll tell you.

• 3 months later...
fsu1dolfan

Hey great thread!!

I am thinking about shipping some of my mushrooms frags. Would Priority mail be okay (i know overnight would be best)?? I live in Florida and its pretty hot lately...i am would be shipping to PA....would a heat pack still be necessary??

Thanks

Hey--thanks for checking us out. Make sure to let us know what works.

I would say that you probably need a heat pack to PA. It's 48 here right now...... I would use an insulated box and heat pack----wrap the heat pack in newspaper and separate it from the frags----maybe with a small piece of styro or some crumbled newspaper separating the heat pack from the corals.

As for Priority---that's a tough call--especially when the temps aren't consistent yet. I would say you could do it as long as you had a heat pack that would last long enough.

Good luck! Let us know!!

fsu1dolfan
Hey--thanks for checking us out. Make sure to let us know what works.

I would say that you probably need a heat pack to PA. It's 48 here right now...... I would use an insulated box and heat pack----wrap the heat pack in newspaper and separate it from the frags----maybe with a small piece of styro or some crumbled newspaper separating the heat pack from the corals.

As for Priority---that's a tough call--especially when the temps aren't consistent yet. I would say you could do it as long as you had a heat pack that would last long enough.

Good luck! Let us know!!

Thanks for the info....its funny how us floridians forget that summer starts 5 months before anyone else....Well i will definitely use a heat pack....as for the method its really up to the buyer....i would prefer overnight but its costly...i will let know how it goes, if the sale goes through....thanks again

I havne't read the whole thread, but as a guy that works air freight and sees a LOT of live fish and rock shipments, please allow a few comments that may be repetitive.

Don't worry about dimentional weights. It's not going to apply. Dimensional weight is for light items, like styrofoam. With the water in the box it shouldnt' apply. And if it does it won't be a huge difference.

DO mark the outside of your box. This side up. Live Fish. Do not chill. Perishable. Keep away from heat. Anything you can think of, so long as it's not more then 2 or 3.

The box WILL get tossed. Yes, that's right. You can mark it fragile all you want, it WILL get tossed around.

DO NOT ship only in styrofoam boxes. More and more airlines are no longer accepting this. They must have some sturdy outside packaging as well.

These are based on my 10 years of experience with an airline, and doing the cargo for I think effective in two weeks I'll be up to 7 airlines. They apply to the USPS, FedEX, and UPS as well simply because they all (yes FedEx too) ship on the airlines occasionally.

Lastly, it never hurts to hook the air freight guy up with a free frag! fingerscrossed OK, not really, but I had to try.

Carolinapico
I havne't read the whole thread, but as a guy that works air freight and sees a LOT of live fish and rock shipments, please allow a few comments that may be repetitive.

Don't worry about dimentional weights. It's not going to apply. Dimensional weight is for light items, like styrofoam. With the water in the box it shouldnt' apply. And if it does it won't be a huge difference.

DO mark the outside of your box. This side up. Live Fish. Do not chill. Perishable. Keep away from heat. Anything you can think of, so long as it's not more then 2 or 3.

The box WILL get tossed. Yes, that's right. You can mark it fragile all you want, it WILL get tossed around.

DO NOT ship only in styrofoam boxes. More and more airlines are no longer accepting this. They must have some sturdy outside packaging as well.

These are based on my 10 years of experience with an airline, and doing the cargo for I think effective in two weeks I'll be up to 7 airlines. They apply to the USPS, FedEX, and UPS as well simply because they all (yes FedEx too) ship on the airlines occasionally.

Lastly, it never hurts to hook the air freight guy up with a free frag! fingerscrossed OK, not really, but I had to try.

I want to echo this, as a guy that works directly on the UPS Air Ramp here in Columbia. I'm the first guy that touches your packages when they come off the plane.

I want to also really echo the point that your packages DO get tossed. Literally. It will happen no matter what you put on the box, do i toss packages? I try not to if they have fragile, fish, etc written on the box but others don't care. We build "walls" of packages in the bellies of the planes and the trailers of trucks, all of the big boxes are used as bases and all of the small boxes are "tossed" over the large boxes made into a false wall. Be sure your box is sturdy, its quite possible your box will be used as a supporting box in a wall.

All UPS cargo vehicles have a set of metal rollers down the center of it to slide packages on to get them to the back without lifting. Imagine your package carreaning down these rollers at Mach 5 until they hit the wall or another package and go flying off the rollers.

They are still sorted, to a point, on the tarmac. If your package is in the belly of the plane (usually loose boxes that won't fit the containers) it will be brought off the plane into the elements and into another container. It gets wet, it gets dropped, it gets ripped, it gets caught in the beltloaders and crushed....you get the point.

One last note, even in mid July with 90+ temps here when the plane first comes in and i crawl up into the belly its COLD (Though quite refreshing on a summer day on the tarmac). You don't want to compensate with more heat packs for this, but do provide the right insulation on your package. At the same time, the containers that go onto the plane full of packages can get well over 100 degrees. They are prepared in the morning and sit in the sun until they are ready to be loaded with their doors shut.

On the air ramp, UPS works on the clock not the fragility of your packages i'm sorry to say. We have a certain amount of time to offload and upload each plane and trailer I don't want this post to discourage anyone from shipping, just be aware and pack accordingly.

Where do y'all buy your shipping supplies like boxes? I'm looking for some small boxes (6x6, 8x8, etc) to ship in.

What do you guys think of shipping all sorts of coral with carbon pellets? I've received some SPS with carbon but never any softies. Is there a reason for this?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...