Pod Your Reef

New people, READ ME!

halfpint

Alright, NR vets and otherwise smart members, let's make an informative topic for new people to read. Hopefully this will reduce the "why is there so much brown algae all over everything?" and "why did my damsel die when he bit the lit firecracker that I tossed into the tank?" Just post your pointers and discuss whatever ones that have already been posted. Please don't hyjack this thread. It doesn't need to be 8 pages of crap. Just 1 or 2 pages of good, useful information.

I'll go first. N00bs, here are some common problems that you shouldn't worry about.

• The imfamous "brown algae bloom." It happens to everyone who sets up a tank. So don't panic.
  • The nytrogen cycle. Learn it before setting a tank up. It goes Decaying matter = Ammonia = Nitrite = Nitrate = Nitrogen gas. Wait it out. Don't add anything until Ammonia, nitrite, and most of nitrates are gone.
  • Feeding. Don't feed your fish every day. Nano tanks build up waste easily, so feed every other day or every three days.

• Like 26
  • Go very slow in the begining. In this hobby, only bad things happen fast!

• Find a mentor in this hobby and duplicate what's working for them. Thanks Fish and Jemram. :)

Edited by jgreen
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

set aside a special "my aquaria" fund when you first start studying and planning. It doesnt have to be national debt expensive, but if you don't start saving a little here and there when you start, you'll end up getting the 'cheapest' first then wanting to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade when you get money. Why not start out with a couple of good items you really want like lights, filter, etc in the beginning instead of having a closet full of stuff you cant use and nobody wants in the end.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

there is a search button here on NR. try typing in the topic you are looking for there first. not only has it probably been covered, but you will find all your answers instantly instead of having to wait for replies.

and when you do post a question regarding unusual activity in your tank or your cycle, make sure you post all your water parameters, as most people won't be able to accurately help you without them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The search button is good, but in addition, I also use google search for more info. Also read as much as you can. I'm not very technical oriented and I like to keep things as simple as possible. One book that I enjoyed reading was The Nano-Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell. Lots of great pics, (alright I admit I liked the pictures), and has a lot of info.

One more thing, be very Patient and take your time. For example, don't decide to put in a BTA for your clownfish after the tank has been up a few weeks. ;)

• Like 6

Let your tank mature for at least two months after the cycle if you want it to be more stable. I have done this with 7 of my tanks and I haven't had a crash yet.

When you're adding livestock, add your peaceful fish first, wait a week or so (to allow him to get his territory together) before adding semi-aggresive fish. This will increase your chances of harmonious co-existence.

Before buying a coral that you aren't familiar with, google it's name like this "*coral's name* care" that will give you better chances of survival.

DON'T USE CRUSHED CORAL FOR SUBSTRATE!!! For best results, use Arag-alive wet-bagged sand. It's awesome. Just be sure to check the expiration date on the bag before buying.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

In most cases, don't believe anything that a person at the LFS tells you. They will (in most cases) BS you, just to get you to buy more.

[EDIT]Thanks, mods for the sticky! We just need more of the experienced people to shed osme light in here.[/edit]

Edited by halfpint
  • Like 6

Wait for two months or so after you decide you reeeeeeaaaalllly want a tank and see if you still do. While you are waiting, read and read forums like this and if the bug is still there it will be that much sweeter to set up your tank and you will have a lot fewer 'noob' questions or surprises B).

• Like 5

watch your salinity every day. an ato is invaluable.

watch your temperatures in the spring/summer.

don't eat yellow snow in the winter.

the most important reefing technique is patience.

the most important aspect in reefing is lighting.

the most useful device is a turkey baster.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 4

Automation is a double-edged sword. While you'll enjoy all the extra free-time that you could've spent topping off your tank, turning your lights on and off, etc etc, it just adds that many more things to go wrong once you go on vacation.

When you go on vacation, prepare for the worst. If something is about to malfunction, it WILL wait until you've left for vacation before it actually breaks.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Rushing anything will lead to problems down the road.

You pay for what you get. If you cut corners early on, you'll have to deal with the repercussions of your decisions later once your tank has matured.

• Like 6
You pay for what you get. If you cut corners early on, you'll have to deal with the repercussions of your decisions later once your tank has matured.

that is one of the best pieces of advice in this hobby. don't cheap out on stuff or cut corners in the beginning, because it will end up costing you in the long run.

• Like 3
Scott Riemer

DO NOT impulse buy anything, especially livestock. Walk out, go home, research needs as far as environment, compatability, feeding habits, etc. In my experience, local fish stores will tell you what they think you want to hear, research for yourself.

Edited by Scott Riemer
  • Like 6

one thing I always realized after setting up tanks is regreting about the design or how something works about the tank. It could be how your closed loop is setup, or design of sump or etc.... after u filling the tank with freshwater, make sure everything works exactly way u want and make sure it has more flow then what u want before u add salt, cause later as tank matures, some of adjustment is virtualy impossble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1