• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

supernip

supernip

The fairest of them all

• Members
  • 15,471 posts
  • Joined 13 Oct 2002

we havent even set up the rules yet. I hope this can be a joint effort between nano-reef and reeftuners. Like keep the diaries on reeftuners for easy info logging

and the chitchat here.

I want this to be about a concept, whether focusing on technical equipment, technique or otherwise.

Sudoku Champion

23w1jr9.jpg

Maeda

Maeda

Heart Breaker/Life Taker

• Members
  • 4,497 posts
  • Joined 20 Aug 2005
  • Camp Snake Bite

we havent even set up the rules yet. I hope this can be a joint effort between nano-reef and reeftuners. Like keep the diaries on reeftuners for easy info logging

and the chitchat here.
I want this to be about a concept, whether focusing on technical equipment, technique or otherwise.

what concept are we talking about here? I centered my tank around diy, cheap, and easy stuff, to prove that everyone can abandon the all in one.

Project100 - Dream Tank
SPS, BB, DIY, OMGWTFBBQ

Posted Image

SCNRS

duderubble

duderubble

Guy, the New Guy

• Members
  • 18,312 posts
  • Joined 21 Jun 2007
  • SW Missouri
How cool would this be:

http://www.modernvas...php?prod=GCB037

It's an 8 inch cube vase. If you could drill the bottom for circulation and mount it on a cube stand to hold a mini-sump/refuge.

ReadyReefer

ReadyReefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Joined 25 May 2007
i think something like a 20 gallon or less contest where one feature must be DIYed. i.e. lighting, filtration, water movement, etc.

Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

^^Paradox? I think NOT!!!!^^

• Members
  • 3,561 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2006
  • 732, NJ

How cool would this be:

http://www.modernvas...php?prod=GCB037

It's an 8 inch cube vase. If you could drill the bottom for circulation and mount it on a cube stand to hold a mini-sump/refuge.

That's cool. I might get one. Or better yet, get two, make a stand, and drill one and use the other as a sump. lol

Edited by Obsessed Reefer, 12 July 2007 - 12:14 PM.

[10:11pm] Lishoop6: how do i switch chats
[10:11pm] oc: alt -f4 will give you a menu
[10:12pm] Lishoop6 left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving)

Innovative Marine 8G Nano

knappkins

knappkins

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2007
  • Mass and Ct
any updates?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shoot Me_I Explode

Shoot Me_I Explode

I make Maps!

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Joined 16 Apr 2006
  • Raleigh, NC
I'm intrested too. Have a 2.5 ready to go.

varanus37

varanus37

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
  • Joined 18 Nov 2006
  • Dwight, IL
If we're doing the less than 20 gal. option, I've got a 1/2 10 gal. that I want to rig up anyway. Never done a tank for a contest before, I think it'd be fun.

Bill

hbjeff

hbjeff

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 23 Jan 2007
  • so cal/oc
i think the cheaper the cost, the more people will participate, especially those of us who are setting up 2nd tanks for the contest. I could go for a 5g AGA only contest

example 2 categories:

1. basic- max PC lighting, no external plumbing of any kind

2. extreme- 5g sump allowed, no limits

just an example

kind of like nascar, it would keep the equipment pretty even, leaving aquascaping and planning to be the winning factors

Edited by hbjeff, 29 October 2007 - 08:45 PM.

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,637 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL
I'm game. I've been saving milk jugs(for sump) and mylar for reflectors. I'm still working on a archimedes screw pump.

Sushi

Sushi

Formerly Uchiha

• Members
  • 4,344 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2004
  • Southern California

i think the cheaper the cost, the more people will participate, especially those of us who are setting up 2nd tanks for the contest. I could go for a 5g AGA only contest

example 2 categories:

1. basic- max PC lighting, no external plumbing of any kind

2. extreme- 5g sump allowed, no limits

just an example

kind of like nascar, it would keep the equipment pretty even, leaving aquascaping and planning to be the winning factors

5G AGA would be a good choice :)

Posted Image
* With MAXSPECT LEDs! *

Tony

Tony

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 09 Feb 2005
  • Bay Area, Ca.

i think something like a 20 gallon or less contest where one feature must be DIYed. i.e. lighting, filtration, water movement, etc.

I like this idea as a free for all with no limits to lighting or flow. I assume that I'm not the only one here with enough crap in boxes to put another tank together. It would keep the cost down being able to use the stuff I already have without adding to it after a contest ends. I dont even need prizes ( I never win anyway's) , if enough people participate I would like to do it for fun. I wouldnt even care if already existing tanks were able to enter depending on how far along the setup is. I've seen some new tanks posted on the site that are pretty new and wouldnt bother me a bit if they were allowed in a new contest. It may also increase participation.

Edited by Tony, 07 November 2007 - 10:11 AM.

mrmiggidude

mrmiggidude

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2006
I would so definitely be in it if the above ideas went into effect.

Sushi

Sushi

Formerly Uchiha

• Members
  • 4,344 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2004
  • Southern California
Ahh, it makes me anxious. We need a contest soon! 2008?

Posted Image
* With MAXSPECT LEDs! *

MrAnderson

MrAnderson

bad b*tches i'm your dada

• Premium Members
  • 14,493 posts
  • Joined 07 Aug 2004
  • New York
no.
my inner strength flowing, I mastered chi kung
ya'll planet of the apes, standing next to king kong

tinyreef

tinyreef

Sofa King Reefy

• Members
  • 14,331 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2002
  • Livingston, NJ
chris might hate me for this but...

i'm actually a little surprised no sponsors have considered (really bothered chris for) name-sponsoring a new contest in their sub-forums here. e.g. section off a spot where their ads dominate, get their name on the contest, etc. i mean advertising's all about name-mention. and the mention goes on and on for a looooong time. (see previous contests still mentioned years after the fact)

yes, it means more work for the mods but chris could charge for it (and/or watch over it himself :P ). or maybe one of the sponsor's employees charged with monitoring could do it. *cough*job-justification*cough*

basically, it's drawing up the rules (mostly borrowed from previous contests), allotting a new sub-forum, desginating calendar/dates for criteria (startup pics, 1-month pics, 3-month pics, 6-month pics, etc.), and then leaving the judging and prizes to the sponsor(s).

...i hope chris doesn't ban me for this. :unsure:

MrAnderson

MrAnderson

• Premium Members
  • 14,493 posts
  • Joined 07 Aug 2004
  • New York

I know some of you would like to continue on the with the contests, but here are some reasons why I felt they were not working:

A bunch of people go through the extra effort, cost, etc to setup a second tank just for the contest. Then more than 80% fail for various reasons. Some people run out of money, some don't have the time, some crash, etc. It just seems like such a waste. I would rather have people focus on their first tanks.

There's also a huge disadvantages created. Members without established tanks that participate don't have mature corals, rock, etc. to add to their new system. Money also plays a huge factor. But even if there was a cost limit to the contest, it cannot be enforced. Prices on corals and equipment vary vastly from city to city, and corals and fish could simply be traded for or gotten for free from friends.

it's not the work for us that is the problem, but participation. each time there's a huge demand for a contest, but a year later when it's been organized and started, finished and ready to judge, there's only a handful of participants that stick it out to the end. after a full year, many of the really outspoken voices that requested a contest have moved on to a new hobby like pokemon cards or WoW.

clifford513

clifford513

Go back to the shadow!

• Members
  • 11,638 posts
  • Joined 05 Dec 2002
  • Tennessee

after a full year, many of the really outspoken voices that requested a contest have moved on to a new hobby like pokemon cards or WoW.

:lol:

Sounds like Chris is thinking about the livestock too :)

I'm already big time. ~Nuhtty

Posted Image

Plank tells jokes.

I get my balls broken for the same reasons...such is life in the world of fish dorks

Sure, it's only a 1/2 inch tho, you may want somethin' bigger.

svvad

svvad

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • Joined 25 Mar 2006
  • Houston

it's not the work for us that is the problem, but participation. each time there's a huge demand for a contest, but a year later when it's been organized and started, finished and ready to judge, there's only a handful of participants that stick it out to the end. after a full year, many of the really outspoken voices that requested a contest have moved on to a new hobby like pokemon cards or WoW.

When I went to school only 5% graduated ... Does that mean that people shouldn't go to school ? I think this is part of contests ... only the elite can win :)

Edited by svvad, 12 November 2007 - 07:49 AM.

adinsxq

adinsxq

hello kitty

• Moderators
  • 14,527 posts
  • Joined 30 Sep 2002
  • CA, VA

srsly.

Long live the CM!

epicfish

epicfish

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • Joined 10 Sep 2006
  • Mexico, TX
Patron Pico Reef Contest, adin.

fraggle rockette

fraggle rockette

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,282 posts
  • Joined 04 Mar 2007
  • Los Angeles, CA
pffft- fine then cm, if u don't like the contests anymore, we'll just take it over to that other new get away with anything and everything reefing site :P

(i'm jk please don't hurt me!!! :lol:)

or pogs... i'd personally get distracted by pogs :happydance: :(

Edited by fraggle rockette, 12 November 2007 - 09:51 AM.

XANADUUUU!!! (and sometimes don't): My 24G AP

i'm really not gay... i was once engaged to a slab of bacon with a vagina. true story

why do people get so enraged by someone making fun of a FISHTANK?? this is the one thing i can't wrap my head around... IT'S A BOX OF WATER, PEOPLE. I'M NOT BANGING THE GUY'S WIFE OR ANYTHING.

Cell mate: "what you in for?"
You: "Me? Coral price switching---It was an acro and I called it chaeto"
Cell mate: "Hey look, there's a dollar bill on the floor--can you get that?"

MrAnderson

MrAnderson

• Premium Members
  • 14,493 posts
  • Joined 07 Aug 2004
  • New York

pffft- fine then cm, if u don't like the contests anymore, we'll just take it over to that other new get away with anything and everything reefing site :P

you would leave me over THIS?!

but there's so much more...!

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Space Dog!

• Administrator
  • 8,619 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2001
  • Phoenix, AZ
Pogs are quite distracting indeed! I just got a shiny new slammer :lol:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

andykee

andykee

...and if I hit the switch, I can make the ass drop

• Members
  • 10,439 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2004
  • san diego, ca

Patron Pico Reef Contest, adin.

i got my bottle!

omgomgomg
[ 5D | 17-40/4 | 35/1.4 | 24-70/2.8 | 85/1.8 | 15 fisheye ]

website | blog | flickr