SaltCritters.com

Christopher's Nano Reef

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

The caulerpa did help quite a bit.  I now just get a light coating of a diatom like algae on the glass, which is due to the high phosphates in the tank.  I only have to clean it off once a week though.

I have always kept it clean of coraline algae on the glass and back, so that is probably why it has a new look to it.  I just like the clean look of the aquarium.

• 3 months later...
Christopher Marks

Well, today I finished a new tank for my nano reef. My original tank was the first aquarium I ever made :) so as you can imagine it's far from perfect. (and I'm unfortunately a perfectionist) The original tank used my first design, which was the wet/dry model, and has a 4" wide sump rather than a 3", which I changed on my last tanks in production.

So, my new tank gives an extra inch of space for the main tank, and is a refugium model, which has the refugium in the back. I will move everything over from the old tank probably tomorrow. I plan to eventually use the refugium for a refugium, once I can make a new canopy with proper lighting for it, but for now it will just be a plain old sump.

Oh, I also have some news for everyone who was hoping to get a nano reef aquarium from me, but couldn't because of the close. Another company (to remain nameless for now) has shown some interest in bringing on my line of products for mass production. So with any luck, Nano Reef Aquaria will reopen :)

I'll have pictures of the new tank soon.

Christopher Marks

Well, I was too impatient and went ahead and tranferred everything over to the new tank just now. The move went very well...I am quite pleased myself.

I'll have pictures up in about an hour!

Christopher Marks

The aquascaping is just about how I want it...not quite like the last one. It is certainly nice to have the extra inch in the tank too. You will also notice that I've added a sand bed with the new tank change, and also that the water intake to the filter is on the other side (for no particular reason).

good to see those tanks will be back in production. I hope you sold the plans for a decent amount of money and not a lifetime of live rock.

When my baby is born I was hoping to transfer my tank into one of your fuge tanks. Now maybe I will be able to.

Christopher Marks

X) Sorry Po! It was a very recent change I had made. As far as production goes...everything is far from official or complete...it's just being thought about and discussed at this time.

The tank is doing good today, all the cloudyness has been filtered out and the corals are opening up more.

Christopher Marks

Thanks. Since the main tank is 1" wider, and the sump is now nearly filled to the top because it is the refugium model...the overall water is more like 9 gallons, though the actuall overall tank dimensions are the same.

Archived