Coral Vue Hydros

[Custom] Calvin415

calvin415

That is an awesome tank! Good job. Can't wait to see it set up.

Thanks!

I cant wait to see it on the wall.

Me too! Unfortunately it will take even longer now...

Tonight I did my water test and it holds great! Now for the bad news... Too much piping, and not enough water pressure. The flow was so low that I couldn't even feel the water coming out. To fix this I changed the pump to run 3 ports (one side) instead of all 6 and now I need to get another pump to run the other side (another week to get here :( ).

Here's some pics with water and video of the ripples with 3 ports

DSCN2460.jpg

DSCN2461.jpg

DSCN2462.jpg

th_DSCN2464.jpg

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

................................................................................

................................................................................

im speechless.... that is possibly the coolest tank ive ever seen.....congrats on something truly unique! cant wait to see it as it gets set up and running!

wow calvin!! looking good... i was wondering about the pump.

how much does that bad boy weigh? you anticipate any problems?

as far as lighting... what are you thinking? i've heard of long tanks using light movers... are you going to do something like that? Or like, bunch of t5s or something?

Sweet. B)

Thanks!

im speechless.... that is possibly the coolest tank ive ever seen.....congrats on something truly unique! cant wait to see it as it gets set up and running!

Thanks for the compliment! The extra pump is ordered and should be here Thursday so I hope to wrap this up this weekend. :)

wow calvin!! looking good... i was wondering about the pump.

how much does that bad boy weigh? you anticipate any problems?

as far as lighting... what are you thinking? i've heard of long tanks using light movers... are you going to do something like that? Or like, bunch of t5s or something?

Yeah, I thought 370 gph would be enough, I mean that's 60 GPH per port but I guess the piping was too much, it felt like 2 GPH. Not even a ripple and I couldn't feel a think coming out of them.

The tank empty weighs about 30lbs??? So I estimate the tank to weigh about 200 lbs max! I'll be using 3 MAX Brackets which can hold 500lbs each so 200lbs on a 1500lbs capacity shelf should be cake. Plus it will be on an exterior wall (2x6) so I should have nothing to worry about.

For lighting I'm planning on a pair of VHO's, I would rather have T-5's but I've already got the ballast and endcaps so I better use what I've got. I'll build an acylic canopy sometime this week for the lights to mount in.

awesome tank! Truely Unique. I love it. Following along.

Thanks!

holy sh!t that tank is awesome! i'm gonna be following this for sure...

hehe, why not use a 48" sunpod for lighting B). you might be able to keep a few things alive with that ;) lol

and i'm serious, too

holy sh!t that tank is awesome! i'm gonna be following this for sure...

hehe, why not use a 48" sunpod for lighting B). you might be able to keep a few things alive with that ;) lol

and i'm serious, too

Thanks for the compliment! As for the light, I don't need anything that intense... The tank is shallow and VHO's should be more than enough.

I love it, the "longeness" is really cool.

Can't wait to see the finished product

LOL! That's what what my wife says! LOL!!!

WOW, Calvin, you just won the custom category lol.

LOL! I wish; actually I don't really care who wins this just gives me an excuse to tinker with some ideas in my head... :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

calvin, i'm sure you thought of this, but given the odd shape of your tank, are you going to use a sheet of foam underneath to help with the weight? i'm assuming you're putting it on an actual shelf, rather than the brackets.

Good question Charlie, I will be placing the tank directly on the shelf (which will be mounted to the brackets). With a tank this small and acrylic so thick, I don't see any need or benefit of foam.

looks awesome i think you have this category wrapped up if you stock it right ;)

Well stocking it right is the plan... Or at least my opinion of stocking it. The 2nd pump should be here tomorrow so we'll see how things run at that time... I haven't had time to do anything else for this tank, just been working on finishing sumps for others.

Thanks for all the feed back folks, I'll take some more pics tomorrow provided the pump makes it here on time (blizzard moving in tonight :( )...

dang that looks awesome.

can't wait to see it with some livestock!

if this works, this is sooo in the area of my next tank for my office.

Thanks guys! Well it looks like my pump won't be here until tomorrow... :( 30-40 mph winds and 12inches in the street so far and it's just getting started.

DSCN2467.jpg

DSCN2466.jpg

th_DSCN2465.jpg

As for the light, I don't need anything that intense... The tank is shallow and VHO's should be more than enough.

haha, when does anyone "need" halides for a nano? you know you WANT to ;):P

OH! but fyi, coralife does make a super slim single t5 HO fixture that is only 2" wide. it would be a nice top-off for your long and slender tank design.

oh man, that is more snow than ive seen in the past four years combined........ but ive seen about 10 times that amount in rain! go pacific northwest!!!!

That *is* the coolest tank I've ever seen. I will totally build one like that when I can afford it, only multiply the volume by 10 or so.. Extremely cool!

Archived