ReefCleaners.org

[Custom] one8thscale

one8thscale

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

nice work! i like that echino coral.... any chance i can snag a frag from you sometime ;) Your tank is quite beautiful..... simple, yet stunning!

WOW! the dementions of this tank make it look like its a big tank, but its not. Lol keep up the good work.

Thanks!

nice work! i like that echino coral.... any chance i can snag a frag from you sometime ;) Your tank is quite beautiful..... simple, yet stunning!

Thanks and yeah once it grows out more i will frag. It's actually growing quite quickly in this tank.

I'm really diggin the acan an echino!

:D

FTS -_-

Yeah, I know I'm due for an update. Been busy and didn't add more livestock before the cutoff date. That reminds me, I'm due for a water change on this tank. Haven't done a water change in like 3 weeks.

Okay so here's my January update.

Just did a water change, haven't done one is about 3 weeks, so yeah the tank was dirty.

Corals

About a week before the deadline I added a couple more zoo frags, and my Sun Coral that's not doing so well. Moved it to this tank so I can feed it without my fish and shrimp picking at it.

Some zoo colonies are growing while some have gone or are declining and some have not growing at all. Too me it seems as thought the more colorful ones are doing much better then the brown ones. Maybe the 175W has to do with it.

I tried to keep the xenia away from the rock work but has managed to reach and attach the the rocks. LPS are doing well, the echino is growing a lot and the hammer and frogspawn are still getting bigger.

Fish

The clown goby is MIA the past 2 days. The night before bed I saw it and then the next day, came home from work and could not find it. No fish on the floor, but my cat could have snacked on it if it did jump. So now no fish and I can't add anything else. Bummer

Problems

Yep I have flatworms, but they don't seem to be bothering the zoos or anything else. Maybe they could be the problem for some of my zoos dying. Right now just siphoning them out manually, but they just keep coming back.

Pics

jan04.jpg

jan05.jpg

jan03.jpg

jan06.jpg

jan02.jpg

jan01.jpg

FTS 01/30/07

janFTS.jpg

Yep I have flatworms, but they don't seem to be bothering the zoos or anything else. Maybe they could be the problem for some of my zoos dying. Right now just siphoning them out manually, but they just keep coming back.
It’s really looking nice; although I’d try to take care of the flatworms. Salifert Flatworm Exit does work; however, I had to follow up with another dose, shortly after the first, to get them all.
It’s really looking nice; although I’d try to take care of the flatworms. Salifert Flatworm Exit does work; however, I had to follow up with another dose, shortly after the first, to get them all.

I have that and use to do the dip, but got lasy and now i'm paying for it. I read up on using it on RC but am afraid of a tank crash since dying flatworms release toxins. Did you have to do a big water change after? Did you run carbon. Really want to get rid of it but with a tank so small just worried I might kill everything. LMK your system. Was also reading that some wrasses eat them, what do you think?

man i love your shallow-long-load-yet spacey look.

my sixline got rid of my worms. great fish with tons of personality if you're thinking of looking for a natural predator.

I read up on using it on RC but am afraid of a tank crash since dying flatworms release toxins. Did you have to do a big water change after? Did you run carbon. Really want to get rid of it but with a tank so small just worried I might kill everything. LMK your system. Was also reading that some wrasses eat them, what do you think?
A couple of years ago I successfully eliminated flatworms in a 15 gallon tank using Flatworm Exit. I remember that I was concerned about the toxins too; so I used an eyedropper to suck out as many as I could find (one or two dozen) before I treated my reef. However, when I added the Faltworm Exit, I saw about a couple of dozen more starting to move around (then they start to float as they begin to die).

As you stated, Flatworm Exit is safe for reefs, but the toxins that flatworms give off as they die are not; so you must remove the carbon when treating, but then run new carbon when the flatworms start to die. In addition to adding the fresh carbon, I continued to remove them from my tank as fast as I could find them (using a siphon, effectively performing a water change).

I treated my tank in a similar way the next day and found a few more. I followed the treatments with several partial water changes and I replaced the carbon a few times shortly afterward.

A natural predator (like a Six Line) is a good way to go if it is a fish that you would like to keep after the problem has been resolved. I’d normally recommend a little larger tank for one, but the dimensions of your tank might make it more suitable. Once the Six Line gets established, you might have problems adding another fish.

So now no fish and I can't add anything else. Bummer
I thought January 15th was just the ‘last day to add new corals’ and didn’t apply to fish. :unsure:
  • 1 month later...
one8thscale

FEBRUARY UPDATE

Treated the tank with FWE and all is good now, no more flatworms. No fish and things are the same, things are growing and yup that's it I guess.

feb_03.jpg

feb_02.jpg

feb_01.jpg

feb_04.jpg

Thanks buddy, but looks like Calvin will win the custom category.

Don't give up, I don't think his tank is any better then yours.

one8thscale
Don't give up, I don't think his tank is any better then yours.

Thanks for the support DD. Not giving up, although I did want to when I had the flatworms, Calvin's tank did just win nanoTOTM on RC, but you never know what might happen.

I think you've got my vote here...

calvin tank will probably win, but its not for the prize, its for the fun :)

nice dendros brah~

one8thscale
calvin tank will probably win, but its not for the prize, its for the fun :)

nice dendros brah~

Totally (also for bragging rights) :D , and thanks.

I think you've got my vote here...

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
one8thscale

FINAL SUMMARY

Specs

Display

Dim: 27x12x5 (LxWxH)

Approx: 7 gals

Sump

Dim:26x10.5x5

Approx: 6 gal (filled only half way when running so about 3 gal)

Drilled 3 holes for 1/2" bulkheads (2 returns 1 drain).

Wanted to do something different for the back so I airbrshed a gradient. Didn't really make a difference, but I think it would work for a larger tank.

Return Pump

MAG 2

Lighting

Hamilton 175w 14K Pendant

The Tank

NCtank2.jpg

Plumbed

NCtank6.jpg

NCtank7.jpg

LR and LS

NCtank9.jpg

November

FTS_110706.jpg

December

FTS111706.jpg

January

janFTS.jpg

February

feb_04.jpg

March (Final FTS)

FINAL.jpg

Want to thank everyone for the kind words. I had fun and wish everyone the best of luck! Good job everyone!

I'm really diggin' the long-low look. Great growth, I really like your tank. The gradient on the back looks cool too!

Archived