Cultivated Reef

[Custom] one8thscale

one8thscale

Okay... hope this gets approval and works. Don't really know what I'm going to do yet.

Dim: 27x12x5 (LxWxH)

Vol: 7 gal

Will be using a standard AGA 10gal for sump.

Do you think I should brace the corners or add a top flange?

ENTRY PHOTOS:

NCtank1.jpg

NCtank2.jpg

NCtank3.jpg

NCtank4.jpg

NCtank5.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank!

I'd brace it too. 5" isn't too high, and 7 gal isn't too significant in pressure. But acrylic does have a tendancy to bow, after that, the seams weaken. I'd be too paranoid about loosing such a cool tank.

Good luck.

noobwithatank
Nice tank!

I'd brace it too. 5" isn't too high, and 7 gal isn't too significant in pressure. But acrylic does have a tendancy to bow, after that, the seams weaken. I'd be too paranoid about loosing such a cool tank.

Good luck.

i vote for 1inch euro bracing. :)

I plan filling it up tonight and see if it bows bad. I'm sure it will a little but I don't know if I have the time to euro brace it. Thinking of maybe just adding corner braces (quick and easy). Still might bow, but it will keep the corner joints from coming apart.

Nice tank! What are you using for lighting? Is it going to be a frag tank?

Also, what are your stocking plans.

texx

ps-YGPM

Still figuring out what lighting to use. I have a 130w PC unit or a 175W halide pendant. Um as far as livestock, I'm not sure yet. Maybe mainly lps and zoos. I'm trying to figure out how to aquascape it. Maybe for topdown view? Still up in the air. But first I have to make sure the tank can hold.

^^lol That is a nice tank!

I would just do the aquascaping normal, not for a top down view. It would better like that IMHO.

texx

I don't know I think a top down view would be really neat, it's not something yhou see everyday and if you've ever looked at a clam from above you know you can get a completely different look. Besides with it being that shallow it may be tough to do otherwise and be as dramatic.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Did a water leak test and the tank held up. Got to figure out the plumbing now.

www.oregonreef.com, I believe.

I know Oregon Reef is the first one, but I'm interested in the 2nd picture...

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Did a water leak test and the tank held up. Got to figure out the plumbing now.

Congrats on the water test! Look forward to seeing what you are able to do with this one. :)

UPDATES

Drilled 3 holes for 1/2" bulkheads (2 returns 1 drain).

Wanted to do something different for the back so I airbrshed a gradient.

Braced the corners.

Plumbed.

I was going to use a 10 aga, but then decided to just do a closed loop and a HOB. So I bought this shoe rack thing from Home Depot for $15, but there was no hardware to put it together. So I went back to HD, but the return dept. closes at 9PM (I got there at 9:10) so I just picked up another one.

Then I worked on the plumbing (sorry for the messy primer) but when I hooked up my Mag2, it decided to leak. So now the 10 AGA won't fit under the stand so I had to use another of my shallow frag tanks for a sump.

Now I'm just testing for flow and leaks. So far so good.

Lighting will come from a 175w 14K pendant. LR will come from an established tank and some that is curing in another tank.

Also have to figure out where to put it.

Pics:

NCtank6.jpg

NCtank7.jpg

Archived