SaltCritters.com

Mini_GBR's 24g Nanocube

Mini_GBR

I had no idea that you had to do that much modification to get what you wanted!!

Keep posting new pic's.

Thanks FilmScratch. I may not have necassarily NEEDED to do all that I did, but I was going for an ease of use and an as automated system as possible so I could relax and enjoy the reef more.

very nice!! i really like the colouration in your fish and those mushrooms. wanna ship some over the border? lol

Tim I'd love to ship some to you, maybe when these start to take off and I can frag them out.

WOW! Looks really great. Really like the zoo's, and frogspawn. Can't wait to see it all finished!

texan

Texan, thanks too. I love zoo's, its become an obsession. I got some blasto's last night (pics coming as soon as I can get a chance to stop working), and now I'm afraid I'm addicted to those too. This hobby is endless. Good luck with the pico, can't wait to see the progress.

142 watts total, that's almost 6 watts per gallon

I think you need at least one more 70w HQI, maybe two. LOL :P

Great start on your tank, though.

-Rick

Rick you still got me beat with your 12w a gallon, but I'm hoping my 6w will suffice. Congrats on the birthday, it's great you can have a tank at work, I'd love to have one here. BTW, that xenia you have is gorgeous, that is my next purchase for sure.

I'll be posting, well i guess I have to first take them, but soon I wil have pics of a few new corals and also a new cheap fan mod I finished a couple weeks ago to deal with the heat wave we have had, and the soon to be blistering upcoming summer. Keeps my temp nice and constant though. Pics and descriptions to come.

EDIT: I really am an awful speller

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished this mod a couple weeks ago after the first heat spell out here brought my tank up to 83 degrees, but I couldn't wait for JBJ's nano chiller, and I couldn't bare spending $300, so I came up with this. I think I've seen this around somewhere, so I'm not taking credit, just wanted everyone to know that this is now keeping my temps at a constant 79 degrees. I'm sure I could go lower if I wanted, but everything is doing fine at that temp. For a $15 investment, it's made life a lot easier.

fans_exterior.jpg

and then underneath:

Underside_of_chillerfans.jpg

I should also metnion that my reefkeeper is helping a lot with the actual monitoring, turning the fans on at 79.9 and turning off at 79.4. Without the monitoring sysytem and the ATO, this mod would require a bit more work with the topping off each day. Still, beats a big chiller sitting next to the tank.

New coral too:

blasto_pb_6_8_06.jpg

and FTS:

FTS_6_8_06.jpg

Left:

Rightside_6_8_06.jpg

Right:

leftside6_8_06.jpg

Hope you all enjoy.

-Mike

nanocurious

Great Tank! I Love the little red head goby, such a cool little fish with lots of personality. What do you think of the tail spot blenny I am thinking abut adding one to my 29 gallon, but not until I get my highfin goby/ pistol pair. I also think that your tank would look really cool with some right up front.

Great Tank! I Love the little red head goby, such a cool little fish with lots of personality. What do you think of the tail spot blenny? I am thinking about adding one to my 29 gallon, but not until after I get my watchman goby/ pistol pair. I also think that your tank would look really cool with some blue rics right up front.

I also think that your tank would look really cool with some blue rics right up front.

Hey thanks curious. I totally agree about the rics, I have been searching for a while now to try and get some nice rics for a semi reasonable price. I think I'm gonna have to find som on online, if you have any places you think are good online that you have dealt with, let me know. I love my pistol/goby pari too, its a great addition, and the twinspot, while a little timid when I'm near the tank, if I sit back so 'he can't see me' it comes out and swims all over. I has tried to bully the goby a few times by taking the burrow, but thats pretty much stopped now. I love it though and adds a lot of character to the tank.

Good luck with your stocking, I'm now just starting to really get into the larger coral pieces now that the tank has begun to stabilize. I'd love to see your progress.

-Mike

• 1 month later...
Zero-2-Sixty

thats the best looking tank ive seen in a long time! im glad to see someone plowed the way. i was planning to do that on an aquapod, i was afraid it would melt the hood. if yours is doing good, then ill give it a whirl.

: D i wonder if i should do a 150w...

thats the best looking tank ive seen in a long time! im glad to see someone plowed the way. i was planning to do that on an aquapod, i was afraid it would melt the hood. if yours is doing good, then ill give it a whirl.

: D i wonder if i should do a 150w...

Thanks for the compliments, it is much appreciated. I've been meaning to put an updated pic of the tank, I'll get to that soon enough. Make sure that the ceramic parts of the halide aren't touching the hoods plastic. I have close to an inch between hood and the first part of the halide. Also, fans fans and more fans, especially in this heat of this summer. I have 6 currently, 4 on the surface of the tank, and one to push air across he inside of the hood and another to pull that hot air out. Works well. Good luck, it was a lot of fun to mod.

EDIT: the 150 would be possible, but the compacts may not be necassary then, or maybe just one actinic, which would be really nice I think.

lets see your new clam

Pics will be up tomorrow hopefully, along with a much needed update on the over all FTS. You were right about the top and side view, very interesting. I'm still a fan of it though.

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while since I last posted, but the tank is almost 6 months old, so I figured I might as well post some updates, plus, now that I'm out of a job, I have some free time on my hands. I haven't lost too much, so I'm happy about that, and growth has been slow but steady. I'm most happy about the fact that I can leave on business or pleasure for a week without having problems, although I still become worried about it every once and a while. Luckily I have a roomate that checks on it from time to time.

So, here is a FTS, 9_20_06

FTS9_20_06.jpg

and the left side:

LeftSide.jpg

and the right side:

RightSide.jpg

and an above shot:

Aboveshot.jpg

and an okclam shot. I'm going to try to get a better one, but they are so fickle:

UpperClam.jpg

I hope you all enjoy, I have really enjoyed this site and all that I continue to learn from it. Post any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them. Thanks,

Mike

there you are mike, where have you been

what lighting you running again? i'm guessing halides since you have a clam!

great looking tank, love the monti cap

Hey there EZ,

Yeah it's been a long time. I just got done finishing a film ("School for Scoundrels" coming out on the 29th, worth a Netflix, enless you want a 'cute' date movie, it has its funny moments) which got really crazy for the last month, but now that I am out of a job, I have plenty of time, actually way too much time, to hang out. So today I got thoroughly bored with applying to jobs, and decided to take a few well needed and overdue snap shots.

As for my lighting, I modified the original 24NC with an extra 70w of MH. It gives me 142 watts total, so it keeps the corals happy. I have enough room in the lower regions for some sun shy corals, and still can have some sps at the top. I like it.

The Monti I actually got from the display tank at that Vivid aquarium. I'm heading over there tomorrow if you want me to get you a piece, or give me a few months and I can break you off a some of mine, it's really starting to take off. I also split my pulsating xenia if you want that, I'm trying to only keep a small patch of it.

Thanks for ceckin' it out again, I know its been way too long.

my red headed goby and the tail spotted blenny passed, which I was sad about becasue I really liked them, I solved the problem when I finally caught the hitch-hiker crab that I found two months into the tanks life, so now no fish have died since.

O, I guess I should Update that, sorry:

Fish:

-Randal Goby/Pistol pair

-Purple Firefish

-6 Line Wrasse

-A two spotted blenny

I sold the clowns back to the store, they were taking up too much bioload, as much as I liked them.

LPS:

Blasto wellsi

Blasto merrletti

Lobophillia

Fox Coral

frogspawn

SPS:

Orange Monti

Blue/Green encrusting monti

Green Monti

Lots of different zoas

1 crocea clam

a few rhodactis

a few ricordia (would like a few more, but have trouble keeping them)

several types of mushrooms

and Xenia

My cuc remaians, 6 nassarius, 5 hermits, 10 astrea, and 1 queen conch

• 3 weeks later...

MY TANK JUST SPAWNED!!!, or at least ne of the corals did. I'm not sure which one sincce I wasn't in the room when it happened, and I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but a column of cloudy water and green dots are all throughout the tank. This happend 30 minutes before the lights always go out, if that means anything. I'm going to do some research on whether this is bad or good. I just did a water change since the water isn't clearing out, but otherwise kinda cool. I imagine this means I have a good stable system, but am not sure what this will do to the other corals. Time to do soome research, let me know if you all find something about this good or bad.

I didn't know that they spawned that waya, I guess that could make sense, I really wish I could have been witness to the thing start to finish, and had a camera handy. I was reading afterward last night, and often times what ever did it will do it again the next night, so I'm thinking I will make sure I'm around tongiht with camera and video on hand.

hows the tank doing? well hope its well, i got rid of my old tank and moved up to norcal and rebuilt my set up but with a 150watt de and 2 pc's its so much better than the 70k...hahah time to upgrade.

• 3 months later...

It's been way too long since I've posted any progress, so here is the 9 month mark:

FTS:

FTS9months.jpg

Left Side:

Leftside9months.jpg

Right Side:

RightSide9months.jpg

Topside:

Top9months.jpg

One of my favorite pieces, an electric green and red Lobo:

Lobo.jpg

My Monti Cap Garden from the top:

MontiCapgarden.jpg

And the front:

MontiGardenfront.jpg

I have a few more spots for stuff, including smaller frags of some zoos, but my main issue right now is the large section in the mid middle.

missingcoral.jpg

I want to get a great showpeice to put there, I was thinking either some acan's, an echino, or soome micromussa. i really want something to bring attention to that area. Any thoughts would be of great help.

Hope you all enjoyed,

Mike

• 2 months later...

I've decided to go to the swap (in my sig) so I wanted to post some of the stuff i think I'll be bringing.

I'll be bringing at least 2 or 3 types of monti's out of the 5 I have (always looking for new types too!!)

coralsforsale.jpg

I'm actually un-aware what kind of coral this is, but it seems like a type of Acan in the way it feeds and its' tentacles. I can frag this or bring it as a whole, depending on what interest is out there.

receivedcoral.jpg

Also, my 1 year update will be coming very soon, check back for all the fun and to see the progree of my beauty from conception to it's 1 year birthday!!!

I've decided to go to the swap (in my sig) so I wanted to post some of the stuff i think I'll be bringing.

I'll be bringing at least 2 or 3 types of monti's out of the 5 I have (always looking for new types too!!)

coralsforsale.jpg

I'm actually un-aware what kind of coral this is, but it seems like a type of Acan in the way it feeds and its' tentacles. I can frag this or bring it as a whole, depending on what interest is out there.

receivedcoral.jpg

Also, my 1 year update will be coming very soon, check back for all the fun and to see the progree of my beauty from conception to it's 1 year birthday!!!

Mike, that purple polyp green cap is out of this world, i hope you can bring me a tiny piece of it, even 1/2 an inch is fine :) we can do some trading if you want as well. lemme know bro!

Archived