Top Shelf Aquatics

Live Rock From Petco

JRA89

I was recently at Petco, and I noticed that there was a sign up that said live rock was available for 6.00 a pound. Has anyone bought this rock from then, and if you have is it any good. My other lfs is offering me live rock from Fiji for 7.50 a pound, but on my budget I can't afford that. I have found a lot of different types on the internet for around 5.00 a pound, and then shiping is added on. What does shipping run for about 10 pounds of rock

petco sucks

www.premiumaquatics.com

best live rock i have ever seen

nano rock is 3.99/lb.

shipping is usually like $20-40 for like 10-15 lbs.

even with shipping it should come out cheaper than petco or your lfs

I have found a lot of different types on the internet for around 5.00 a pound, and then shiping is added on. What does shipping run for about 10 pounds of rock

Hi,

Check out http://www.macro-algae.com They sell 10lbs of cured Tonga live rock for $50 shipped. I bought some this week and am very satisfied. No smell and one of the rocks was very big and porous.

The live rock at my local Petco looks pretty dense and doesn't have much life. And my Petco prices it even more than yours.

Mark

it's figi rock, same stuff anywhere else is going to have, i personally think it would be good rock for building a base structure on, then finding a few show quality pieces to finish it off.

www.aquariumarts.com

I purchased some from here to stock my 75gallon I used to have. After shipping it was still cheaper than the LFS!!

The Best rock I PERSONALLY have ever seen or had. I had pieces that looked like they were dipped in purple latex paint, the coraline was so nice!

some do- it was some walt smith stuff and it was actually priced per rock. I was just in the store looking for other pet products and happened to see it.... looked more like red tufa rock if you ask me. Live? Everything else in the tank was dead so... eh. If you ask me, try Chris at ReeferMadness.us he carries Walt Smith stuff and its very nice. Or go to a store that carries real live rock in your area, shipping on rock can be quite expensive and if its more expensive in your locale it may well be worth it.

I was recently at Petco, and I noticed that there was a sign up that said live rock was available for 6.00 a pound. Has anyone bought this rock from then, and if you have is it any good. My other lfs is offering me live rock from Fiji for 7.50 a pound, but on my budget I can't afford that. I have found a lot of different types on the internet for around 5.00 a pound, and then shiping is added on. What does shipping run for about 10 pounds of rock

My Petco always has a big tankful of decent Fiji live rock for $6.99 a pound. I'm always able to pick out nicely shaped pieces with coraline. Obviously, there are some deals to be had online, but I'd rather not take my chances on mystery pieces that others pick out for you.

I certainly do not lump all petcos together a being a bad place to buy livestock etc. They are going to vary from store to store. The local Petco here is a super place and they take excellent care of all critters no matter what it is. Their fish tech is quite knowedgeable. Their fish are great as is their corals and liverock, however their chice of polyps and shrooms leave a lot to be desired as they lack lots of the colorfull ones but what they have is fine....

It just matters if they have a person that know how to take care of SW there or not personal I havent bought anything from any pet at petco. (Im a petsmart kind of guy)

I wouldn't ever buy anything saltwater from petco, and I used to work there!!!

My local Petco I wouldnt give a dime to either. Horrible store!

Thanks for the info. I just put in an order for 15 pounds of nano Fiji Rock Cured and it should be in within two days. I had to pay 4.25 a pound due to premium aquatics supplier raising its prices, but even with shipping added on it was still cheaper than Petco.

All together 15 pounds of rock plus shipping cost me just shy of 90 dollars. UPS two day express shipping from Indiana to Alabama cost around 26 dollars. I ended up spending about 5.98 total per pound.

If you go to www.saltycritter.com , Dan has some good live rock for pretty cheap. I've seen his rock in the store, and it is very nice. Dan's a great guy to deal with, too. He really cares about the hobby, and runs a top notch store.

Thanks,

jeepjon

PS-I always endorse SaltyCritter when I can, as he has really helped me out a lot with the hobby.

Archived